After The Bomb - Critical Theory (1 Viewer)

HadBill

HSC
Uni Grad
I am interested if anyone has ideas about how to use critical theory in their After the Bomb Essay? Would it be good to have once central theory or theorist that is mentioned in every paragraph or instead, have a couple of different theories/theorists interspersed throughout the essay? Also, what are some good theories/theorists on the concept of individual agency?

HadBill

HSC
Uni Grad
we were told to make short references to many theorists- and then for a couple of theorists, use a quote
Wouldn't it be bad to reference a lot of theorists? Would it be more sophisticated to have just a few, or even one central theorist that us explored throughout your essay?

madradoddy

HSC
Wouldn't it be bad to reference a lot of theorists? Would it be more sophisticated to have just a few, or even one central theorist that us explored throughout your essay?
By many I mean four- say one post-structuralist, one existentialist etc.
But really, whatever works for you, if you can find a theorist that says something interesting about all of your arguments so you can put it in each paragraph it should be fine- i've just never heard of this before

mikipiz

HSC
N/A
I'm doing the spy who came in from the cold and godot and my school never mentioned theorists until i realised the marking guidelines said we needed them so can anyone share some it would be appreciated

Bells88

HSC
I have never heard of mentioning theorists in an essay?! I've looked through Board of Studies, and I can't see anywhere it mentions theorists??

mikipiz

HSC
N/A
they are John F Kennedy's speech (26th June 1963) and Harold Pinter's "The Room"

mikipiz

HSC
N/A
NONE ATM :( yep even the notes from the marking centre said about how people that used theorists were the better responses fml...

clarg

HSC
Some I've used:

Waiting for Godot: JP Sartre
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: Herman Kahn/Bertrand Russell
A Clockwork Orange: Joseph McCarthy
Dr. Strangelove: Dwight D. Eisenhower

clarg

HSC
I'll explain a bit:

JP Sartre pioneered the principle of Authenticity, which states that for life to have meaning, one must live true to their own beliefs/aspirations.

Herman Kahn proposed that nuclear conflict was winnable, and enforced a heavily utilitarian approach towards war. Bertrand Russell, noted as a pacifist, saw the value of this by encouraging disarmament.

Joseph McCarthy was responsible for the second 'Red Scare', whereby people were investigated and had their lives disrupted due to unsubstantiated evidence of Communism.

Dwight D. Eisenhower pioneered the use of 'Brinkmanship', a fairly irresponsible technique whereby a nation brings conflict closer in order to encourage the enemy to concede things, i.e. w/ the Cuban Missile Crisis.

avro

HSC
Don't stress if you didn't. In fact, my teacher said an over use of theorists leads to people not analysing the literature effectively - he said it is better to use theories and relate them to the work.

Martinacal

HSC
can someone explain to me how you actually incorporate references to a theorist/quotes from a theorist into an essay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)