'after the bomb' elective for ext eng (1 Viewer)

jess39

HSC
^ We're doing the same as you.

And I think one of my related texts will be this documentary called The Atomic Cafe. It's pretty repetitive. But I haven't been bothered to find anything else yet...

groovi-gal

HSC
ugh no i hate this topic. it just doesn't interest me. i'm doing hiroshima (which i find really depresing, catch 22 (which i find really grusome) and the spy who came in from the cold. i just flat out hate the topic.
i can understand how you would like it, but its just not for me. i find it really tireing.
i just fail to understand it properly i think. help is always welcomed however!

jess39

HSC
^^ I feel kind of similar.
I feel like I know nothing about the Cold War, despite all the reading I've done. And it just doesn't really interest me.

I wish we did Language and Gender, or Romanticism.

Finx

HSC
To be honest, this elective really feels like a history lesson sometimes.

Waiting for Godot is brilliant.

"Estragon: I'm going. [Does not move.]"

snowconesyum

HSC
I am SO SO unbelievably jealous that you guys get to do this as a module! The texts basically sum up what I found most fascinating in Year 12 English - absurdism in a post-war world (linked to King Lear), and Plath WHO IS AMAZING, and catch 22 such a good text!!!!!
wow!

FamousJ

HSC
Hey all
I'm in desperate need of a related text for after the bomb!
pleeeease if anyone knows one, can u tell me?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

eriii

HSC
Just finished studying 'Hiroshima' thankfully. It is so terrible, why we are studying it when the other texts are so fantastic is beyond me. Catch-22 is so hillarious, almost balances out the horror that is 'Hiroshima'

Mithead, really, Hiroshima isn't that bad. A little overhyped maybe, but not terrible.

Mithead

HSC
Mithead, really, Hiroshima isn't that bad. A little overhyped maybe, but not terrible.
I suppose I resent his style. I find that the whole 'letting the facts speak for themselves' thing gets kind of tedious. It's as though he is trying to appear free from authorial influence, which is clearly a lie if you look at his choice of characters.

I just think all of the other texts are so interesting and abstract, that this one falls a little flat for me.

FamousJ

HSC
Does anyone have any recommendations for related texts?
yeah mate

movies:
13 days
Dr. Strangelove

Songs:
1999 by prince
hospital beds by the cold war kids
democracy by leonard cohen

books:

A song for nagasaki.. forgot the author :p

anyways

hope that helped.

seen as though no one else bothered to post related texts when i asked for them ahah.

jess39

HSC
Thanks. I'm not sure I'd use a song. Our teachers have always advised us against doing that.

afterthebomb-er

HSC
You are all so lucky.
I'm in a class of three students. We're doing Hiroshima, Catch-22 and Ariel.

I WANTED TO DO 'WAITING FOR GODOT' SO BADLY INSTEAD OF 'ARIEL'!!!!

As for the question about related material, you can pick anything post-war. That's 63 years worth of literature at your fingertips. Haha. Just focus on post-modernism and you should be fine.

baybeejulia

HSC
My class is doing The spy who came in from the cold, which is a stupid text where everyone manipulates everyone, and the responder is left not knowing what the hell is going on.
Also doing Sylvia Plath, she's quite interesting, i've never studied a psycho before, she's very messed up!
Havn't started waiting for godot yet, and have no idea what its about, except after the bomb.
This module is interesting, but ridiculous, i never knew english entailed so much context, its practically a history lesson, really, i'm glad i don't do modern. But all in all, im learning quite a bit, and enjoying myself, im just worrying about writing about it.

jet

Banned
HSC
Waiting for Godot is so good. It has a great humour in it.

I dont see why people hate Plath so much. She's just a poet.

And Catch-22 is one of the single most enjoyable books i have ever read. I think its a great topic, but I would have liked to do navigating the global (for the shipping news lol).

ninanoodles

HSC
=] so happy i am doing this module. It encompasses pretty much all philophical paradigms and has such great changes that you can pretty much read anything and it is related... (anything pre-1991)
I'm doing
Hiroshima
Waiting for Goddo
Sylvia Plath :)
Someone said before that its hard to find the atmosphere that Waiting for Goddo springs from... POST WW2 SAYS IT ALL!!!...
Read up on Absurdist theatre... there are some really good essays on it which broaden your understanding on why it is so incredibly random... it can also be paralleled to the likes of abstract/cubist/etc art

ninanoodles

HSC
My class is doing The spy who came in from the cold, which is a stupid text where everyone manipulates everyone, and the responder is left not knowing what the hell is going on.
I feel your pain.. we did that text in year 9 Advance. It was painful trying to extract value and feeling from it then... can't imagine doing it for yr 12

jess39

HSC
I HATE AFTER THE BOMB SO MUCH. ARGH.
And I can't even drop because I'm doing Extension II and I love that and if I did I'd have 10 units anyway which I don't want and argh.
I hate it.

chumasicaloo

HSC
im doing waiting for godot, hiroshima and catch 22.
godot is brilliant!!!! i thought it was absolutley hilarious. Didnt fancy Hiroshima too much, tho didnt despise it. halfway through catch 22. its funny in the same way godot is, but it is a lot bigger text, and its very mind boggling...impossible to read more than a chapter at a time without getting frustrated...
am also looking for related texts...have started watching dr strangelove...

verdades

HSC
I HATE AFTER THE BOMB SO MUCH. ARGH.
And I can't even drop because I'm doing Extension II and I love that and if I did I'd have 10 units anyway which I don't want and argh.
I hate it.

Amen to that.
'Cept I only have 11 units to begin with. So even if I drop Ext 2, I can't even drop Ext 1.

AND ARGH, TEACHER PROMISED ME THERE WOULD ONLY BE ONE ABSURD TEXT, THEN HE CHANGED HIS MIND FROM THE SPY TO CATCH 22!
And I can't handle absurdity.
I can't handle the unit, I think it's utter bull. I think Plath is simply an emo. Catch 22 is just an absurd anti-war war novel.
And Godot is an absurd play in which nothing really actually happens. At all.
The only thing linking them is they show depression and were written in this 'time period'. Nothing else. Absurdism is loved now, it's not only necessarily ATB.
And it's one of the things I can't drop and there's a goddamn REASON there's no-one in year 12 at my school doing modern history.

Agh, sorry, needed to rant.

jess39

HSC
So no one at your school is doing Modern and you're still doing After the Bomb? Wow. Heaps of students at my school do Modern. The teachers are all in love with them and the course is so biased towards them, even though they say they're not doing the Cold War or whatever.
I did not choose Extension I so I could get a history lesson.

I'm so fed up with this course. No matter how much I try to teach myself about the period, I just don't understand. Reading Spy was hell. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. And I know you're not really supposed to, I know that stuff is deliberately held back. But I actually did not understand the point of the story, or who was on whose side, or why, or most of the stuff they were talking about.

Okay. I need to end this rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)