AM(almost)A from a 2015 graduate (1 Viewer)

qwert73

HSC
What made you choose electrical engineering over other types of engineering?
What are you planning for(or hoping for) in the future in terms of a career in electrical engineering?

Triinkii

HSC
What made you choose electrical engineering over other types of engineering?
What are you planning for(or hoping for) in the future in terms of a career in electrical engineering?
Hey again qwert73,

In first year, the engineering courses are all very very similar, so it's easily transferrable. However, since I had to pick just one to secure a co-op scholarship (flexible first year not allowed), I had a look at several things:
1. Lots and lots of maths and physics - elec eng is notorious for having heaps of abstract maths.
2. Current trends - civil eng is up at top right now but by the time we graduate, I'm not so sure it'll be in demand... Just like how mining eng has gone down recently and doesn't look like it'll pick up much.
3. Potential - with the decrease in mining and hopefully a less global oil addiction, we can move towards renewables. Logically, this would mean going for photovoltaics and renewable engineering, but I'm not too sure our government would completely endorse such a thing anytime soon, so electrical is the next best thing with more security, in my opinion! (the first 2-3 years of study are almost completely common to both)

I see electrical engineering as an area for opportunity and growth, with a constant demand in the contemporary world. With my co-op scholarship, it means I can work with my sponsor (this year, Telstra Wholesale), and I'm hoping at the moment that it'll develop my soft skills to the point I can do some project management some years down the line. It's all very fuzzy however, I'll go where the winds of chance blow!

Honestly, I just want to end up being one of those people who can tell you about all the amazing exciting opportunities and innovations they've been part of, creative designs they've made, and all the fun they've had in their career! Any engineering stream will take you into almost any field - just because Cochlear is primarily biomedical doesn't mean they don't need electrical, just because manufacturers need mechanical engineers doesn't mean electrical ones don't have a job there! The versatility is definitely a plus, the potential to work in so many exciting fields.

Thanks for the awesome question!

alohapeeps

HSC
What was your favourite subject to study for? Congrats for all your amazing achievements btw!!!

Triinkii

HSC
What was your favourite subject to study for? Congrats for all your amazing achievements btw!!!
Hi alohapeeps,

Thank you!!
My favourite subject to study for would alternate between maths and physics. Maths simply because studying is easy - past papers are the way to go! I don't have to sit there wondering how I'm going to go ahead with studying for it. Physics because I'm a bit lazy and it was probably the subject I put the least amount of effort into... Once you understand the concept, everything suddenly becomes a lot easier - chuck in some finer details and tada!

I also enjoyed lunchtime (never study at lunch!) and Friday afternoons (movie night!), if that counts as a subject to study for ;)

Kaido

be.
HSC
Hey, Triinkii! I have a few questions if you don't mind answering... hehehe

1. What was your approach to filling in scholarship forms that you believe separated you from other applicants? (Given a 2500 word space, how did/would you structure your response)
2. Describe your attitude towards tertiary study - what are some of the highlights in uni that you wish to be a part of?
3. Given a time-machine to manipulate at your will, which year would you like to visit (past/future)? Why? (Note: you CANNOT use the machine more than once) And yes, you MUST use it :p

Triinkii

HSC
Hey, Triinkii! I have a few questions if you don't mind answering... hehehe

1. What was your approach to filling in scholarship forms that you believe separated you from other applicants? (Given a 2500 word space, how did/would you structure your response)
2. Describe your attitude towards tertiary study - what are some of the highlights in uni that you wish to be a part of?
3. Given a time-machine to manipulate at your will, which year would you like to visit (past/future)? Why? (Note: you CANNOT use the machine more than once) And yes, you MUST use it :p
Hey Kaido!

1. The best answer I can give is simply to answer the question! Give them what they want to hear but in your own unique way. The same goes for interview questions, they want to know your personality and know you're a real person with all-rounded interests, so definitely draw on a wide variety of experiences when answering different questions. This is also another reason for you high-school students to keep up your extracurricular activities in your senior years - they only ask for year 11 and 12 ECs! It's best to have some that are more related to the course you're applying for, and play to your strengths. I've heard of some people writing poetry and going completely creative in their responses, but for me it was easiest just to essay-structure it. Answer the question, introducing a scenario, expand on the scenario with extra detail on what *you* did and what you learned from it.
Be concise, start the application early (by that I mean 2-3 months at least!), and keep refining. Get others to read it over for you and edit/proofread, and if you're bold enough, ask for advice (I never did though, those applications get real embarrassing real quick!).

2. I can't wait to meet new people!! Those with similar interests, those without, those I've known for years and those I've only just met - and the opportunity to start fresh. That and I'm also really looking forward to collecting free pens at O week!
Also being provided the learning and resources to make something awesome while still a student - that is something I definitely want to be part of, however useless the product may be! ENG1000 here I come!
I just really like the idea of pursuing interests outside of study itself, ones related to the course but not necessarily taught, and learning some real material that means I'll actually understand how things (theoretically) work.

3. I'd go back to 2013 at subject selections to try out the IB :p wouldn't want to do the HSC all over again, yet I don't want to miss any experiences in the future! Ah dilemmas!

PopeXIII

HSC
Did you follow a study timetable or did you only study for the subjects you had on that day?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
What resources did you use while making your physics notes? Did you use anyone else's notes as a guideline?

