after 7-8yrs they still care about your uni marks? (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
When do employers stop caring about your uni marks? Just saw this on seek..

VP - MA - Boutique Corporate Advisory - to $250k plus Super and Bonus

#
# Market Leading Advisor
# Work on transactions from $100m-$1bn
Boutique Culture

My Client is an independent expert Corporate Advisory house, which acts to offer financial and strategic value to its Clients across MA, Divestments, Equity/Debt raisings and Capital Management. After strong performance matched with industry accolades, a steady increase in market share and huge levels of corporate activity, there is an opening for a Vice President level candidate to join this growing player.

At VP level you will be helping in the origination aspect, working alongside Senior Management to develop opportunities, as well as working through the execution of each deal. You will be used to overseeing and correcting on some occasions, the work of Analysts and Associates, in the provision of transaction support, and will have highly developed financial analysis and accounting skills, coupled with superb communication and relationship management capabilities. Underpinning your application will be a proven history of working through from inception to close, some of the larger domestic transactions in recent years.

You will currently be working for a Global Investment Bank at Vice President Level and will be looking to step across and make a real difference inside this growing force. Remuneration is consistent with the Globals and there is also extensive benefit measures in place. The nature of the role dictates that you will have around 7-8 years working experience since Graduation with a Distinction average. You may also be working overseas, in Europe or Asia and for one of the Tier one Investment Banks with a view to returning over the next couple of months to Sydney. If so, I would encourage your application. Applicants for this excellent post must have top-tier transactional experience from within Investment Banking.Australian residents only.

Secondly i'm planning on doing a post grad degree in finance, so would employers care about undergrad or postgrad marks more?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow... that's tough. I wonder if that takes into account different universities and their respective difficulties.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Yeah postgrad marks are prolly more heavily weighted since they are more recent and may be a better indicator of academic performance. I know my manager worked at MacBank 6 years after graduating from his BCom and they asked to see his transcript.

huangker

Crammer
HSC
I would have thought they get over your uni marks/degree once u start working. Maybe they are refering to post grad study?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's kindof like how some firms still want to know your UAI even though you're applying for a grad position. I don't think it makes that much difference unless there's a tie breaker between two equally qualified candidates.

banco55

HSC
For a $250 000 job they can afford to be choosy an it cuts down on the number of applications they have to sift through.

Capitalist

HSC
Yeah exactly, for that amount of money, they can make whatever demands they wish.

I suppose your academic results would partly demonstrate your work ethic and attention to detail, which might be of relevance when you're dealing with large-scale transactions.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
its a $250k a year job.
it wouldnt be strange to find out the history of the persons studies too

if it was your 5 figure salary job... then they wont care about uni marks n e more id imagine.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you had some PG studies they would most likely look at those too. As people have said, it's probably just a way of cutting applicants down, but those who do make it through, it would obviously be based on other factors as well. I mean for most grad jobs they say you need at least a C or D average, but I know they take people who have a lower average because they have done other stuff. Though this is investment banking and I guess even at grad level they are pretty tough on the whole marks thing.

turtleface

HSC
My thoughts are this:

Marks is correlated with the amount of hard work you do, study wise.

This place wants a hard worker.

Hence they choose someone who has worked very hard in the past, as past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour

Hence they want someone with high marks, because they will work hard for them.

Which is what they want

so they're happy

I hope that made sense

BobB

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Wow... that's tough. I wonder if that takes into account different universities and their respective difficulties.
Yes... of couse, different unis mark harder/easier.... :rolleyes:

You need to be of a certain calibre to maintain a D average at any uni. It was just as easy/hard to get D's at Usyd as it was at UWS and my employer recognised that. They didn't care where I was when i received Distinctions, provided that the marks translated into ability - i.e. given the nature of my job, they didn't care that I received a HD in a philosophy unit that I chose as a sort of "token" elective because it showed nothing apart from that I was able to write lots haha :p

Last edited:

Rohan

HSC
In most positions they dont look at your uni marks once you've proven yourself in the field. However, if they're looking for a superstar they want to see unbiased proof - your uni and CA marks are the easiest way to do that.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm really begining to suspect that (at least in marketing) they don't particularly care about your marks, as long as they're not all passes or fails, if you have some experience and extra-circ. activities. Sure, high marks may give you that slight advantage, but ultimately, it will come down to how well you present yourself in the interview. After your first position, I doubt it would matter (e.g. if I'm applying to be a brand manager, from an assistant brand manager position)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
velox said:
Someone told me they usually put in ridiculous requirements as an excuse to hire someone from overseas.
It makes sense, but not for a $250,000 job.

Then again, it could an asian employer wanting to employ another asian overseas..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)