Agrippina the Elder and Agrippina the Younger (1 Viewer)

staced

HSC
Hey guys,
I have an ancient assesment due soon (a 4-5 min speech) and in it i have to mention perspectives of two people who played a significant role in her life.
one of the people i have chosen is Agrippina the elder, and since she died when Agrippina the younger was young all i can make is educated guesses on what her perspective would have been
any guesses from you?
thanx

atreus

HSC
well, this is tough, do u mean that u have to provide ag the elder's view of her daughter? cos in that case, its kinda hard. i think that gaius would definietely be one of the best to do. u can also show how his perspective changed.
e.g. when gaius first came to power, he needed to establish himself as the rightful ruler, and that he had a strong claim. so he advertised his family, including his three sisters on a coin, to show the strength of the family connection. agrippina the y was portryaed as securitas i think- or the goddess of security, and the idea was that the sisters and gaius offered rome security and other things. but, after he realised that he didnt have any kids, and agrippina did, he satrted to see her as a threat. then u had the conspiracy where gaius had her exiled. so his perspective changed from favouring her, to seeing her as a serious threat.

other than that, nero might be the other good one. again, his attitude changed. he liked the fact that he was living lavishly and had privelege because of his mother's marriage to claudius, and claudius adopting him. but, there came a poitn where nero had had enough, and i think it was suetonius that said somehting about nero hating that ag was involved in eveerything he did. eventually, he thought she was trying to plan a revolt and he had her killed.

alex991

HSC
Her father Germanicus would also be one. although he died when she was only a baby, his prominance within the army allowed her (agrippina) to have the respect of the army and the people. This helped in stopping many plots to kill for example Nero.

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
Or, you could look outside the family at people like Seneca and Burrus. They owed their positions to her, but were involved in her death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)