Agrippina's Legacy (1 Viewer)

uzumakinaruto

HSC
Would anyone have any information on Agrippina's legacy. So far i have been able to sight the colony she founded at Ara Ubiorum, some archaeological evidence, her Tacitean reputation as murderous and ambitious and also the precedents she set down for Roman women in the political sphere. If anyone has any other information or could expand on these points i would appreciate it.

dfm

HSC
put simply agrippina had no real lasting impact on imperial Rome. You may argue otherwise but such a debate would only be a trivial one as no other woman either pro or preceeding her attained the power she did. Her impact was an immediate one, felt during the rules of Claudius and Nero, and during these times, a far reaching one. One might say that had it not being for her intrigue the awful Nero would never have ruled and in that sense she had a legacy, but thats really just crap. Agrippina was extremely powerful but because she mainly only influenced those ruling and 'ruled through them' she didnt leave a long lasting legacy. thats wat i argued in the trial and got full marks for.

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
I got this info from: http://suetonius.blogspot.com/

Its gives the argument that dfm gave, and an argument against that argument

[Agrippina's legacy]
The politically powerful woman would always suffer a devastating ‘image’ problem in ancient Rome, which could be compensated for only by consummate skill in political manipulation. This Agrippina did brilliantly as the wife of Claudius, but tragically failed to achieve as the mother of Nero…

Syme often argued that Agrippina, and other powerful imperial women, were weighty figures in their own day but were essentially unimportant, since they passed from the scene without any lasting impact. This is surely to under-estimate Agrippina's significance. She represents an essential stage in the evolution of the imperial system, in the attempt to give a formal definition to the political role open to a woman of ability and energy. She did not change the hardened attitudes of her contemporaries, but she did define what Romans were willing to tolerate. Her experiment may have been a failure but it was not without its long-term effects. It can surely not be a coincidence that she was the last woman to play a dominant role in Roman political life for a century and a half. Later generations of imperial wives and mothers who might otherwise have entertained aspirations to power clearly took to heart the bitter lesson that Agrippina learned when, in 59 AD, she was beaten and hacked to death by her son’s hired assassins.

Blarghblargh

HSC
Good day sir,

you seem to be quite smart, you got 64% in advanced English! have a good life in "bad-scale town". but seriously, you are quite funny. thanks for posting that agrippina thing and have fun in a non-english related career... goon.

Seven3121

HSC
to get back on topic,
i need to answer a question like this too
i see your point about her having little to no legacy as she had no lasting influence but what about this?
would this count as 'legacy' or something else because i'm confused about just what legacy is asking for:

Agrippina had some sort of legacy in her impact on Nero and his reign aftewr her death. Nero was plagued by guilt and would often see her ghost r "Furies" chasing him as Tacitus says. Her death would also have an impact on his reign as he was now free to indulge in the arts, which Agrippina had forbidden. He began to neglect the efficient running of the empire and began to indulge in the tyrannical rule he is famous for. Thus, Agrippina's legacy includes the fact that her death was a turning point in his reign.

Is that related to legacy in any way... i'm a bit confused what to classify it as.

atreus

HSC
a legacy seems a bit more long term and long lasting. but the affect of agrippina's death on nero and his reign could be mentioned.

syme says that she had no lasting impact, but isnt the fact that a woman did not play such a political role in rome for nearly 100 or 150 years after ag's death evidence of a legacy?
when looking at secondary sources, syme is negative in his opinion of ag. ferraro is too positive about her. barrett falls somewhere in the middle. barrett is one of the best sources for ag because he doesnt necessarily approve of her methods, but gives her credit for what she was able to achieve (somehting that tacitus and suetonius usually attributed to her feminity, rather than her political skills) and im sure from memory that he outlines a few key points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)