alternative entries to vet science (1 Viewer)

karentao77

HSC
what are all the alternative entries to vet science if i don't get the UAI required?

Last edited:

Season

HSC
Just going to give you an idea of what you'd need to get in first round

University Veterinary Studies Courses:
NSW: University of Sydney - Camperdown/Darlington Campus & Charles Sturt University; Wagga Wagga
Victoria: University of Melbourne - Parkville Campus.
WA: Murdoch University - Murdoch Campus.
Queensland: James Cooke University - Townsville.

Here are some of the requirements -
Queensland: Sound Achievement or higher in Queensland Year 12 (or equivalent in other States) prerequisite subjects English, Chemistry, Maths 1/B & Physics.
Victoria
: VCE or Australian Year 12 equivalent. Units 3 and 4. A study score of at least 35 in each of English, Chemistry, and one of Mathematics or Physics.
New South Wales
: Applications are judged on performance in the 2004 HSCE will be ranked on their scaled aggregate University Admission Index. The University of Sydney will select Year 12 students solely on their UAI. The minimum aggregates required for HECS entry for the past three years were as follows: 98.2 (UAI)
Western Australia (Murdoch): Admission requirements are successful completion of secondary education with Physics (and/or Biology), Chemistry and Discrete Maths.

Well Melbourne for the most part prefers people who've done a year of science anyways

http://www.vet.unimelb.edu.au/undergrad/local_entry.html

you can of course get accepted straight away if you happen upon a UAI of 99.1 as you do...

For Sydney
  • 2007 - 98.4 or there round abouts
It also accepts people who've done a year of science and when they consider they take into account other work such as volunteering, working with animals... lots of it

http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/requirements_bvsc.shtml

Murdoch

Mature age applicants who have previously studied at university are encouraged to apply and must submit a 500 word typed statement and show evidence that they have undertaken relevant work experience.
Mature-age applicants must also demonstrate competence in English. In addition, those mature-age applicants who are not taking the TEE should submit a supporting personal statement and curriculum vitae.

http://www.vetbiomed.murdoch.edu.au/vet/vet_admission.html
http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=2036
http://isc-jaine.jcu.edu.au/reports/rwservlet

I know for a fact that the full-fee paying places have a much lower cut off 93.8, so if you're confident you could take a gamble and see if you could switch over to a CSP place later.

But yes the general consensus is do a year of science and then transfer across, just remember to ace it okay, and get a nice animal loving resume

karentao77

HSC
hoping to do this at usyd..
how much would i have to pay for the full fee, and how much would would i have to pay if i get the uai required?
how hard would it be to transfer across after doing a year of science? would it be at least a distinction average? and what UAI would i need to be able to do this?
i think i read somewhere.. you can study science for 2 years and then get a transfer.. and to do that you only need around a 62 UAI.:confused:

chemrocks

HSC
Heyo fellow Vet Scientists
Iam hoping to so vet science at Usyd also - but the way i'm going i'll have to do a BSc (possibly Adv.) and then transfer over.

I find it abit wierd but apparently vet science has one of the highest drop out rates of any course. Maybe theyshould drop the UAI level needed and accept students more on their comitment to the industry and their work with animals instead. it would make it easier for the rest ofus who absolutely love helping animals but aren't themega geniuses of the world

Emma_Kate

HSC
chemrocks, the dropout rate is easily explained - vet science is HARD!
I'm at 1st yr at JCU in townsville and we've already had about 5 students drop out (now we have a class of 68).
The first part of first yr is basically just 3 science subjects and then a vet subject (well for me anyway) and they try to cram the hsc biology and hsc chemistry and new knowledge into these subjects (which only go for 12 weeks!), so evidently it is quite hard and takes time to grasp etc.
However the UAI cannot simply be 'dropped' by usyd, as the uai is only an indication of how many people want to do the course, and logically they want to accept the best of the best, hence they accept the top 100 (or however many) who have very high uai's.

may I suggest that if you are that dedicated to studying vet science you should look around at different universities? some accept people with lower uai's (mid 90s) and some also have an application process (james cook in townsville & charles sturt - so if you really are dedicated to helping animals, im assuming you probably have a whole pile of work experience if that field, and you can include all of that in your application).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its very hard... cos its very focussed too...

dent, med, pharm.. are similar in course style..

w2dot

HSC
you forgot opt :)

Does anyone know about entry into murdoch as a year 12 leaver?

