Am i screwed for Atar (1 Viewer)

jfjfjfjd

HSC
so long story short i really messed up my term 1 and term 2 exams of pretty much all subjects and i need like 70-75 percent atar. will i still be able to achieve that atar if i excel in the next 3 exams including the hsc to achieve that.

gamja

HSC
Firstly, it's definitely not too late on the internal exam front. Hint, you probably have heavier-weighted assessments and trials coming up that will definitely outbalance your past exams if you do well.

Secondly, even if you fail internals, having a good HSC examination mark (which accounts for 50% of your total) even when dragged down by your internal rank will allow you to have an 80s 90s ATAR if you apply yourself.

I think the best way forward now is to reset. Figure out and beg teachers for feedback regarding where you failed and make revision notes. Make a long-term schedule leading up to the HSC like a big calendar, and begin preparing for your next school assessments by asking around your teachers.

100% recoverable you got this

jfjfjfjd

HSC
Firstly, it's definitely not too late on the internal exam front. Hint, you probably have heavier-weighted assessments and trials coming up that will definitely outbalance your past exams if you do well.

Secondly, even if you fail internals, having a good HSC examination mark (which accounts for 50% of your total) even when dragged down by your internal rank will allow you to have an 80s 90s ATAR if you apply yourself.

I think the best way forward now is to reset. Figure out and beg teachers for feedback regarding where you failed and make revision notes. Make a long-term schedule leading up to the HSC like a big calendar, and begin preparing for your next school assessments by asking around your teachers.

100% recoverable you got this
i don’t know bro i am really panicking like i did pretty bad for english in term one as i got 0 for accidentally plagiarism(i submitted the wrong slide for my assessment) but i have don’t average on pdhpe and business for both terms and my math for term 2 and 1 and bio for term 1 have been horrible so i am crying

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I definitely agree with gamja. While unfavourable performance will have a negative impact on your overall position, recovery is definitely possible, especially considering that your desired ATAR range is not extremely high, which gives you a higher chance of attaining it. Your remaining school-based assessment tasks/exams also likely carry a significant weighting (as mentioned above), meaning that favourable performance in your upcoming tasks will likely assist you in improving your ranks considerably. Similarly, I will reiterate gamja's post, specifically the fact that the HSC exam of a subject contributes 50% of the overall HSC mark for that subject, making it another great opportunity for you to make a comeback.

In addition to seeking assistance from your teachers, if there are questions about your subjects that you would like to have answered, you can post threads on BoS as numerous people (a lot of whom are students of your age) are willing to provide thoughts and assistance.

You may also be interested in an ATAR estimate. While such estimates are not decisive in any way, they may provide you with a clearer perspective of your current position, allowing you to determine the extent to which you must improve in order to maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal and make a study plan accordingly.

I hope this helps! :D

jfjfjfjd

HSC
I definitely agree with gamja. While unfavourable performance will have a negative impact on your overall position, recovery is definitely possible, especially considering that your desired ATAR range is not extremely high, which gives you a higher chance of attaining it. Your remaining school-based assessment tasks/exams also likely carry a significant weighting (as mentioned above), meaning that favourable performance in your upcoming tasks will likely assist you in improving your ranks considerably. Similarly, I will reiterate gamja's post, specifically the fact that the HSC exam of a subject contributes 50% of the overall HSC mark for that subject, making it another great opportunity for you to make a comeback.

In addition to seeking assistance from your teachers, if there are questions about your subjects that you would like to have answered, you can post threads on BoS as numerous people (a lot of whom are students of your age) are willing to provide thoughts and assistance.

You may also be interested in an ATAR estimate. While such estimates are not decisive in any way, they may provide you with a clearer perspective of your current position, allowing you to determine the extent to which you must improve in order to maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal and make a study plan accordingly.

I hope this helps! :D
no idea on how to use the atar estimate and so i still do have a huge chance on achieving like 70-75 atar even if i came last pretty last on my ran for 3 subjects in term 1 and 2 l?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
no idea on how to use the atar estimate and so i still do have a huge chance on achieving like 70-75 atar even if i came last pretty last on my ran for 3 subjects in term 1 and 2 l?
I meant for you to request an ATAR estimate here, which entails including the subjects that you take, your current rank in each of them (if known) as well as the number of band 6's/E4's achieved at your school in each of your subjects (which can be accessed from HSCninja). Users may be able to provide their thoughts as to the ATAR that your current level of performance might be consistent with.

