All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS). (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Educational Access Scheme (EAS)

I'd like to make a point that the EAS doesn't add any points to your published UAI, so recieving a UAI of 70 does not mean your published UAI will be 75, that's not how the EAS system works.

So first thing is first, the following listed Universities, all support the EAS scheme, some uni's may call it a different name like the University of Sydney calls it the 'Broadway Scheme':

-Australian Catholic University
-Australian National University
-Charles Sturt University
-Macquarie University
-Southern Cross University
-University of Canberra
-University of New England
-University of New South Wales
-University of Sydney
-University of Technology Sydney
-University of Newcastle
-University of Western Sydney
-University of Wollongong

So how does the the EAS System work?

In general, the EAS System for successful applicants allows a flexible entry into a desired course if you do not reach the UAI for the cut-off, but this flexible entry is only within or up-to 5 UAI off the cut-off, so for example i wanted to do Bachelor of Arts at University of Sydney, and the cut-off for that course this year was 85, and i achieved a UAI of 82, then you would have the chance to compete with all the other successful applicants under the EAS scheme to enter this course. Please don't think that ok i want to do Law at University of New South Wales, and i achieved a UAI of 95 and the cut-off was 99, and you were eligible for the EAS scheme, that you will be guranteed to get in, when they say it's up to 5 UAI around the cut-off it could be less, it depends the demand for that particular course, most participating unis only have 5% of places free'd up for EAS applicants, so you also have to compete for a place. For example Person A wants to do Bachelor of Information Technology at University of Western Sydney and Person B as well, and the cut-off for this course was 99, Person A achieves a UAI of 98 and Person B achieves a UAI of 97, they both are eligible for the EAS scheme, but because this course is so high demanding, most possibly the Uni, will only offer say 20 places for EAS applicants, so these 20 places still has to be competed based upon your UAI, so in this case Person A will be offered it over Person B. This is generally how the EAS System works, but for some Uni's it's different, for example University of Technology, Sydney, offers up to 10 UAI around the cut-off, but this is for particular courses, and probably some Uni's might offer more than 5% for EAS applicants.

Take a look at the following e-handbook for the EAS:

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml

So how do i apply for EAS?

You can obtain a copy of the EAS booklet from your careers advisor around June - July, but remember it's also up to you to remind your careers advisor.
You can also find the book online here: http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml
The EAS application form is available online here: http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml

What do i require to be eligible for the EAS scheme?

Read through the EAS codes located in this e-handbook:

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/eas.shtml

Generally you would require a few letters from principals, and friends who are close to you and who are certified, e.g. Doctors, Accountants, etc...

You would also require to provide evidential copy, and have a talk to your co-ordinator about it, because they do some of the filling out of the EAS application form.

So if i fulfill the requirements to apply for EAS does that mean i'm 100% guaranteed a placement for the EAS?

No. I think UAC is the people who read through all the provided documents and see if you are really eligible and see that all the given proof has actually caused a disadvantage during yr 11 and 12 studies. If you're qualified from UAC for the EAS, what happens is, now it's the Uni's to qualify you, generally only the Uni's you have listed for your Course preferences send you the letters about your accpetance for the EAS scheme, some Uni's might not offer it to you or some may, i know of some people getting an offer for University of Sydney ,and being rejected by University of Technology Sydney.

Personal Opinion towards applying for EAS:

My personal opinion towards any applicant is, don't have in mind "cool 5 UAI points i can scab", that's a bad attitude, UAC only accepts a number of EAS applicants, and don't you think it's a little unfair for the people who have had more serious traumar put towards them throughout the course of their HSC studies to have missed out on the EAS, For example death of a family member. It's not fair for the ones are naturally affected by such issues, to miss out a oppurtunity for the EAS scheme, because of the load of applicants who are in it for the extra pts because they "think" they are more disadvantaged than others.

So i hope this has answered all your questions about the Educational Access Scheme, you may PM me or post back if you have any questions, and to the people who are really disadvantage you should have a nice talk to your co-ordinator or careers advisor about the EAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

snot

thankyou so much for that it was so helpfull, justa question when you say that you have to show that you were disadvantaged in years 11 or 12 what does that mean, and how would you go about proving it?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by snot
thankyou so much for that it was so helpfull, justa question when you say that you have to show that you were disadvantaged in years 11 or 12 what does that mean, and how would you go about proving it?
This depends on the ED Codes that you submit, it's in that guide i posted, for example if you had a family member past away during that period you might want an official person like a doctor to write you a letter as a proof.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Medical documents, written letter from the principal etc..

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by snot
so a medical document would be enough to prove it?
Yes that's correct. You don't need like thousands of pages of documents to prove to them that you were disadvantaged, as long as it's provided from an official person, who they can contact, and who is listed in that e-handbook i posted.

snot

hey ive been looking into this and is true that the eas dosnt count for some subjects such as law

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
If i do an engineering flexible first year and I want to get into a space engineering course after that, which UAI counts, the regular one or the EAS one?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
If i do an engineering flexible first year and I want to get into a space engineering course after that, which UAI counts, the regular one or the EAS one?
Your EAS one isn't even a UAI, it's just a flexible entry scheme, it's not recorded, you're logged as a disadvantaged student in the uni's records, that's all, as far as i heard the flexible engineering degree is based on your GPA in first year of it. So if your GPA sucks like monkeys you'll be constrained to only limited choice of selecting which specific part of engineering you'd like to take on.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Is there a list where you can find out if your school is supported by the Priority Schools Funding Program

simon2004

IMPORTANT!
Can the universities apply the EAS to students even if the students do not apply for the EAS (ie. the student is not disadvantaged)?

I've heard that unis use the EAS to artificially keep their UAIs higher in the UAC book when in reality, if they can't fill a course, they can use the EAS to fill the course with lower uai's without making it public.

Last edited:

Stephagain

HSC
Hey I cant figure out...

So My grandma has this massive heart attack a week before these holidays just gone and me spend all holidays waiting for her to die and looking after her and she isnt dead yet...gotta have an operation...v. stressful at home lots more responsoibilities very sad etc etc etc can i do anything with EAS because of that? :confused:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
remember all duplicate documents must be verified by the people listed on the application, dont risk the fact the application may be voided.

cec

EAS scheme and uni entry

Apart from most of it, one thing that i REALLY dont understand is, are different people granted different levels of flexibility? say if one person was given 5 points, so to speak, and another was given only 3 points, and they both wanted to get into a course that was 97 and they both got 94, who would be most likely to get in?
Do the universities know the exact circumstances for which students apply for elligibility?? Or is that kept confidential by UAC?
I keep getting told different things and now im just too confused...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
if ur approved ur ranked in order with other eas applicants of uai ... ppl closest to the cutoff get in i think

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
only to the uni.. some unis dont accept late apps..

i dno if u can stil apply ring them up

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
my EAS is Due this Friday (to my careers advisor for confidentiality statement thing), im not sure about what documentation i would have to include for home responsibilities, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)