• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Am I the only who finds the HSC... (1 Viewer)

jaggy snake

HSC
completely and utterly grossly UNFAIR?

How does the Board of Studies justify the following (this is all just stuff I've heard, but I'm assuming it's all true because it seems to be the general consensus):

1. Scaling in general. Why on Earth should your mark be anything other than what it is in the first place?

2. Altering of marks (for example, the top ranked student before the HSC getting the top HSC mark for his school if he does reasonably well, even if someone other than him gets the marks?)

3. Altering of marks depending on your class/yeargroup. Sucks to be you if you're smart but go to a crap school. If anything bad schools should be scaled higher.

4. Condensing all your exams into one score (the UAI). Why not just have an individual grade for each subject and leave it at that, so that as long as you do well in the relelvant subjects only, you can get into the course you want.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I find the whole thing completely unjust, not to mention so complicated it's bloody scary.

Anyone able to justify the actions of the BOS, or just agree/disagree?

jaggy snake

HSC
lolcal said:
lol you're so fucking dumb, you don't deserve justification. if you can't comprehend your first point then you have much bigger things than bos policies to worry about.
Care to elaborate on that? Telling me I'm dumb isn't going to help me understand whatever it is that's apparently so obvious.

theshortykatt: Nah, my subjects are actually hard and scale quite well, although my Physics class is quite dumb. (Ext. 1 English and Maths, Chem, Physics and 1U Studies Of Religion). I just find the whole concept of scaling ridiculous.

michael1990

HSC
Without Wings beat me to it.

But maybe you should do a little bit of reading in regards to the UAI, Scaling and BOS.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
On these matters I'm usually of the position that you can't change anything (at least not when it will most effect you) so instead of worrying about things you can't change you should focus on things you can i.e. assessments, exams and study.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
michael1990 said:
Without Wings beat me to it.

But maybe you should do a little bit of reading in regards to the UAI, Scaling and BOS.
She beat you do it?

Implying your answer was going to be anywhere near as good as hers?

runnable

HSC
jaggy snake said:

How does the Board of Studies justify the following (this is all just stuff I've heard, but I'm assuming it's all true because it seems to be the general consensus):

1. Scaling in general. Why on Earth should your mark be anything other than what it is in the first place?

2. Altering of marks (for example, the top ranked student before the HSC getting the top HSC mark for his school if he does reasonably well, even if someone other than him gets the marks?)

3. Altering of marks depending on your class/yeargroup. Sucks to be you if you're smart but go to a crap school. If anything bad schools should be scaled higher.

4. Condensing all your exams into one score (the UAI). Why not just have an individual grade for each subject and leave it at that, so that as long as you do well in the relelvant subjects only, you can get into the course you want.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I find the whole thing completely unjust, not to mention so complicated it's bloody scary.

1. If i do 4U maths and do complex numbers, further inverse trigs etc and get 80 marks. And you do General Maths, doing formula provided geometric series and get 95. Talk about fair?

2. If you are really good, you should come first internally and externally. The first internally ranked will not fare that badly in the externals except in exceptional situations. Which he/she should still get credit for his first internal rank. As they proved that he/she is actually No.1 in their year and this slightly lower external exam mark is more of a one off thing anyway.

3. No such thing as school moderating. If you come first in a shit school and prove yourself to be really that good, you UAI will not be affected at all. Its people who go to shit school and still can't come first who whine about stuff like this. They are just not good enough.

4. IMO the HSC and the UAI is one of the best and fairest systems in the world. Compared to stuff like A levels, IB etc, the HSC gives students more opportunities to do what they like and do well in them. Note that English is the only compulsory subject. Why would you like individual subjects marks? You pretty much choose all your subjects and there is no reason you dun do well enough in them to warrant a good UAI. Unless of course, you are shit in the courses you do anyway, in which case the individual scores will not help you either.

runnable

HSC
Exphate said:
Fucking hell.

If you find it so damn unfair, drop out of school.

+1

And even so, its not unfair if you think about it with a clear mind.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
to the OP, mate you really have to learn how to do some research.

its called google.

or just go onto boardofstudies or uac.

or if those sources dont satisfy you, there have been plenty of threads to do with what your asking about. learn to use the search feature on the forum.

jaggy snake

HSC
runnable said:
4. IMO the HSC and the UAI is one of the best and fairest systems in the world. Compared to stuff like A levels, IB etc, the HSC gives students more opportunities to do what they like and do well in them. Note that English is the only compulsory subject. Why would you like individual subjects marks? You pretty much choose all your subjects and there is no reason you dun do well enough in them to warrant a good UAI. Unless of course, you are shit in the courses you do anyway, in which case the individual scores will not help you either.
I have to say I disagree. I was born in Scotland and lived there till I was 13, and believe the system there to be infinitely fairer. Individual grades for the subjects mean you can get a C in maths and still get into, say, law at any uni providing your marks for english and other relevant subjects to law were good (it works the other way as well). Also, ranks didn't come into it at all, meaning that there was one definite standard needed to reach an A, which, theoretically, could be achieved by everyone, whereas only the top so-many-percent can get a band 6 here (I believe? Do correct me if I'm wrong).

Exphate: I don't find it so unfair that I'd sacrifice a university education to defend the cause.

And by the way, I actually stand to do alright from the system, I go quite well in all my subjects, so it's not particularly unfair to me. The whole system in general just strikes me as not quite just.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
jaggy snake said:

Get over it sunshine, you can't changes the rules just because the princess in your doesnt think they are fair.

runnable

HSC
jaggy snake said:
I have to say I disagree. I was born in Scotland and lived there till I was 13, and believe the system there to be infinitely fairer. Individual grades for the subjects mean you can get a C in maths and still get into, say, law at any uni providing your marks for english and other relevant subjects to law were good (it works the other way as well). Also, ranks didn't come into it at all, meaning that there was one definite standard needed to reach an A, which, theoretically, could be achieved by everyone, whereas only the top so-many-percent can get a band 6 here (I believe? Do correct me if I'm wrong).

Exphate: I don't find it so unfair that I'd sacrifice a university education to defend the cause.

And by the way, I actually stand to do alright from the system, I go quite well in all my subjects, so it's not particularly unfair to me. The whole system in general just strikes me as not quite just.
Yea well im not going to comment cuz i have no idea of Scotland's education system. But i would just like to add, Scotland's population is... about 5million? And Scotland would have about the same number of unis as Australia. So it matters more for Australian universities to have a clearer picture of a candidate as competition is tougher here. It cannot be that flexible due to limited positions.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I don't see why you're complaining about scaling? By the looks of it you do subjects that scale well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)