all the way back to projectile motion... (1 Viewer)

shkspeare

wants 99uai
hrmmz i was reading my excel book and it has the proofing behind why projectiles have a parabolic path

(click the attachment below)

now i dont understand why
delta y = (1/2)a<sub>g</sub>t<sup>2</sup>

if that is the case they are taking u<sub>y</sub> = 0...

i thought for a complete motion, we would take v<sub>y</sub> = 0 and not u<sub>y</sub>

thx...

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
im assuming the object is projected horizontally, hence, u_y=0. v_y would not be 0 as it is the verticaly velocity at the moment when the object strikes the ground, clearly not 0.

zeropoint

HSC
I'm not sure I understand your question. The fundamental equation governing projectile motion is

d<sup>2</sup>y/dt<sup>2</sup> = −g

Twice integrating gives

dy/dt = −gt + u<sub>y</sub>

y = y<sub>0</sub> + u<sub>y</sub>t − (1/2)gt<sup>2</sup>
Delta y = y − y<sub>0</sub>

The above equation describes the vertical position of a particle projected from a height y<sub>0</sub> with initial vertical velocity u<sub>y</sub>. For an object projected horizontally from a stationary elevated platfom the equation simplifies to

Delta y = −(1/2)gt<sup>2</sup>

Hope this helps.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
nothing beyond the 1+1 type of mathematics is in the syllabus... its hsc man ;)
They give you the formulas. Understanding them is HIGHLY overrated, just use 'em. :p

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
They give you the formulas. Understanding them is HIGHLY overrated, just use 'em. :p
exactly
the papers will not ask u to dervie or anything

otherwise there will be chaos

^___^
HSC
i suspect this chaos comes from the incompetent science teachers not being able to do any sort of math apart from the actual calculation with calculators.

us students are superior :D
not my physics teacher, he is an animal..his maths is awesome...and yea, he always go off bout the syllabus and how he writes letter every yr to complain and nothing happened

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i wonder who came up with this idea of the new syllabus... the head of board of studies must be an english freak... first they make english compulsory, then they add three disguised english subjects known as hsc science.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
i wonder who came up with this idea of the new syllabus... the head of board of studies must be an english freak... first they make english compulsory, then they add three disguised english subjects known as hsc science.
3... they disguised Engineering Science and shipped it off to another faculty and took all the hard maths out of it (though if they want they can still get difficult questions).

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
@ KeypadSDM:....i wonder why they over rate the under standing!...as i did not properly understand projectile until i did it in 3u maths....going thru the process by integration/differentiation step by step, which makes it more logical and understandable...though its a bit hard at the beginning...but i guess not every physics student does 3u maths :p

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
yeah, i did all the physics trial / hsc projectile questions the 3u way...deriving the formulae

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Deriving them each time takes to long, just use them without understanding why thats the way.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
they cut marks in 3u maths if u dont show the derivation (see the 3u syllabus, it says u must know how to derive when asked)

even though deriving is time consuming...i find it easier to think thru.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah in 3U maths you do but not in physics. They have the formula sheet for you :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
How many are there? 2. I know theres one with formulas and one with standard potentials etc.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
who gives a shit how many pages it is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)