America or Australia? (1 Viewer)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Good - it's settled. They're all correct.

braintic

HSC
N/A
way to let stereotypes get into your head.
Assuming you are saying that the problem with stereotyping is making a sweeping generalisation (because I can't think of any other possible problem with it - in fact, stereotyping is just a commonly used generalisation about people):

Didn't you say: "Highest anti-vax rates are in rich suburbs in Sydney. I blame the uneducated housewives of rich people."

Was that generalising?

Or what about this one?: "fuck the turks. giant shitbags..."

Tell me - when is generalising/stereotyping valid and when is it not? I suspect the answer is that it's valid when you agree with the sentiment, not valid when you don't.

(Regarding your first statement, it is interesting that you think that the entire responsibility falls on the wife. Sounds to me like a misogynistic leaning)

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Australia

45 gun massacres in the U.S. IN 2015 Already

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Fun Fact: Your body will fully decompose eventually assuming we don't achieve biological immortality within the next 150 years.

Now that we have that out of the way, we can take a look at the risks of going to the big name universities in the United States.

Oh look at that, sedentary lifestyle increases your risk of long term diseases.

Looks like we won't make it to immortality after all.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Australia

45 gun massacres in the U.S. IN 2015 Already
If you count all mass shootings in the US (more than one dead or injured) there have been 297 so far this year.
If you count shootings with more than one death, there have been 84.
The total number of gun deaths in the US this year is 9995. That's one every 40 minutes.
9996 .... 9997 ..... 9998 ...... 9999 .....

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Guns need to go, normal civilians should not be able to have access to guns

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Assuming you are saying that the problem with stereotyping is making a sweeping generalisation (because I can't think of any other possible problem with it - in fact, stereotyping is just a commonly used generalisation about people):

Didn't you say: "Highest anti-vax rates are in rich suburbs in Sydney. I blame the uneducated housewives of rich people."

Was that generalising?

Or what about this one?: "fuck the turks. giant shitbags..."

Tell me - when is generalising/stereotyping valid and when is it not? I suspect the answer is that it's valid when you agree with the sentiment, not valid when you don't.

(Regarding your first statement, it is interesting that you think that the entire responsibility falls on the wife. Sounds to me like a misogynistic leaning)
The turkish government are giant shitbags, you know the same people who decided to stand and watch whilst thousands were being slaughtered near their border. You obviously have no understanding of international politics.

Not exactly wrong about the rich housewives part either. You do realize a lot of anti-vaxxers have been women correct?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...tion-rates-research-shows-20140326-35iy3.html

braintic

HSC
N/A
The turkish government are giant shitbags, you know the same people who decided to stand and watch whilst thousands were being slaughtered near their border. You obviously have no understanding of international politics.

Not exactly wrong about the rich housewives part either. You do realize a lot of anti-vaxxers have been women correct?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...tion-rates-research-shows-20140326-35iy3.html
You didn't say "the Turkish government". You said Turks.
Perhaps a Turk could look at the racist policies of Australian governments past and present, and use that to claim "Australians are shitbags". Would that be a fair statement?

And I didn't say you were totally wrong about the housewives.
You don't seem to understand my point. You accused me of stereotyping, which basically means generalising (but carrying the added connotation that the generalisation is a commonly believed one). Yet you have also made sweeping generalisations.

You could argue that a generalisation is "generally more true than for the rest of the population", and that is my stance with my own comments. But you can't argue about whether or not generalising is appropriate based solely on your own perception of the truth of the comments.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You didn't say "the Turkish government". You said Turks.
With the context of the post given, I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain would know I was specifically talking about the Turkish government, similar to how people post about the 'russians, americans, germans' did xyz with their military.

Your entire view of the US is to portray it as some buttfuck backwater filled with religious fevour and gun toting cowboys is pretty much wrong. It's a country with 300 million people and 50 individual states with very different cultures. Advising someone not to go there because 'hurr durr redneck baby killers' it just blatantly ignorant.

braintic

HSC
N/A
With the context of the post given, I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain would know I was specifically talking about the Turkish government, similar to how people post about the 'russians, americans, germans' did xyz with their military.

Your entire view of the US is to portray it as some buttfuck backwater filled with religious fevour and gun toting cowboys is pretty much wrong. It's a country with 300 million people and 50 individual states with very different cultures. Advising someone not to go there because 'hurr durr redneck baby killers' it just blatantly ignorant.
Firstly, please point out where in my comment I advised someone not to go there.

Now - if you were talking face to face with a Turkish civilian, and you had been discussing the actions of the Turkish government/military, even if he was agreeing with you on that matter, you would have no problem saying to him "Turks are shitbags"?

Re the USA - they have 89 guns per 100 residents. If that's not gun-toting, I don't know what is.

But I was surprised to learn that the number of christian fucks in the US is plummeting - down 7% in 7 years, with Massachusetts actually falling 15% in that time.
Add to this the fact that only 27% of weddings in Australia in 2013 were religious ceremonies, and things are looking up for the world.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Depends on the state in regards to gun ownership. If you lived in NYC gl getting a firearm. But if you lived in Oklahoma it's a different story. The only reason why any of the shootings are making the news is because it's occurring in well off white states/neighbourhoods eg colorado, oregon (hipster heaven) and Connecticut (rich people heaven). the numbers are a bit false since most gun owners in the US would own multiple firearms (rifle, pistol and shotguns are standard).

NZ and Switzerland has pretty high ownership of firearms and they don't really have a lot of the problems that the US have.

LeaV

HSC
N/A
For those who are looking to study in Autralia, I reckon to contact study network australia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)