Oh, and there UQ for vet as well

greMlin72

Green Zombie
HSC
getting into vet sci is perhaps one of the hardest degrees to get into. I am currently completing my first year in the Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary BioScience Degree (BAnVetBioSc) at USYD, upon the advice that it was 'easy to transfer into veterinary'. I shall point out now, that this is most certainly not the case.

So, alternatives, if you asked me a year ago, i would have said do an animal related degree that shows commitment to the industry, but, according to statistics, and the biasm of many universities, they don't look at what degree you are undertaking, it is merely grade orientated. For application into USYD, as a non-school leaver, 60% is marks, 20% a commitment statement (work experience etc) and 20% STAT test. So, look at a degree where you can obtain the marks, and get as much work-experience on the side.

There are many degrees you can choose to try and attempt to transfer, but either way, it does come down to your GPA. You will need a minimum of a Distinction average (some universities mark a lot harder than others, thus, it is harder to get better marks at some) and a STAT mark of a minimum of 164/200.

And... just keep applying. It can never hurt to keep applying. NB: James Cook only accepts year-12 leavers into the Veterinary degree.

Good Luck!

lala2

Banned
HSC
All the above posts are very good. If I may sum up:

- Consider interstate options
- No more full fee paying places from next year I think, so the UAI cutoff will drop as they open up more HECS places. Double check with the uni
- Consider transferring. Like gremlin72 mentioned, they only look at your grades, and because vet science has highly specific subjects, you're unlikely to get credit and so you'd be spending 5 years in vet science either way. So pick a degree you'll get competitive grades in (again, a Distinction which is about top 10-15% of students).

I have no experience with the Animal and Vet Bioscience degree, so I may very well be quite wrong, but it seems a lot of people who fail to get into vet do this degree and so they're all looking to transfer into vet science. At USYD they scale marks, so it's not a matter of merit as much as ranking. So you'd have to be the top of those all looking to transfer.

Finally, if all else fails, you might want to consider if there are any graduate entry places. I know USYD is the undergrad degree only so you're basically spending first degree + 5 years to be qualified, but see if there are any other unis that have grad entry vet sc.

HSC
w2dot said:
Does anyone know about entry into murdoch as a year 12 leaver?
http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Courses/Undergraduate-courses/Health-Sciences/Veterinary-Science/
This link basically explains the new methods of entry to Murdoch vet. As far as I'm aware, if your TER/UAI meets the cutoff required, then you are guaranteed entry into the course, however you still must complete one year of tertiary studies (ie basic science) before entering the course.

If your TER does not meet the requirements, then the new method of entry allows for more people to transfer into the course. However this is competitive, and you do need significant related experience.

http://www.murdoch.edu.au/handbook/courses/VST
This is the handbook entry for Vet.

http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Courses/Undergraduate-courses/Health-Sciences/Veterinary-Science/

Emma_Kate

HSC
Just thought i'd add that JCU accepts both year 12 leaves and mature age students, and not just year 12 leaves as greMlin72 suggested.

lizzi12

HSC
greMlin72: " For application into USYD, as a non-school leaver, 60% is marks, 20% a commitment statement (work experience etc) and 20% STAT test. "

I thought it was weighted 60% STAT, 40% GPA, 5% commitment statement. Thats what the faculty said when I rang them, but maybe i spoke to someone not informed :uhoh: . Consequently I didn't do much work experience at all...I still have a GPA 6.5 (between D and HD average) and STAT seemed to go well. Would I sill have a chance without much on commitment statement?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
At Charles Sturt, you're looking at;

Bachelor of Veterinary Science / Bachelor of Veterinary Biology

6 years full time at Wagga

NSW and interstate school leavers are normally selected on the basis of their Universities Admissions Index (UAI) or interstate equivalent. Currently no secondary school subjects are prerequisites for admission to the Bachelor of Veterinary Science/Bachelor of Veterinary Biology course however students with a strong interest in science would be expected to do chemistry if attending a school where it is offered.

Not sure what the UAI is like, but you can get in to CSU with early entry, and they generally take mid to high 80s+

http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/veterinary_science/index.html

geolad

HSC
you can't get into vet science at CSU via early entry, the best you'll get is a prelim round offer but still AFTER your marks come out and AFTER an interview AFTER your application has been assessed.
Marks are (generally) 90+ including regional bonus if thats applicable to your area. The interview will do better for you than your marks will though. And experience. They love genuine experience with a range of animals.
I'm doing vet at CSU, love it, but be warned for people that are trying to transfer over; best transfer cases within the uni are from Animal Science BUT soemthing like 85% of animal science students are trying to do that and so it's REALLY competitive.
Good Luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)