• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Am i screwed for senior yrs? (2 Viewers)

iloveeggs

HSC
optometrists arent typically doctors and you dont need to do doctor of optometry to be an optometrist so you get the same qualification necessary to be an optometrist which is a degree in optometry that is accredited by the Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand, but its just called a doctorate in one uni and a masters in another. so umelb wont offer you anything unsw isn't, its the same qualification you get at the end of the day and same career you will go into

the umelb doctor of optometry option is not a double degree as far as i am aware and its actually a postgraduate course. both unsw and umelb need ucat/gamsat for entry.

Last edited:

WeiWeiMan

HSC
the thing is that a lot of the mainstream ppl chose hard subjects like adv math, chem, physics, bio etc thinking they're easy for them then end up dragging not just the year-group but the whole skl bc they ignored when the teachers told them 'you shouldn't do those subjects try something your level'

edit: im calling out the specific ones (the 'troublemakers') ik a lot of mainstream ppl that r generally so smart
1. erm ur lumping 2u math and chem/phys together
2. if you're r1 that doesn't matter. if you wanna be getting b6 in a school that historically gets 0 b6's, you should realistically be r1 or very close to r1.

Shavi Masee

HSC
idk what course i wanna do tho maybe optometry or a math teacher
but if optometry im moving to melbourne bc the university of melbourne has a double degree of something and a 'doctor of optometry' so i enter as a student n graduate as a doctor

for math teacher, im not gonna do math in uni bc all my math teachers said its hard n boring maybe a science degree (one of the ext 2 math tecahers has a bachelor of teacher master of science - so no math degree) n teaching doesnt need a high atar
UNSW is the 2nd best keep that in mind for optometry.
And I just asked my dad (an optometrist) what the difference between Melbourne and UNSW is for the course. It's the same thing under a different name. They use to offer something related to the "doctor" part in the name with some partnership in America, but they don't offer it anymore and just stuck with the name.

If you're really interested in the course and have more questions I can get you an email with UNSW optometry staff cuz of my dads relations.

carrotsss

HSC
ohh im not talking abt the school overall @jane1820 says the individual subjects they want to do get 0 band 6s. its harder for your subject band 6 numbers to jump than your overall school band 6 numbers if that makes sense
most of my subjects had 0 band 6s for years and I still did fine, you just have to rank first

iloveeggs

HSC
most of my subjects had 0 band 6s for years and I still did fine, you just have to rank first
ye i agree and my point still stands. even with you getting a band 6 in a subject, the total number of band 6s in that subject for that year went up from 0 to however many ppl band 6'd with you. the point is your individual success doesn't change your school's band 6 rate by much unless you pulled a bunch of ppl up with you

jane1820

HSC
UNSW is the 2nd best keep that in mind for optometry.
And I just asked my dad (an optometrist) what the difference between Melbourne and UNSW is for the course. It's the same thing under a different name. They use to offer something related to the "doctor" part in the name with some partnership in America, but they don't offer it anymore and just stuck with the name.

If you're really interested in the course and have more questions I can get you an email with UNSW optometry staff cuz of my dads relations.
can u ask someone if i can do work experience w any of the optometrists? Preferably around the starthfield area (cant be bothered going very far)
term 4 week 6 so in mid november

skzza

HSC
the only good skl around me is strathfield girls n i wasnt allowed to go there even tho i live on one of the intake areas but on the lower end where 'it isn't part of the local area' i try applying every yr but they wont budge

do u think there is a way around it? (my parents btw when i first moved to australia got a note from the department to let us in n they still didnt budge)

(to explain: say for example there is street cake, the very top to the middle end of the street is in area but i live on the end of the street n therefore wont count as in area; tbh its so stupid bc i literally live on the street but they just bitches - the principal)
do you have any family members that go stratty? they're more lenient if you do^^

iloveeggs

HSC
if im gonna be honest there is a very low chance ill be able to come first (except in like arabic) bc the ppl in class r ppl who r like rlly competitive n ive only been at my skl this yr (one yr) so im not too familiar yet w the whole expectations

n if i compare it to my old skl i would definitely say at my current skl the learning is much better the teachers care (provide very good feedback), give a lot of practise and there are competitive students

for private i was actually meant to go private (so can afford it) but my sister didnt want to move skls bc she didnt want to start new in yr 11 (or something)

tutoring: if its only for resources i feel like there are a lot of resources online, for learning i need to wait n see how i go (my parents wont bother paying for tutoring if they dont see that im failing - like my sister struggles w physics but isnt failing so she doesnt go physics tutoring)
is your grade much better than the previous y12 cohorts? if they are around the same level and you guys are also expected to get close to no band 6s you have to try and make rank 1 in your subjects and do well. i get ppl in your school are competitive but they are competitive in almost every school and if you want to get a band 6 badly enough you should put that aside and grind. moving to a higher ranked school wont necessarily help you on its own, it will just mean that there will be more people getting band 6s so your ranks dont have to be like 1st or in the top 5 to make a band 6, you can get away with being top 10 or top 20 or whatever. so at the end of the day you have to work hard regardless but you will have to work harder at your school if you decide to stay and have to rank close to rank 1 if you want to band 6 your subjects

i would highly highly recommend tutoring if you can afford it and if you can convince your parents to go. in fact id say you shouldn't wait until you're failing to go for tutoring. its like standard practice amongst selective and private school kids and typically they dont go bc they are struggling but its more so to consolidate knowledge from school and get extra support outside of school that can push them to do better.

