After the Bomb - Creative Writing & developing Context (1 Viewer)

Tribey

HSC
So Creative writing in ext english 1 makes up 50% of our marks, so thats a lot.
Time and time again in markers comments from previous years etc, I see a recurring theme, that the best responses "were firmly grounded in their historical context"
yeah so thats nice, but how exactly do we develop that in our writing, unless of course we are going for the cliche "FML a nuclear bomb just fell on my back shed" or "FFS im a frustrated 1960's housewife" approach, which, idk about you guys, but i'm not, unless i come up with a super original twist on them. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from them, i have friends who have done them really well, but it's not really my thing.

So yeah, for subtlety and marks we want to develop a strong sense of it being in the timeperiod (so what evs, like 1950, 60, 70's etc), and the only way i can really think of doing this is with descriptions of the fashion and home interior designs of this era etc?

So how do other people develop their sense of 'historical context' in their writing?

SuperGirlTaDa

HSC
My creative is inspired by Z for Zachariah in the way that i took the secondary character's backstory as its hinted at and
wrote it my way and added new things and names etc. Now, I'm just worried if thats okay to do- i didn't outright plagiarise anything of course i was just inspired by the backstory, so i wrote it myself. Do you think I'll be okay? considering its my own writing..

madradoddy

HSC
My creative is inspired by Z for Zachariah in the way that i took the secondary character's backstory as its hinted at and
wrote it my way and added new things and names etc. Now, I'm just worried if thats okay to do- i didn't outright plagiarise anything of course i was just inspired by the backstory, so i wrote it myself. Do you think I'll be okay? considering its my own writing..
I reckon that's really clever- because you're showing you understanding of appropriation and experimental cold war techniques.
And no, it's definitely not plagiarism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)