aldostrone and adh (1 Viewer)

asl2

For 2 marks... "Define the purpose of the harmones ADH and Aldostrone"

Regards,

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
gee, maintainin a balance..... already forgot..... lolz, doin too much other stuff dat i kinda lost track of the previous stuff, but here goes:

ADH, anti-diuretic homone is the homone produced by pituary gland around posterior regions. it is stored in hypothalamus and is released once the osmoreceptor detects a low water level in the blood. it travels through blood vessels and targets nephrons in the kidneys. it causes the kidney to absorb more water to regain the water level back to normal.

aldostrone is made in adrenal gland. it is released when hypothalamus detects a defeciency of body salt and water. it also targets at kidney nephrons. it causes the nephrons to reaborb more na ions and water to compensate low body salt and water level.

asl2

do you really need so much detail jus for 2 marks?

and i've never heard about osmoreceptor before !!! do they exist ? i thought chemoreceptors detected the change !!

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
yeah i agree... i need to dust my brain off a lil for this one

ok, just a summary of xiao (although it's good to know all he/she said):
- ADH controls water concentrations in response to salt and ion levels in the blood. too much salt and ADH kicks in. too little salt and ADH has a rest.
- aldosterone controls total salt concentration to maintain blood pressure. so in essence, ADH works in response to aldosterone.

osmoreceptor, i think is just a fancy word (but good to use in exams)
osmo= water

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
ADH:
1. produced in the pituitary glands and stored and released from the hypothalamus.
2. regulates water concentrations in our body.

ALDOSTERONE:
1. produced by the adrenal cortex.
2. regulates salt concentrations in our body.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz, sori pplz for being wordy.......
in respondin to elizbethy, i thought adh is produced in hypothalamus but stored in the posterior pituitary gland??
and i thought aldosterone also regulates water conc. aswell as salt conc??

but thx for the produced by the adrenal cortex part, dat addison disease all make sense now...... =)

Lucy Loo

Antidiuretic hormone (ADH)- a hormone secreted in mammals by the pituitary gland, which stimulates water reabsorption by the kidneys, thus reducing water loss in the urine.

Aldosterone- a hormone that regulates mineral and water metabolism; stimulates the reabsorption of sodium in the tublues of the nephron.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by Lucy Loo
Antidiuretic hormone (ADH)- a hormone secreted in mammals by the pituitary gland
Awww... *horror horror horror* Antidiuretic Hormone is NOT made in the pituitary gland, repeat, it's NOT made in the pituitary gland. It is made in the hypothalamus and stored in the prosterior pituitary gland and is used to stimulate water reabsorption. This is achieved by the ability of the hormone to make the distal convoluted tube (after the loop of Henle) become more permeable to water, thus, increases its abilith to absorb water.

Despite the body's actually need of water, the salt concentration is the primary determinant to the retention or release of water. By increasing the concentration of water, the concentration of the salt will be reduced. (Note: no salt is lost, only the concentration is altered). However, the body has to maintain the volume of water in the body as well as the concentration of salt. If the amount of water has reached its optimum, the concentration of salt cannot be simply maintained by the flow of water and this is where your aldosterone comes in.

Aldosterone is produced in the adrenal cortex and it reduces the reabsoroption of K+ ions and increaces the reabsorption of Na+ ions. (The balance of K+ ions and Na+ ions is essential to the function of the nervous system.. hehee.. this is how pesticides work, they stuff up *colloquialism comes in* the nervous system of whatever you are spraying, there are a few ways to do it... aww.. better go back to aldosterone...) Hmm.. if you do Chemistry then this helps a lot.. anyways, Na+ ions in the plasma is usually a result of dissolved NaCl in your body, therefore the reabsorption of Na+ will also triggers the reabsoption of Cl- ions (if no Cl- ions are absorbed.. you will have negatively charged pee...) The reasorption on these ions will increase the concentraion, thus, will lead to the reabsorption of water to balance the increase in salt concentration. The water will then be balanced by ADH again.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
lol well that helped heaps..can't wait till tomorrows trail... its gonna rock..
100% for me
good luck everyone..even though ur all asleep :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)