not going tutoring wont disadvantage you, especially if you have a lot of motivation and are great at self study but generally speaking even though there are tons of resources online its unlikely you'll set aside a couple hours every week to go through it all, learn the content and do practice papers etc. tutoring is an excellent resources that you can use to your advantage bc it forces you to do all of that on a regular basis and you can ask questions and go through content your school might overlook or skip. they go by the nesa syllabus and make sure to include most of what is assessable and often its harder than your actual school stuff which is great practise for the hsc.

also just a question why does it matter to you/your parents that you do what your sister does? not to be rude or anything i just dont get it

jane1820

HSC
is your grade much better than the previous y12 cohorts? if they are around the same level and you guys are also expected to get close to no band 6s you have to try and make rank 1 in your subjects and do well. i get ppl in your school are competitive but they are competitive in almost every school and if you want to get a band 6 badly enough you should put that aside and grind. moving to a higher ranked school wont necessarily help you on its own, it will just mean that there will be more people getting band 6s so your ranks dont have to be like 1st or in the top 5 to make a band 6, you can get away with being top 10 or top 20 or whatever. so at the end of the day you have to work hard regardless but you will have to work harder at your school if you decide to stay and have to rank close to rank 1 if you want to band 6 your subjects

i would highly highly recommend tutoring if you can afford it and if you can convince your parents to go. in fact id say you shouldn't wait until you're failing to go for tutoring. its like standard practice amongst selective and private school kids and typically they dont go bc they are struggling but its more so to consolidate knowledge from school and get extra support outside of school that can push them to do better.

not going tutoring wont disadvantage you, especially if you have a lot of motivation and are great at self study but generally speaking even though there are tons of resources online its unlikely you'll set aside a couple hours every week to go through it all, learn the content and do practice papers etc. tutoring is an excellent resources that you can use to your advantage bc it forces you to do all of that on a regular basis and you can ask questions and go through content your school might overlook or skip. they go by the nesa syllabus and make sure to include most of what is assessable and often its harder than your actual school stuff which is great practise for the hsc.

also just a question why does it matter to you/your parents that you do what your sister does? not to be rude or anything i just dont get it
i love ur advices lowkey ur so true

also abt my sister nah it was just an example
but generally speaking my sister’s experiences is more like an ‘experiment’ like when i first heard abt selective my mum told my sister to apply bc we didnt know what it was n the same abt tutoring like we (including my parents) never been to tutoring so my sister going tutoring is more like to see what it is n how it can help if ykwim?
idk if i answered ur question but yh

jane1820

HSC
if you can go private why not santa or meriden they're really close by and IMO a lot better than selective 🙏
Stop im scared to go santa 😭 i have friends there n i love the yr 10 cohort but umm u guys heard the news….

ill probably see if my parents agree to send me private bc in my parents eyes my current skl is ‘wow’ i mean when u compare it to my old skl (bottom third) i see why n i agree on that

skzza

HSC
Stop im scared to go santa 😭 i have friends there n i love the yr 10 cohort but umm u guys heard the news….

ill probably see if my parents agree to send me private bc in my parents eyes my current skl is ‘wow’ i mean when u compare it to my old skl (bottom third) i see why n i agree on that
yeahh that was sad 😢
But like if your school is ranked ~400 then I'm pre sure your parents would understand you wanting to move to a better school right? I doubt there's much academic difference from your new school and your old one based on the rankings 😮

Shavi Masee

HSC

what happened T-T?

I just searched it up. What's going on with this world. I hope however did that to the girl receives their punishment.

Last edited:

jane1820

HSC
yeahh that was sad 😢
But like if your school is ranked ~400 then I'm pre sure your parents would understand you wanting to move to a better school right? I doubt there's much academic difference from your new school and your old one based on the rankings 😮
For my parents its mostly abt the teachers
like my old skl: teachers didnt take, no work, no teaching, they would walk into the classroom n sit on their phones, if i ask for help they pull up youtube.

my current skl: teachers generally care, give work, actually teach, if i need help they actually explain it instead of just pulling up youtube

but yh as i said im gonna n try to at least make them consider private

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)