• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Am i screwed for senior yrs? (6 Viewers)

jane1820

HSC
Ive always knew that my skl is 400-something but i never knew it was this bad
i putted my subjects into the hsc ninja calculator for fun n realised that no one at my skl for any of my subjects got a band 6 for the subjects im doing last yr (2023)
eng adv, math ext 1, math adv, arabic con, arabic ext, chem, phys (just test running but im doing those subjects)

am i screwed? Should i move skls or is there hope? As in wait for the 24 and 25 results thothis yr (yr 10) is the only yr i can move (entry into yr 11)

the reason i go to that skl to begin w is that my local skl is bottom third in the state n had to move asap n my current skl was the only skl that took me out of area

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
i putted my subjects into the hsc ninja calculator for fun n realised that no one at my skl for any of my subjects got a band 6 for the subjects im doing last yr (2023)
eng adv, math ext 1, math adv, arabic con, arabic ext, chem, phys (just test running but im doing those subjects)

am i screwed? Should i move skls or is there hope? As in wait for the 24 and 25 results thothis yr (yr 10) is the only yr i can move (entry into yr 11)

the reason i go to that skl to begin w is that my local skl is bottom third in the state n had to move asap n my current skl was the only skl that took me out of area
I mean, ur only option is probably a private school. I recommend PLC, Meriden, Newington, Crannies, Loreto, Wenona if u intend to move if u want a higher rank school. Unless u maybe go to like partial selec or kilara or smn...

Solarised

HSC

Try to move to a higher ranked school that near where you live. Otherwise, if you think your capable of receiving good results and staying ahead of your cohort there is no shame going to a low ranked school. Sometimes cohorts are different, 2020 you could have 20 b6 and then 2021 it could spike up to like 40-50 so really depends on your current cohort

iloveeggs

HSC
Sometimes cohorts are different, 2020 you could have 20 b6 and then 2021 it could spike up to like 40-50 so really depends on your current cohort
no way in hell a 400 ranked school will suddenly go from 0 to 40-50 band 6s in 1 year, lets just be honest here.

jane1820

HSC
Try to move to a higher ranked school that near where you live. Otherwise, if you think your capable of receiving good results and staying ahead of your cohort there is no shame going to a low ranked school. Sometimes cohorts are different, 2020 you could have 20 b6 and then 2021 it could spike up to like 40-50 so really depends on your current cohort
the only good skl around me is strathfield girls n i wasnt allowed to go there even tho i live on one of the intake areas but on the lower end where 'it isn't part of the local area' i try applying every yr but they wont budge

do u think there is a way around it? (my parents btw when i first moved to australia got a note from the department to let us in n they still didnt budge)

(to explain: say for example there is street cake, the very top to the middle end of the street is in area but i live on the end of the street n therefore wont count as in area; tbh its so stupid bc i literally live on the street but they just bitches - the principal)

iloveeggs

HSC
you might want to look into moving to private if that's doable for you in terms of costs and travel.

if you don't think you have an option to move atp, like @Solarised says, you can still do well in the hsc but the issue is you have to rank very high in your cohort, probably like 1st or so to actually be unaffected by ppl in your cohort that are slacking off or things like that. i would also highly recommend you invest in tutoring for your maths, chem, physics if you can afford it bc tutoring can help fill in the gaps that your school might miss (trust it helps even for myself even tho i go to a decent school) and if your teachers are clueless it can help bc you have resources and someone to go to for questions. also tutoring centres sometimes have tests that a bunch of ppl from diff schools do so it can be a decent measure of how you are travelling in comparison to the rest of the grade

also if you grind hard you should still do decent i reckon. as a more general piece of advice that i would give to everyone, def try hard in y11 and look into early entry as well, also think about eas, eapl and adjustment factors as a way to get into uni courses

jane1820

HSC
I mean, ur only option is probably a private school. I recommend PLC, Meriden, Newington, Crannies, Loreto, Wenona if u intend to move if u want a higher rank school. Unless u maybe go to like partial selec or kilara or smn...
yh i go to the selective stream of my skl (ngl my class r very good but at the end its one class of ~28 students who most leave due to the rankings against ~150 students)

Solarised

HSC
the only good skl around me is strathfield girls n i wasnt allowed to go there even tho i live on one of the intake areas but on the lower end where 'it isn't part of the local area' i try applying every yr but they wont budge

do u think there is a way around it? (my parents btw when i first moved to australia got a note from the department to let us in n they still didnt budge)

(to explain: say for example there is street cake, the very top to the middle end of the street is in area but i live on the end of the street n therefore wont count as in area; tbh its so stupid bc i literally live on the street but they just bitches - the principal)
Had the exact same issue. School said I'm like couple metres away from area so they won't let me in. At the end they stopped caring and didn't budge so idk for any workarounds.

Solarised

HSC
you might want to look into moving to private if that's doable for you in terms of costs and travel.

if you don't think you have an option to move atp, like @Solarised says, you can still do well in the hsc but the issue is you have to rank very high in your cohort, probably like 1st or so to actually be unaffected by ppl in your cohort that are slacking off or things like that. i would also highly recommend you invest in tutoring for your maths, chem, physics if you can afford it bc tutoring can help fill in the gaps that your school might miss (trust it helps even for myself even tho i go to a decent school) and if your teachers are clueless it can help bc you have resources and someone to go to for questions. also tutoring centres sometimes have tests that a bunch of ppl from diff schools do so it can be a decent measure of how you are travelling in comparison to the rest of the grade

also if you grind hard you should still do decent i reckon. as a more general piece of advice that i would give to everyone, def try hard in y11 and look into early entry as well, also think about eas, eapl and adjustment factors as a way to get into uni courses
Just about the best advice on this thread ngl

jane1820

HSC

if im gonna be honest there is a very low chance ill be able to come first (except in like arabic) bc the ppl in class r ppl who r like rlly competitive n ive only been at my skl this yr (one yr) so im not too familiar yet w the whole expectations

n if i compare it to my old skl i would definitely say at my current skl the learning is much better the teachers care (provide very good feedback), give a lot of practise and there are competitive students

for private i was actually meant to go private (so can afford it) but my sister didnt want to move skls bc she didnt want to start new in yr 11 (or something)

tutoring: if its only for resources i feel like there are a lot of resources online, for learning i need to wait n see how i go (my parents wont bother paying for tutoring if they dont see that im failing - like my sister struggles w physics but isnt failing so she doesnt go physics tutoring)

jane1820

HSC
Had the exact same issue. School said I'm like couple metres away from area so they won't let me in. At the end they stopped caring and didn't budge so idk for any workarounds.
nah they just bitches like that (pick and choose fr)

cafsrank1

HSC
N/A

another option is homeschooling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)