Am I alone in hating airplane food? (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Air New Zealand to me is a discount carrier now with their pricing tiers and strategy. That being said I had a free upgrade to the works (their top tier of economy) because I complained before but it really felt just like the bare bones economy discount carrier with unlimited access to orders of food and drinks on the touch screen.
I think it depends.

IIRC Air New Zealand only take their business tiers seriously for long haul flights rather than Aus/NZ.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Air New Zealand to me is a discount carrier now with their pricing tiers and strategy. That being said I had a free upgrade to the works (their top tier of economy) because I complained before but it really felt just like the bare bones economy discount carrier with unlimited access to orders of food and drinks on the touch screen.
I think that's a little unfair. The Air NZ offering is still a full service mid tier carrier with both their hard product and soft product but with their recent removal of First Class cabins they can no longer be considered a top tier, luxury carrier. The lines are getting blurred, Virgin Atlantic/Pacific is supposed to be a "Discount" carrier but their product is fairly close in quality to the full service traditional airlines with service by cabin crew that often exceeds that benchmark.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think that's a little unfair. The Air NZ offering is still a full service mid tier carrier with both their hard product and soft product but with their recent removal of First Class cabins they can no longer be considered a top tier, luxury carrier. The lines are getting blurred, Virgin Atlantic/Pacific is supposed to be a "Discount" carrier but their product is fairly close in quality to the full service traditional airlines with service by cabin crew that often exceeds that benchmark.
It's not the removal of the cabins which make it feel discount to me but both their cabin comfort and their pricing structure is more akin to a discount/budget carrier. e.g. if you want a drink you need to order it using the touchscreen and swipe your credit card, no included baggage (and very strict on allowances even if you pay), if you want movies you need to swipe your credit card and pay, etc...

My usual way of differentiating between budget carriers and full service is similar to a freemium app- if you need to pay to enjoy the services whilst you're in the air (after you've already paid your initial fare and agreed to it) then it's a discount carrier. I'm not saying the user-pays consumption model isn't good, but just that it's not full service.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not the removal of the cabins which make it feel discount to me but both their cabin comfort and their pricing structure is more akin to a discount/budget carrier. e.g. if you want a drink you need to order it using the touchscreen and swipe your credit card, no included baggage (and very strict on allowances even if you pay), if you want movies you need to swipe your credit card and pay, etc...

My usual way of differentiating between budget carriers and full service is similar to a freemium app- if you need to pay to enjoy the services whilst you're in the air (after you've already paid your initial fare and agreed to it) then it's a discount carrier. I'm not saying the user-pays consumption model isn't good, but just that it's not full service.
I actually don't mind their business model, I don't mind that the IFE costs money since I don't use it anyway, I only carry-on and if that means the cost savings are passed on to me without detriment to the quality of the furnishings and the level of service with the aircraft then I'm happy. I remember Air NZ had a great menu no matter what class you fly and the seats are always exemplary. To me, if the service is offered somehow then it counts as "Full Service". That being said, I still fly with Qantas whenever possible since I'm a member of their points program...

EDIT: Adding that Air NZ Business and the Koru lounge facilities are top notch. Still, I wouldn't fly this airline for any reason other than visiting NZ though and even then, there's little reason for me to choose it over Qantas Business class.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I actually don't mind their business model, I don't mind that the IFE costs money since I don't use it anyway, I only carry-on and if that means the cost savings are passed on to me without detriment to the quality of the furnishings and the level of service with the aircraft then I'm happy. I remember Air NZ had a great menu no matter what class you fly and the seats are always exemplary. To me, if the service is offered somehow then it counts as "Full Service". That being said, I still fly with Qantas whenever possible since I'm a member of their points program...

EDIT: Adding that Air NZ Business and the Koru lounge facilities are top notch. Still, I wouldn't fly this airline for any reason other than visiting NZ though and even then, there's little reason for me to choose it over Qantas Business class.
You are too baws for me. I fly economy usually because I'm tight and my employer doesn't provide business class travel.

I am finding that airlines which force people to stuff as much as they can into carry on to avoid check in baggage fees results in everyone bringing huge bags onto the plane, stuffing them into too few overhead lockers, causing massive slow down in boarding/disembarking the plane, and pissing everyone off as they walk around trying to find somewhere else to stuff their bag. I guess I am comparing Air NZ with Singapore Airlines at this point given I flew both recently but still it's quite contrasting.

Therese98

HSC
Flying around Europe? My advice; don't touch anything Lufthansa serves up.
They put uncooked sausages on everything, even on top of spaghetti bolognaise! The salad consists of green slime originally obtained from lettuce, mingled with sausage mince.
Don't do it too yourself.

Qantas, I found, was very good and definitely a nice change from the sausages!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Omg I was on QANTAS and they gave us a choice between salad and beef noodles or something. At least offer a better vegetarian option smh.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Seared lamb cutlets with the rustic vegetables :3

One of the best airplane meals I've had

sharoooooo

HSC
I actually love it :)
Most people that i know dont enjoy it, but i look forward to eating aeroplane meals. But then again, i love food. I eat everything, so maybe im the exception

Brad727

HSC
Flew on New Zealand back in April and disliked it aswell. The only reason I flew on them was to get on a 767.
Price more expensive than JQ but the same level of service, but I got on my 767 and got my cockpit visit so I was happy.
Flew on LAN on the same route and it was infinitly better. lol

Brad727

HSC
As for food, Asia's airlines seem to have nicer food but to order on my experiences I would say:
CX, QF and MU, and for budget: TZ and D7 (premium flatbed) were pretty good, JQ is alright.
I actually like airplane food, maybe because I feel at home whilst eating it. XD

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Noodles on the plane aren't so bad tbh but everything else is crap

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Flop21

HSC
I remember having some chicken and rice dish on QANTAS. Was quite nice. And this was in economy as well. And I think it was the halal meal because its also free of the common allergens (I have an allergy), so I had that meal every time.

maki

HSC
There is absolutely nothing that tastes good on a plane. Jesus fuck it gives me headaches just thinking about it.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
There is absolutely nothing that tastes good on a plane. Jesus fuck it gives me headaches just thinking about it.
It's called aeroplane food for a reason. I mean, unless you're flying first class then things may be different. Not that I know! Hahaha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've decided of all the budget airlines, Air Asia is my favourite for their food selection and pricing vs. Jetstar/Tiger/Virgin/etc. It has the best food quality, reasonably priced ($5-6 a meal) and has yet to disappoint me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)