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Gratz on your marks!

Just wondering, why did you pick Latin, and why did you do it at Open High?

Triinkii

HSC
Did you follow a study timetable or did you only study for the subjects you had on that day?
Hi PopeXIII,

I have to admit - I'm terrible with timetables. Can't follow them, never been able to! I do have a friend for whom it works though, but only one.

The only thing I can really advise here is to constantly re-evaluate which subjects require the most time for you personally, and study with that in mind. This could change week by week or month by month, but it always pays to pick up on your weaker subjects (especially if you only have 10 units). Getting a band 6 is significantly easier than getting a high band 6, so for the same amount of time and effort you'd get a better result from focussing on weaker units!

I'm one of those people who study one subject at a time - so I'll do one whole day of chemistry, and if I'm not done I'll do the next day full of chemistry, and then move onto a whole day of physics, etc. For some people, they get bored of doing the same thing all day and choose to do, say, 3 subjects a day, with particular goals in mind. Both have their merits, but I prefer continuous study to avoid scattered-mindedness.

If you do create a timetable, be flexible with it as often you will over or underestimate the amount of time you need. But definitely try to set aside some time for every subject every week :) and a quick half-hour revision before and after a lesson is always amazingly useful for consolidating information. I can't say I did that myself very often (revision is boring), but the times I did even just run through concepts or information after a lesson really did help with long-term memory.

The other problem I've always had with timetables is sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a subject! In which case my advice is don't force it, sitting there 2 hours being unproductive is a lot worse than sitting there 2 hours doing another subject you would rather be doing. I believe some people call that "productive procrastination" :p don't do it all the time, but definitely don't force it too hard if it's just not working that day.

In the end, study methods differ from person to person. What works for me may not work for you, just have to find a healthy balance you can personally deal with. I could tell you all about how I studied but I assure you I only know a handful of others who study the way I do!

Triinkii

HSC
What resources did you use while making your physics notes? Did you use anyone else's notes as a guideline?
Hey Rathin,

That's actually a very good question! I was lucky enough to have a physics teacher who had her own notes, which I worked off, but in the end it's a mixture of textbook and online resources. And by online resources I don't just mean those online dot-points, I mean legitimate websites with information you could prove to me was reliable and valid (through cross-referencing, and whatnot). Those, with your textbook, are the ones with the extra detail that push you into a band 6.

I also had a look at notes people posted online but found them rather simplistic - always go that extra mile if you're able to.

Best of luck!! :)

Last edited:

Triinkii

HSC
Gratz on your marks!

Just wondering, why did you pick Latin, and why did you do it at Open High?
Hi Soulful,

Thank you!!

I initially picked Latin as an HSC subject because I'd been taking it since year 7 and was topping my grade, and my Latin teacher was a really funny dude who made learning the language so much fun. He really believed I could do really well in it! But come year 11, he had to leave our school, so a friend and I took Latin via Open High School to keep it up, hoping that somehow he'd still be able to help us. In the end, it was one of the hardest things in the world not having a face-to-face teacher and not being told when work was due, nobody chasing up anything - I kept it up really just for my friend so she wouldn't be taking it via distance education alone (sucky reason, I know, but I wasn't doing badly in it either - still just below a mid band 6).

As for why Latin in the first place, I was told it would improve my english, or at least my vocabulary and understanding of language. That much was true enough, often I see an English word and have a mini-PTSD-esque attack of a Latin word I'd memorised for my exam and realise those are the roots of the word :p but the best part I think is being able to read mottos!

I'd rate it about 85% worth the pain.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
excellent work for your results! :)

was there anything you wish you could've changed in your HSC? (e.g. regrets about poor study habits). I know the ATAR suggests otherwise, but tbh, any HSC student - whether a high achiever or not - would have regrets about something (I know those feels too well :/ )

what sort of societies are you thinking of joining @ uni?

also, are you someone who loves quality bants :haha:

Last edited:

Triinkii

HSC
excellent work for your results! :)

was there anything you wish you could've changed in your HSC? (e.g. regrets about poor study habits). I know the ATAR suggests otherwise, but tbh, any HSC student - whether a high achiever or not - would have regrets about something (I know those feels too well :/ )

what sort of societies are you thinking of joining @ uni?

also, are you someone who loves quality bants :haha:
Hey hawkrider!!

Thank you!!

Ah definitely - the thing I regret most perhaps is not spending enough time with my friends. Towards the end, my life took place mostly in the school library in a secluded corner. Keeping up extracurriculars until the final term was a good idea though, made sure I still got some social time.
The other thing I regret is misreading that last chemistry question that will haunt me forever! (the marks up top are so tight, could I have done better? We'll never know!) - I apologised to my chemistry teacher afterwards thinking I let them all down, it was the worst feeling!
Regarding study habits, I have no regrets except that I argued with my mother so much about my 11PM bedtime, she only wanted the best for me - and sleep really is necessary to stay healthy!

OH SOCIETIES - I want to join sUNSWift and EWB for sure, a Christian group, and perhaps an orchestra if they let me! I'm so pumped for O Week to see what else there is and start overcommitting myself!

And as for banter - I do appreciate it when called for and enjoy facepalming at every joke :p depends on my mood and how fast my brain is working that day (whew, too much pressure!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)