After the Bomb Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Randomist

HSC
Our prescribed texts so far have been Catch-22, Waiting for Godot and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, and my first four related texts were 1984, The Atomic Cafe, The Crucible and the song 'When the Music's Over' by The Doors. I am thinking of doing the Toge Sankichi poem 'At the Makeshift Aid Station' and the movie 'The Soldier' as my fifth and sixth related texts. Would these be any good? Also, could someone post a related texts list for the After the Bomb elective? Thanks.

s-t-l

HSC
Hey so what is your problem? Why are you doing 6 related texts, on top of the 3 core texts.
Um.
Okay, well just a suggestion that pretty much everyone is going to do "1984", therefore if you want to stand out and be different for the marker marking all day and night the same essay then don't pick it, pick something unusual and different.
Also you do realise we have 1 hour to write an essay on your supposed 8 texts? I don't think so Randomist.
Also I love Catch-22!
s-t-l

tess_gee

HSC
haha s-t-l i think i know you.. scarlett? um 6 related texts is a bit extensive, i have to agree. we only have to do like two or three! weird...

Randomist

HSC
Yeah, our school has to do 6 related texts for some reason. We have to write a 1000 word essay on each, and then deliver a 15 minute seminar at the end. It seems a bit much to me...

s-t-l

HSC
Wow. Well your school seems a little excessive to me.
I went to this seminar, and was advised strongly against the Crucible - partly because Standard English do it, partly because it is set in an entirely different era - although I disagree as 'Good Night, And Good Luck' was strongly suggested and those McCarthy events triggered Arthur Miller to write the Crucible. Anyway my point is I suggest not to do that.
Atomic Cafe was suggested and seems pretty interesting..
And also if you are planning to do a song (like I was), then you realise you have to analyse the tone, pitch, etc like in Music?? Not just the lyrics. So I decided against it as I'm not the best at that type of thing. Sorry I don't really know the other texts so I can't help.
Did you still want a list??
Here's some suggested at the seminar I went to:
*'The Plague', by Albert Kamus, 1948
*Japanese 'Godzilla' film
*'On the Beach' - both book and film.
*'Grave of the Fireflies' - a Japanese anime film, 1988
*'Atomic Cocktail' - if you wanted to do songs..
*'Look back in Anger' - a play
*'When the Wind Blows' - book
*'North by Northwest' - Alfred Hitchcock
*'On the waterfront' - something about the McCarthy era as well
*'The Quiet American' - book.
*'Rebel without a cause', James Dean
*'White Noise', Don Danillo, 1984.
*'The Third Man' - Reed.

Is that okay?
s-t-l

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Hey so what is your problem? Why are you doing 6 related texts, on top of the 3 core texts.
I'm thinking flexibility, experimentation and having as many 'weapons' up your sleeves to bomboard the markers with.

tess_gee

HSC
Although I agree that having to be flexible is essential in order to apply texts to certain questions, writing about 9 texts (3 core, 6 related) in one hour means each text cannot be fully developed/thoroughly explored. Are you researching 6 texts so that in the exam you can choose those which are particularly pertinent to the question? Or does your teacher expect you to write an exam essay (like in the trials) using all 6 related texts?

Our teacher has only asked us to research 2.. I don't think this is enough. Do you think four related texts will be sufficient in order to be properly 'prepared' for an exam?

:)

gekoh

HSC
My teacher hs been circulating various dvds- she marks HSCs all the tune.

*Barefoot Gen
*Atomic Cafe
*M.A.S.H. eps
*Mad Men
*Gojira- the original Japanese Godzilla
*Dr No
*From Russia With Love

If thats any help....

tess_gee

HSC
Oh my god! Mad Men is so good! I suggested that to my teacher the other day haha

s-t-l

HSC
I'm thinking flexibility, experimentation and having as many 'weapons' up your sleeves to bomboard the markers with.
As good as that sounds, i agree with tess - you cannot succintly nor sufficiently write about 9 texts in one hour.. it's impossible unless you can stop time.
And i believe a better weapon is to know your 3 or 4 chosen texts inside out and to have lots to say on them. quality not quantity.