With that being said, and to answer your other question, yes, despite your position (which will undoubtedly have a negative impact), an ATAR in the 70-75 range is still within range.

carrotsss

HSC
Just forget about everything that has happened, it really doesn’t matter now and theres not any point worrying about the past, because right now as much as 80% of your marks are yet to be determined - the assessments you’ve already had were likely only weighted 20% each, out of the internal marks which only make up 50% of your HSC marks.

First, focus on doing as well as you can on this assessment period. If you manage to do well and make up ground then that can help a lot, as in some cases these assessments can be worth almost as much as trials. However, don’t over stress about them, as even if you don’t do well in these assessments, the trials are the best possible opportunity to improve your ranks. Many people will do poorly in them, so you can make major rank jumps which will help you ATAR a lot. And even if the trials don’t go well, the HSC exam is worth 50%, so even if you completely fail all of your internals, there’s still hope. One of the great things about the HSC is that there’s so many second chances, and you can absolutely achieve your goal if you take advantage of them! :)

In terms of each subject:
  • English should be the most major focus. Fortunately, even if it’s daunting, it is actually very possible to improve in. I’d recommend reading some of the essay guides on this forum (pinned in the English section), reading exemplar essays and then modelling your own essays based on those. It’s really important that you do this early, and submit it to your teacher for feedback!
  • Maths should also be a priority given your performance. Much like English, it’s very possible to improve, but if you’re behind on content then it can be very daunting to begin. Assuming this is the case, it’s really important to break things into manageable chunks. What I’d recommend is going through a past hsc/trial paper, and just giving all the questions a go. Don’t be disheartened at all if you don’t do well, because the priority should be to go through ever question that you didn’t know how to do, and thoroughly cover it again until you’re certain you could do the question. You can ask your teacher for help with explaining the correct method, and I’m sure they’ll be happy to oblige
I’m not the most qualified to give advice for bio, PDHPE and business as I don’t do them, but I’m sure other people on this forum will be able to help out with that. Good luck! :D

juspre09

HSC
I also have a question. So basically, I feel like my internals (the school assessments, not trials - trials i did bad lol) are better than my hsc exams. But so far, I have failed every math exam (in the whole year 12 year), as i got 13/100 for my trial exam. but for all my other exams, i passed. for my modern hsc trial exam, i got a 35/100 but my school assessments boosted my rank (im rank 9th out of 34 in modern course). if i do really bad in the hsc exams, would that impact my internals as well? cause i know im going to fail the hsc and get a band 2 in everything. and also, i am already in uni as i applied for early entry, so im not trying as much. but im definitely scared for the rest of my exams. i have three left, economics, business and pdhpe. im just scared that my hsc mark is going to be bad and it is going to bring my atar down. what should i do? and i always study last minute as well and i procrastinate a lot. im not really a studious student, i am just an average student, who barely passes. if i do bad in the hsc exam, even though i did somewhat okay in my internals, would that impact my atar?? :(

carrotsss

HSC
I also have a question. So basically, I feel like my internals (the school assessments, not trials - trials i did bad lol) are better than my hsc exams. But so far, I have failed every math exam (in the whole year 12 year), as i got 13/100 for my trial exam. but for all my other exams, i passed. for my modern hsc trial exam, i got a 35/100 but my school assessments boosted my rank (im rank 9th out of 34 in modern course). if i do really bad in the hsc exams, would that impact my internals as well? cause i know im going to fail the hsc and get a band 2 in everything. and also, i am already in uni as i applied for early entry, so im not trying as much. but im definitely scared for the rest of my exams. i have three left, economics, business and pdhpe. im just scared that my hsc mark is going to be bad and it is going to bring my atar down. what should i do? and i always study last minute as well and i procrastinate a lot. im not really a studious student, i am just an average student, who barely passes. if i do bad in the hsc exam, even though i did somewhat okay in my internals, would that impact my atar?? :(
your hsc mark comprises of the average of your aligned exam mark and moderated school assessment mark. if you have good rankings, your will likely have high school assessment marks and if you do poorly in the exams, you will likely have low aligned exam marks, so your average will be somewhere in the middle, but they are both effectively independent at cohort sizes like yours.

juspre09

HSC
your hsc mark comprises of the average of your aligned exam mark and moderated school assessment mark. if you have good rankings, your will likely have high school assessment marks and if you do poorly in the exams, you will likely have low aligned exam marks, so your average will be somewhere in the middle, but they are both effectively independent at cohort sizes like yours.
thank you! i just feel scared and im panicking a lot. i just want this to be over :0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)