AIM or the con? (1 Viewer)

lordofthestring

HSC
hi everyone, i guess you can say im new to this, but id like to know which is the better school to attend n what both schools teach that is different to eachother. Im a guitar player, and i want to study a course in jazz or classical.
Cheers

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There's no competition, the Con is a better school in pretty much every area of music study nowadays. But the Con is primarily a tertiary institution (and part of a University) where AIM (being a private institute) would be more accessible.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Do not go to AIM.
There's been threads like this before, and I've said the same thing.
I went there, studied there for a good long while, so yeah. xD

AIM has no jazz department. It's classical department is an abolishment. Infact, it's quite shocking. Usually I wouldn't diss my old schools and stuff, but it's a shocker for music education. If you're serious about wanting a professional career in performance- DO NOT, I repeat. DO NOT go to aim.

There isn't actually a Jazz department, there's music theatre which they seem to label 'jazz' but 'Music theatre' is not for anything else but voice majors.
The standard of teaching is quite appaling. The academic subjects- such as Music industrie studies and Music Technology are quite good. They have the right facilities for Music tech, and if you wanted to do an AUDIO major degree, I'd say definatley consider AIM as an option, but performance, you'd been wasting 3 years, and a HELL of alot of money. Yes, it's FEE-HELP, but not Commowealth Supported. The prices per Semester are outrageous for the University degrees, and they're not officially recognised as 'standard' degrees. Meaning, if you wanted to apply for a postgraduate course when you'd finished say the Bachelor of Music degree at AIM, you wouldn't be able to apply at the Con, or other conservatoriums around Australia. Yes, you could quite easily get into the AIM post-grad stuff, but that's a whole load of money. Per year one of the courses (post grad) costs 25 000.

It really limits your options, and they have a BAD and I mean seriously BAD performance teaching staff (i'm talking about individual lesson teachers).

The only Plus:

- No audition.

That could be a negative thing too. Hmm, weigh it up. xD

GRX40
HSC
N/A
My piano teacher told me that she once had an AIM student, but was shocked to learn that the reason she had failed her AMEB exam was because she had only learnt one scale. I read a few of the terms and conditions from the AIM website and sure enough, one of them was that it is the student's responsibility to know all technical requirements. Oho. That was mildly amusing.

I've definitely heard terrible things about the performance and composition aspects of AIM, and even that the degree obtained isn't worth anything. Supposing one is rejected from the Con, what alternatives are there? Is it better to work at KFC forever or attend AIM? Err...since it's made out to be so horrible, is placement there guaranteed?

AIM's open day was two days ago, I believe. Did anyone attend?

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
KFC all the way. xD
Hahahaha. I wasted many school years at that place. Load of crap it was. Better off working in KFC -nod nod- Would've gotten a better HSC that's for sure. -cough-
The placement there IS guaranteed if you can pay it.
They don't get hundreds of students applying every year- so they take anyone who's willing.

Yeah, that technical thingo you mentioned above 187, exactly right.
When I learnt from a cello teacher there for half a year (I switched teachers, but still got to stay at AIM) , we didn't do one study, or scale or anything- just these horrible stupid little pieces.
How fun. xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)