ALP Leadership Spill 2013 (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The best possible thing that could have happened today was if the motion of no confidence actually passed and a snap election was called.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Surely Crean didn't act unilaterally though, who actually organized it. Did Crean fall on his sword to put the issue to bed?
There's a theory going around that he was actually acting for Gillard in order to flush Rudd out before he gained the numbers.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The best possible thing that could have happened today was if the motion of no confidence actually passed and a snap election was called.
I disagree, the instability is internal, much of it spurred on by the press.

The country is still running, quite well I might add, nobody's life is in danger, legislation is still being passed, peoples money is still in the bank, the wheels of justice keep turning. There is no need for an election, the government should do it's duty and continue governing as they were elected to do.

(Yay Anabel Crabb said the exact same thing as I was typing this)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
*Media endlessly reports on spill*
Nek minet
*How DARE you take attention away from the apology!*

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
A lot of pain for labor today for little or no gain other the seeing Simon Crean declare his hand and go to the backbench. It still won't end the leadership speculation.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of pain for labor today for little or no gain other the seeing Simon Crean declare his hand and go to the backbench. It still won't end the leadership speculation.
Any speculation from now on is a pure fiction of the media though

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Any speculation from now on is a pure fiction of the media though
Even if it is, it is going to be the focus up to the election. Today won't have improved labors poll figures; they're either going to remain similar to what they are or drop as a result of today.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Richard Marles has resigned from the front bench

Reshuffle required with Crean gone also.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
When is this farce going to end.... I sure hope today has done it but I'm not convinced

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If they were gonna change back to Rudd they should have done it last February. It's too late now they will get obliterated whoever is leading the party.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Fitzgibbon has resigned from his position of Chief Government Whip and Husic and Saffin have resigned as whips.

Okashi

HSC
Richard Marles has resigned from the front bench

Reshuffle required with Crean gone also.
Just want to make it clear that Richard Marles was not a member of the frontbench. The frontbench consists of only ministers. Parliamentary secretaries sit on the second row.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not literally. The term 'frontbench' usually includes parliamentary secretaries. It's a term analogous with the ministry. Parl Secs are members of the ministry and members of the Executive Council.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Talk that Gillard will sack Chris Bowen and Kim Carr from the ministry.

Many Rudd backers quite angry at Rudd. They put themselves on the line for him and he left them exposed. Many now out of their jobs.
Any caucus support he had managed to build is going to evaporate.

According to Hartcher, "One of his most important and effective lieutenants declared: ''I'm over Rudd.'' Another now ex supporter has called him gutless.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)