• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ALP Leadership vote for Monday (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
frog12986 said:
However, I do believe that the true indicator is not how each party is doing in the polls, but rather who is the preferred Prime Minister; Howard is testament to this, continually winning that indicator and the subsequent elections..
that is very true. the liberal party is a far stronger and more organised political party than labour. the polls showing they will win don't indicate the level of dissatisfation with the party's leaders. and the leaders of the party epitomise the party's strength and strength of policy.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
BlackDragon said:
yes. i prefer howard. labour has no idea how to run a government compared to the organised liberals.
'Labor'.

I think I'm going to ask the mods to make that an 'important' thread on how its 'Labor' or 'ALP' and not 'Labour'.

frog12986 said:
However, I do believe that the true indicator is not how each party is doing in the polls, but rather who is the preferred Prime Minister; Howard is testament to this, continually winning that indicator and the subsequent elections..
Preferred PM is much more accurate regardless of how silly it is (presidential type politics being brought to Australia from the USA).

It seems people would like and want to vote ALP but any two party preferred poll win to the ALP would be outweighed by John Howard's high approval rating.

Last edited:

topdeck

HSC
The problem with the ALP is that they arn't providing any contest to the liberal party. I think the Australian public is generally dissatisfied with the liberals, however Kim Beazley is simply not capitalizing on the liberals' mistakes. Personally, i think Rudd will do a better job than beazely but i still wouldn't vote for him. Actually i think Gillard would make a good leader, but even she wouldn't stand a chance in the upcoming election. Should be interesting to see what happens on Monday...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
If Julia Gillard becomes PM, we'll have a childless, unmarried PM and thats what the media joked about back a few years ago.

Anyways..

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20863740-1702,00.html

"We're confident that we have a majority of the votes in the parliamentary party but we've now got a lot of work to do today," Mr Rudd said. "We're confident we've got a good majority."
So..Mr Beazley??

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still going with a Rudd win tomorrow.
Worst case scenario for Labor is a tie, with a Beazley victory coming from the tie breaker (which is a random draw from a hat)

Any predictions for who Rudd would have as Shadow Treasurer and Foreign minister?

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
Sparcod said:
If Julia Gillard becomes PM, we'll have a childless, unmarried PM and thats what the media joked about back a few years ago.

Anyways..
The horror.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
So far we have for sure these MPS are voting (plus a little guessing from me form factions, etc.

RUDD
-Harry Quick
-Dick Adams
-Julia Gillard
-Bob Sercombe
-Simon Crean
-Michael Danby (Israel issues)
-John Murphy
-Carmen Lawrence
-Maria Vamvakinou

BEAZLEY
-Anthony Albanese
-Tanya Plibersek
-Stephen Smith
-Wayne Swan
-Jenny Macklin
-Stephen Conroy

Peter Garrett

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Any predictions for who Rudd would have as Shadow Treasurer and Foreign minister?
Given recent discussions I think that you would be best to add the shadow Environment portfolio to that list. Albanese may be a competent shadow minister and a reasonably strong bulwark against the Greens in his electorate, but does his appeal extend beyond the Albanese-Tebbutt kingdom of Marrickville?

HSC
I know, and alread he starts to self destruct.

In his speech he said the same crap as Beazely.. "Working families".. blah blah blah.

They don't understand that no one wants to identify as a "working family" (in the sense that labor mean it anyway).

I thought Rudd was going to be fresh, but i'm not totally convinced after hearing him speak this morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)