A

Amanaka

s-t-l was the seminar you went to early in term 2?? like in week 3 or 4?? i remember there being a really good lecture on after the bomb somewhere far away but i couldn't go, it was the day before my extension english half-yearly

also does anyone know any good related texts specifically for waiting for godot, my teacher recommended the outsider by camus but it's written before 1945 and i can't seem to find any copies in any library.

s-t-l

HSC
yes amanaka, the seminar was at KNOX, in like beginning of term 2.. it was really good. it's too bad you missed it, but did anyone from your school go? i suggest getting the notes..
im not doing waiting for godot so sorry i can't help you there.
but i suggest something a little different, not 1984 or anything like that.

Randomist

HSC
I ended up having to study all of these:

Prescribed:

• Catch-22
  • Waiting for Godot
  • The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
Related:

• The Atomic Cafe
  • The Crucible
  • 'When the Music's Over' by The Doors
  • At The Makeshift Aid Station
  • The Soldier
  • Children of the Dust
  • Dr Strangelove
  • From Russia With Love
Of course, I cannot write about all of these, but I have studied each text to quite a sufficient extent to write about 3 or 4 texts no matter what the question is.

Sheri Berry

HSC
I ended up having to study all of these:

Prescribed:

• Catch-22
  • Waiting for Godot
  • The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
Related:

• The Atomic Cafe
  • The Crucible
  • 'When the Music's Over' by The Doors
  • At The Makeshift Aid Station
  • The Soldier
  • Children of the Dust
  • Dr Strangelove
  • From Russia With Love
Of course, I cannot write about all of these, but I have studied each text to quite a sufficient extent to write about 3 or 4 texts no matter what the question is.
Randomist, i am putting together my related texts for an assessment now where i have to talk about why they would be good related texts. i'm doing From Russia With Love and Death of a Salesman. i was wondering how you found From Russia with Love? i'm not finding it too hard but its a lil annoying because it isn't exactly USSR vs USA, moreso vsing SPECTRE which is neither East nor West. if you have any hinters i would muchly appreciate it.
thanks

walcott

HSC
I know this is a dead thread, but for anybody out there, Salinger's The Catcher in The Rye or "A Perfect Day For Bananafish" are good related texts for "After The Bomb" - reflective of post-war alienation & disillusion.

HSC
I wonder if Catcher in the Rye would be a suitable related text.

Tribey

HSC
There are some nice suggestions here, but not very many that aren't from the HSC online suggestions (which may be the syllabus suggestions, i haven't checked).
My prescribed texts are:
*Hersey
*Plath
*the Spy who came in from the cold

So far for related texts I have done
*Samuel Beckett's 'Endgame'
*James Gleeson's "The Citadel"
*Grave of the Fireflies
and plan to do
*1984 - yeah i know its overdone, but i just like it so much, and it doesn't hurt to have extra material up your sleeve which might suit the question on the day better than another text
*the Watchmen
* possibly also a McCarthy speech

Anyway, Endgame (or for that matter a great number of Beckett's works) is good, especially if you're not doing beckett for prescribed text, and Gleeson's "The Citadel" is good if you want a visual but you will have to work them out yourself since there isnt a lot of information on them in relation to After the Bomb.

Also, as you can see, I have a preference towards the more existential, absurdest, surrealist genre's so if anyone has other texts that work well with those, let me know. I usually tie my texts together with a Personal&Political Ramifications (of the atomic age) approach.

Oh and also, I was thinking about whether Akira (1988) or Hayao Miyazaki's "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds" (1984) would make good related texts, which both have strong post-apocalyptic or dystopian and anti-war themes - relate well to Hersey's Hiroshima as a post bomb Japanese perspective. If anyone knows them and/or has done them, what are your thoughts

Last edited:

HadBill

HSC
Uni Grad
A Perfect Day for Bananafish I've chosen to write about this text as a related text for the After the Bomb study. What themes did you explore in your essay?

sickofschooll

HSC
Okay so i realise that again this is a dead thread but I thought I'd try anyway. I've only just started the HSC, and I really don't have a clue. How many related texts are we expected to be using for extension 1? and does anyone have any tips on how to get started writing about related texts. What should I do to begin with? (I've only got one related text as of yet - Dr strangelove). Thanks

hope14

HSC
Okay... So I realise (like sickofschool) that no-one might reply to this but I would really appreciate it if you did.

I want to do MASH for one of my related texts but was wondering if I could just do a few episodes or would have to do the whole thing ? And if only a few episodes, do you have suggestions for what ones to use ?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)