Am I cold hearted? (1 Viewer)

Salehhh

HSC
It will be kinda funny when one of them is going for a job interview... "how'd you get into uni?"

"bush fire..."

Salehhh

HSC
It's a part of UWS's scheme to attain more students, hence increase their reputation.

Btw, it isn't really hard to get into UWS..

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
The devil is in the detail.

"The university will help the students find the course that best suits their needs and aspirations."

In other words, UWS will decide what they offer each student. It may just be a place in Arts or Foundation Studies.

jess_1495

HSC
I think any university is a bit much.

Unless when they finish they come out with a degree that has a little asterisk.
*Only got into UNSW due to bushfire and we felt sorry for them.
Coming from someone who had a bushfire pretty much in their backyard, yes I am one of these people, it was the most traumatic experience ever. I was able to make it to all of my exams, and am not one of those granted immediate access, but these people who have been offered it obviously need it. It is hard to put yourself in the situation, but trust me, it is horrific.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you misunderstand the circumstances a little. They wouldn't give instant access to students who, say, failed the course. But access to a uni degree is not unfair given that the stress and anxiety of the situation could very easily result in these students failing their exams. Special consideration should definitely be given to people personally affected by the bush fires. However, I also think that everyone in NSW who is anywhere near the bush fires and are sitting their HSC exams should be given 5 extra ATAR points because of the health effects of smoke etc. It affects cognition, concentration and general health, which in turn affects students' capacity to complete exams to the best of their ability.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Coming from someone who had a bushfire pretty much in their backyard, yes I am one of these people, it was the most traumatic experience ever. I was able to make it to all of my exams, and am not one of those granted immediate access, but these people who have been offered it obviously need it. It is hard to put yourself in the situation, but trust me, it is horrific.
Spot on. If people think the HSC is stressful, try having a fire burning down the back of your house and not being able to study for your exams because you're too busy protecting your house on top of the stress of the HSC. ATARs are definitely going to suffer, and I wouldn't rely on an estimated mark to be accurate. Although I think there should be some basic criteria to be met (like showing an intent to attend university throughout the year), I think the immediate access is warranted.

Last edited:

studybuddy101

HSC
OP needs some empathy. There's more to life than gaining a university place, something the bushfire victims would have already learnt.

Lina3

HSC
My two cents worth...I would say for a place like UWS its very reasonable to do so. Looking at the ATAR requirements for the courses, the demand is nowhere near UNSW/USyd and I doubt 700 students granted leniency due very understandable and stressful circumstances will leave anyone else severely disadvantaged. Its only 700 (max) people in a Uni that has room to accommodate them. Now if UNSW/Usyd did this, I think concerns about it being 'unfair' would be more valid since there is already great competition for places.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
My two cents worth...I would say for a place like UWS its very reasonable to do so. Looking at the ATAR requirements for the courses, the demand is nowhere near UNSW/USyd and I doubt 700 students granted leniency due very understandable and stressful circumstances will leave anyone else severely disadvantaged. Its only 700 (max) people in a Uni that has room to accommodate them. Now if UNSW/Usyd did this, I think concerns about it being 'unfair' would be more valid since there is already great competition for places.
There's a high demand for the course I want to do.

Lina3

HSC
There's a high demand for the course I want to do.
Fair enough, but surely 700 (probably less) people admitted across many courses would not make that much of a difference? Does your course have any other criteria you have to meet? If so, you will probably not be affected in the least.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
It's a nice (if somewhat selfishly motivated) gesture, which is in reality unlikely to be taken up by many students. It could provide a bit of comfort to those who are now homeless and waiting for an ATAR which they know won't be aligned with their ability (would you be studying for 8 hours a day if your home or your friend's home was now a pile of ash?) to know they will have something to turn to. It may not be fair, but nor is the fact that there were people who couldn't sit exams because their school was in danger of going up in flames, or who couldn't study as much as they otherwise would have because of the fear that they would lose everything any minute. I'm sure it's not going to have a huge impact on anyone but the people who were denied the potential to demonstrate their full capabilities due to a natural disaster. Though obviously it would be stupid if assessment ranks weren't even taken into account and people ranked 50/50 in chem or something got handed an acceptance for medicine. But really, just think for one second what it would be like if your town was on fire in the middle of the exams that you had spent thirteen years of your life preparing for.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, OP, I think you need to understand the necessity and importance of equity/access schemes.

Misadventure scheme can fall short, if the majority of a cohort could not sit exams at this school. Also EAS, EAS fails to distinguish levels of disadvantage imho. Someone with a comparatively very mild disadvantage can be placed on the same level as someone with a devastating HSC year.

UWS may be doing it for publicity, but I'm glad they are stepping up to give some peace of mind to the most affected of the bush fires. They did say there would be additional criteria for courses, so it's not a pass into any course.

People say it's not fair for this scheme to occur, but having your home burnt to the ground during a bushfire is very, very unfair and equity is stepping in to try and balance this.

Wonder

HSC
Agreed! And, as previously stated, there would be additional selection criteria for high-demand courses.

It's a nice (if somewhat selfishly motivated) gesture, which is in reality unlikely to be taken up by many students. It could provide a bit of comfort to those who are now homeless and waiting for an ATAR which they know won't be aligned with their ability (would you be studying for 8 hours a day if your home or your friend's home was now a pile of ash?) to know they will have something to turn to. It may not be fair, but nor is the fact that there were people who couldn't sit exams because their school was in danger of going up in flames, or who couldn't study as much as they otherwise would have because of the fear that they would lose everything any minute. I'm sure it's not going to have a huge impact on anyone but the people who were denied the potential to demonstrate their full capabilities due to a natural disaster. Though obviously it would be stupid if assessment ranks weren't even taken into account and people ranked 50/50 in chem or something got handed an acceptance for medicine. But really, just think for one second what it would be like if your town was on fire in the middle of the exams that you had spent thirteen years of your life preparing for.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)