aligned (1 Viewer)

MCOLT

HSC
what do you reckon this years cut off for a band 6 is im thinking about 85 since it was harder than previous years

johnny_87

HSC
I did lthe 2004 paper as practice (worthless practice). Easier than this year IMHO

MCOLT

HSC
i found multiple choice trickier, the short answers were good but the options were terrible as compared to what they couldve been in past yrs 04 and 03 have easier exams

sly fly

HSC
What was the cutoff last year, and the years before that? Or do we not know

hYperTrOphY

HSC
sly fly said:
What was the cutoff last year, and the years before that? Or do we not know
I don't think anyone knows. I'm pretty sure no-one finds out their raw mark.

It would be interesting to find out if you can learn of your raw mark under the Freedom of Information Act though.

sly fly

HSC
Hmm yeah, but apparently you can find out your raw mark after a certain period of time if you pay for it......that's what I heard.

johnny_87

HSC
It's a load of shit. After going through 13 years of school and sitting the exam, you have the right to know your marks.

johnny_87

HSC
Without Wings - How do I apply for my raw mark under the FOI Act?

johnny_87

HSC
Without Wings - I'm not being biased, but i have done 3 2004 papers as practice.

PDHPE - Definitely harder this year
Mathematics - Crazy. WAY harder this year.
English Modules - Slightly harder this year.

It's not just a matter of content, but the ambiguous nature of the questions, particularly in Maths and PDHPE

johnny_87

HSC
Thanks for the help :)

Yeah I suppose it depends how you prepare your notes and practice questions. The questions in the HSC caught me off guard I think.

Also, in Maths, exam paper questions are COMPLETELY different to the questions in our textbook.

MCOLT

HSC
all i can say is that maths was quoted as being alot harder as was legal studies, and im pretty sure that not every year there is newspaper articles and radio reports saying how maths needed 3 unit skills and legal was unfair. so its fair to say they were harder. as for pe the option topics questions for ip and sm were way harder than any of the previous years sports med was too narrow (ethics) and improv performance was too broad a question (how do u improve performance) i couldve wrote 40 pages on that, so excuse me for being biased but all 3 of these exams including pe were much harder than previous years

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Without Wings said:
theres articles every year about how hard the exams are - the media like to be able to make a good story - how boring would "students find their exams fair"be :p
Anyways maths and legal are not related to pd its a totally different exam.
I never realised that being broad was a problem - it basically means that you can write anything within a large specification and be right and ethics wasn't narrow, look at the syllabus :). As i've previously said, students can be biased as they expect nice easy questions on the same topics as previous years, as they think it's that easy, and it isn't - anything within the syllabus can be asked - and nothing within the syllabus is specified as being more likely to be asked, so i don't know why people assume that specific points are easier than others. Maybe specific points are easier as people don't study the whole syllabus in depth, but only certain areas that they personally predict will be in the exam, and when something else is they find it hard, as it wasn't what they predicted.
If something wasn't in the syllabus there would be a problem, but it's all in the syllabus, and the questions are practically word for word what the syllabus points are, so it seems like a fair exam.
Ditto... :)

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
lol...its not good trying to persuade ppl! everyone will have different opinions on the exam.
i found the multiple choice and cores to be pretty average and basically the same as previous years. the options however, were of a different style to previous years (i have done 2001-2004) so people found them harder to do - i found them particularly boring. everyone is different.

johnny_87

HSC
Without Wings - I used 2 textbooks this year - Outcomes 2, and Application and Inquiry. NEITHER textbook had anything substantial (apart from one sentence) on "barriers to the use of protective equipment". I could understand a 1 mark multiple choice question being asked about the barriers, but a 5 mark response? Surely not.

From what the syllabus specified and what the textbook included, I knew about the syllabus point "protective equipment". BOS are just lucky that students were able to think and use common sense for that question as I'm sure the majority of students use one of those textbooks.

johnny_87

HSC
Without Wings - I have a copy of the syllabus. The textbooks follow the syllabus (as they should). If something is missing, it's up to our teacher to inform us, not us to know.

I didn't say I don't know about barriers. I used common sense for that question, so expect 4 (at the very least 3). I'm saying that the textbooks provided for us should include everything that can be asked.

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

i think it's pretty fair to say that, although it is written in the syllabus stuff about barriers - a lot of people were shocked to find it in a 5 mark question

no-one seems to have remembered their teacher spending HEAPS of time on it

i think its only fair that people who did the hsc this yr be allowed to say that it was unexpeted - as it was for many people. 'students learn to' dot point or no 'students learn to' dot point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)