All history extensioners!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Pogue

HSC
HELLOO!
i'm Aimee, from Vincentia High. I do both modern and ancient, but I find modern more interesting.
For my question I am doing:
"Assess the reasons for the 'failure' of the homosexual emancipatin movement in Germany during the 1920's"

maxi_93

HSC
Hi i'm max from sydney tech.

prefer modern to ancient.

My school is still doing the 'what is history?' part of the syllabus, we have to have our idea by week 9 and our proposals, I think, are due at the start of term 2.

I'm torn between two ideas:

a) Something along the lines of 'Was George W. Bush democratically elected in 2000?

or

b) Something about whether Ned Kelly really is a hero or just a dastardly bushranger, maybe look at the way his been represented in movies/books and how this has created the Ned Kelly legend rather than looking at who Ned Kelly really was.

123 B A N G

HSC
Hi I'm Alice
I go to maclean high
I love Ancient

I'm doing a project along the lines of the History wars about the atomic bomb and why it was dropped. Boring but I can't be bothered to change it again.
Slash I haven't been looking at the schedule and my teacher was like "yep there is a draft due next week." good thing I convinced him to leave it for next term :p

My teacher doesn't seem to care if its close to the syllabus cos i don't do modern history but im looking forward to the essay should be pretty interesting
It doesn't matter if you'er doing it or not, it can't overlap ANY HSC or school certificate course regardless if you are taking it or not.

kiniki

HSC
i'm nicole and i'm from st pats college in sutherland. we have a new teacher this term and pretty much, have only had one proper lesson ever (last teacher was off in another world)

our proposals due on wedsenday but we've been given no guidance what so ever :( from reading everyones posts, it seems hist x is the sketchiest subject.

i think i'm doing..

'Where does the historian David Irving draw the distinction in his holocaust denial theories, between evidence and intuition, and to what extent can we consider this valid historiography?'

i hope it's coherent, can i have some opinions please? i have another major so i'm keen on making this focus question as clear cut as possible!

by the way, i have hardly no research except for a few websites that helped me choose this question and i haven't started at all - no one in my class has. anyone else?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i'm nicole and i'm from st pats college in sutherland. we have a new teacher this term and pretty much, have only had one proper lesson ever (last teacher was off in another world)

our proposals due on wedsenday but we've been given no guidance what so ever :( from reading everyones posts, it seems hist x is the sketchiest subject.

i think i'm doing..

'Where does the historian David Irving draw the distinction in his holocaust denial theories, between evidence and intuition, and to what extent can we consider this valid historiography?'

i hope it's coherent, can i have some opinions please? i have another major so i'm keen on making this focus question as clear cut as possible!

by the way, i have hardly no research except for a few websites that helped me choose this question and i haven't started at all - no one in my class has. anyone else?

If one of my students gave me that question I would change it to something like:

To what extent can David Irving's approach to the writing of history rely on intuition rather than evidence.

I am sure that I could refine it in time but I think that yours is too unwieldy to really make a solid question. It is rather more an outline of the essay rather than just a simply question and I would put it in the introduction to show the main lines of argument.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter if you'er doing it or not, it can't overlap ANY HSC or school certificate course regardless if you are taking it or not.
The syllabus actually says 'significantly overlaps' rather than simply overlaps.

If it was to simply overlap than it would be far too limiting for the Ancient kids and anyone interested in 20th Century Australian history for instance.

I have one student doing George Patton for instance but if the syllabus was any overlap he wouldn't be possible as he would be part of Conflict in Europe but as Patton isn't a significant part of that study it is possible to study Patton.

le Mali

HSC
I'm Mali from Coffs Senior College.

I'm doing Ancient, Modern and Ext. Modern is my favourite subject. I personally find Ancient uninteresting, unchallenging and a bit pointless. I do well in Ancient so I decided to keep it for the HSC - so that my 2U Maths won't count to my ATAR.

I'm just about to start the first drafting of my work, the question is still up in the air but it's getting narrower. I know my area of research - but the way in which I approach the essay is going to take a lot of thinking to get it perfect.
My research has been based around an investigation of graffiti, determining how to interpret it's historical value and usefulness of it as such. There are many other parts to it as well - I'm using wall sites (Berlin wall, West Bank Wall and Rabins wall) to run concurrent to the graffiti investigation, sort of like mini case studies.

So after that ramble, my investigation is primarily focused around determining the nature of graffiti as an important historical source and the causes of it's major influence upon world events - using the hisorical discources from wall sites to exemplify the argument.

kiniki

HSC
If one of my students gave me that question I would change it to something like:

To what extent can David Irving's approach to the writing of history rely on intuition rather than evidence.

I am sure that I could refine it in time but I think that yours is too unwieldy to really make a solid question. It is rather more an outline of the essay rather than just a simply question and I would put it in the introduction to show the main lines of argument.
I'll take your advice on thankyou! Should it be like,

With regards to the Holocaust and surrounding theories, to what extent can David Irving's rara

or not?

I'm also confused as to the whole topic area and focus question, is the Holocaust considered a 'topic area' or is it 'Facts and opinions/intuition in history'?

Also doesn't that question seem a little more narrow? I would imagine that very little of his writing - if he is indeed striving to have a completley legit set of writings - should be based on intuition! I wanted to explore how his anti-semitism and other religious views come into consideration and then delve into the nature of bias and stuff like that. God, I'm now lost :( I think I need to figure out my purpose..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'll take your advice on thankyou! Should it be like,

With regards to the Holocaust and surrounding theories, to what extent can David Irving's rara

or not?

I'm also confused as to the whole topic area and focus question, is the Holocaust considered a 'topic area' or is it 'Facts and opinions/intuition in history'?

Also doesn't that question seem a little more narrow? I would imagine that very little of his writing - if he is indeed striving to have a completley legit set of writings - should be based on intuition! I wanted to explore how his anti-semitism and other religious views come into consideration and then delve into the nature of bias and stuff like that. God, I'm now lost :( I think I need to figure out my purpose..
Your argument fits well with the question as the question doesn't only mean to discuss what is mentioned in the question but also means that you have to considered other possible conclusions to reach your own decision.

So to assess his intuition versus evidence idea would mean that you have to look at the evidence for and against as well as his anti-semitism, his other writings etc. (I did the HSC in the 1970s and at that time he was a fairly well-respected historian as the worst of his arguments didn't surface until after that time - so did something happen from the beginnings of his career to the holocaust denial writings or was that argument simply ignored in his earlier writings or...

SabbytheMuso

The Geek in the Purple
HSC
I'm Sabby, I go to Newtown High School of the Performing Arts (my gosh that's a mouthful). I prefer Ancient, obviously, since it's the only one I'm doing.

Our proposal was due at the end of last year... which was annoying, but it turned out alright. Despite that, I'm still not sure about what I want to look at. Sort of how the Atlantean myth has become like, the holy grail for historians, how interest is revived every few years, and how it's been utilised at different points in history. Don't know if there's enough info though, there probably isn't, so I'm thinking of changing my topic area.

speedofsound

HSC
i'm really quite excited about the major work, i do both modern and ancient and i love modern but ancient is literally one of the most boring subjects i have ever done. my focus question for my project is: "Abraham Lincoln has been widely misrepresented as one of the most iconic egalitarian heroes in American history." :) oh and i'm Mel and i go to willoughby girls.

Last edited:

le Mali

HSC
I'm Sabby, I go to Newtown High School of the Performing Arts (my gosh that's a mouthful). I prefer Ancient, obviously, since it's the only one I'm doing.

Our proposal was due at the end of last year... which was annoying, but it turned out alright. Despite that, I'm still not sure about what I want to look at. Sort of how the Atlantean myth has become like, the holy grail for historians, how interest is revived every few years, and how it's been utilised at different points in history. Don't know if there's enough info though, there probably isn't, so I'm thinking of changing my topic area.
Did you do Thera in prelim?
Because there is a fair bit you could do with that for the Atlantis myth.
Also, don't give up on lack of info. Have a good dig. Even if you can't find specific info - build up your knowledge of what you can and you can draw your own conclusions.
You can also use movies and books and stuff - analyse their historical accuracy and validacy.

JamesR

HSC
Hey all, I'm James and I got to Lake Illawarra High.
I only do Modern, but it's defiantly the better of the two.
Besides, modern age could beat the heck out of the ancient age in a fight. So. Nuh.

I still have to narrow my question down, but at the moment it's something like-
"What were the main reasons behind the dropping of the first nuclear weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the development of the Manhattan Project".
Not super original and I am not in the running to win the award for best Australian topic, but it's something that interests me. :)

kcqn93

HSC
Hey all, I'm James and I got to Lake Illawarra High.
I only do Modern, but it's defiantly the better of the two.
Besides, modern age could beat the heck out of the ancient age in a fight. So. Nuh.

I still have to narrow my question down, but at the moment it's something like-
"What were the main reasons behind the dropping of the first nuclear weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the development of the Manhattan Project".
Not super original and I am not in the running to win the award for best Australian topic, but it's something that interests me. :)
..... well duhhh..... with the advances in technology today... you know? guns and bombs?

Katsh291

HSC
Kate Wellington High school

Loving ancient history lol i like the whole debate that surrounds it its a little bit more mysterious than modern......

My question is

How do politics effect the presentation of history?

My focus point is the Enola Gay expedition

Having trouble with my stuff on E.H Carr and G.R Elton im doing the course through distance ed so i dont get alot of help some help would be nice from you guys

Question- Compare and evaluate the ideas of Carr and Elton about objectivity, facts and interpretation and the historians relationship with the past.

xx

georgia-ellen

HSC
i'm really quite excited about the major work, i do both modern and ancient and i love modern but ancient is literally one of the most boring subjects i have ever done. my focus question for my project is: "Abraham Lincoln has been widely misrepresented as one of the most iconic egalitarian heroes in American history." :) oh and i'm Mel and i go to willoughby girls.

did you go to neutral bay primary?

mystiquechik

HSC
heyy!
im steph and go to taraaaaa
i do ancient and ext history. must say im loving both and i thought i was potentially going to drop extension but nooo way its too cool and scales really well (Y) :lol:
anywho, my research topic is to investigate how recent studies of Jack the Ripper indicate that criminology and practice of Metropolitan police at the time were flawed by existing xenophobic and anti-Semitic perspectives and inadequate technology.
phewwwphh i need to take a breath after reading that qn.

i dont know what kinda historian will debate bout this topic but hopefully ill find one/some.

atm im kinda stuck on what to write in the conclusion for the half yearly ext history paper. our prac one was :
"Compare and contrast Inga Cledinnen’s interpretation of the purposes of history with the views of at least TWO other historians you have studied. Make a judgment about the value of these viewpoints. "

basically she is the same as von ranke but how do i conclude thatttt
ty all <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)