Amount of related texts for English ADV (1 Viewer)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Ok so my teacher said that I need at least 2 and a good amount would be 4. I really really don't want to analyse and remember a whole lot of crap, so I'm leaning towards 2.. which is really not recommended. Also are there limits on what text type we can pick? Like both films or posters or cartoons? or does it have to be different?

Tips, opinions, anything?

*Note: I HATE analysing films, we're currently doing Rabbit-proof fence which I really didn't enjoy -_-

Please move me if I'm in the wrong thread. Thanks!

addoil

HSC
No, all your text genres have to be different, so you can't do two films or two posters or two cartoons etc...

If your teacher recommends you 4 and you're only bothered to do 2, then why not just do 3? Yup, I know. Einstein.

Oh and there's a whole lot more genres you can choose from other than film (although I personally find film relatively easy - doesn't take long to read, loads of techniques, you can use both quotes AND visual techniques etc etc...). Otherwise you can do poems, artworks, songs (not recommended), plays, picture books, cartoons, novels (not recommended), short story etc...

K

khorne

Ok so my teacher said that I need at least 2 and a good amount would be 4. I really really don't want to analyse and remember a whole lot of crap, so I'm leaning towards 2.. which is really not recommended. Also are there limits on what text type we can pick? Like both films or posters or cartoons? or does it have to be different?

Tips, opinions, anything?

*Note: I HATE analysing films, we're currently doing Rabbit-proof fence which I really didn't enjoy -_-

Please move me if I'm in the wrong thread. Thanks!
Your texts can be the same text type or genre. Disregard the above poster. It's not good if they are the same as your RT, and generally, you want them to be different, but if worse comes to worse, then it's fine. The reason is, your RTs have to show insight into the AOS or Module. By only choosing the same text type, you're not showing insight. Additionally, it can be whatever you want, but make sure it's complicated enough that you can analyse it in great depth. Unless it's amazing, don't do pictures/posters/songs/picture books etc. Those are lame and too simplistic. Put in some work, and find two texts that really work with your prescribed. I wouldn't bother with more, just make sure you spend enough time finding two that really work well.

Bobbo1

HSC
Yep only 2 is required, not sure why your teacher is asking you to do 4 related texts, but I would say stick with the basic like poems, novels, short story, films or pictures and don't do something obscure like a song unless you're musically talented...

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
All the comments are different -_-

I think she wanted us to have a more variety of related texts to choose from so that it would suit the question better or something. My prescribed text (I think that's what you call it) for belonging poems from Emily Dickinson. I already have a related text which is a cartoon by Leunig, it's a common one and easy to analyse. 'The Great Important Conversation'. I was going to do part of a song or something since I already have a picture for one of them.

We're doing Rabbit-proof fence in class for related but I don't really get movies so... *shrugs*

K

khorne

All the comments are different -_-

I think she wanted us to have a more variety of related texts to choose from so that it would suit the question better or something. My prescribed text (I think that's what you call it) for belonging poems from Emily Dickinson. I already have a related text which is a cartoon by Leunig, it's a common one and easy to analyse. 'The Great Important Conversation'. I was going to do part of a song or something since I already have a picture for one of them.

We're doing Rabbit-proof fence in class for related but I don't really get movies so... *shrugs*
Don't do leunig cartoons, for the love of god. Easy to analyse means shit RT. If you want some suggestions, you could try Waldman (men?)'s essays about living in nature, Love song of J.A.Prufrock (this is a good one for em dick) etc.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Don't do leunig cartoons, for the love of god. Easy to analyse means shit RT. If you want some suggestions, you could try Waldman (men?)'s essays about living in nature, Love song of J.A.Prufrock (this is a good one for em dick) etc.
Ok.. first stupid question. What does RT stand for? Just because something's easy to analyse doesn't mean it's shit -_- and what is wrong with Leunig cartoons anyway?

Are related texts really that important or major part? I really don't want to stuff my brain with more crap than necessary since I don't like English and all..

K

khorne

Ok.. first stupid question. What does RT stand for? Just because something's easy to analyse doesn't mean it's shit -_- and what is wrong with Leunig cartoons anyway?

Are related texts really that important or major part? I really don't want to stuff my brain with more crap than necessary since I don't like English and all..
your essay should be 60-40 Pres:RT. So yes, they are important. Additionally, they have been asking for only ONE recently, which means your RTs have to be indepth. Cartoons, in general, but specifically Leunig are bad because they are over-done, and over-done poorly. These cartoons have only one message, have little depth and sophistication and are just plain lazy. It takes, at most, 10 hours to read, analyse and write notes for a RT, so you might as well put that effort in over the holidays. Your RT should be sophisticated (i.e. deal with several aspects of whatever you're doing, e.g. belonging, have several meanings or something like that), have depthh (a one page story has less depth than a book, but length isn't only measurement, some of Dickinson's poetry has lots of depth in a little over 10 lines. T.S eliot's poetry is also good for depth etc) and strive to pick something unique (picking something everyone does means your analysis has to be superb, as generic analysis of a generic text is pretty bad).

If you give a little effort to English, you won't regret it.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
your essay should be 60-40 Pres:RT. So yes, they are important. Additionally, they have been asking for only ONE recently, which means your RTs have to be indepth. Cartoons, in general, but specifically Leunig are bad because they are over-done, and over-done poorly. These cartoons have only one message, have little depth and sophistication and are just plain lazy. It takes, at most, 10 hours to read, analyse and write notes for a RT, so you might as well put that effort in over the holidays. Your RT should be sophisticated (i.e. deal with several aspects of whatever you're doing, e.g. belonging, have several meanings or something like that), have depthh (a one page story has less depth than a book, but length isn't only measurement, some of Dickinson's poetry has lots of depth in a little over 10 lines. T.S eliot's poetry is also good for depth etc) and strive to pick something unique (picking something everyone does means your analysis has to be superb, as generic analysis of a generic text is pretty bad).

If you give a little effort to English, you won't regret it.
Could you not debate that it's open to interpretation and hence can have many meanings anyway? Since you could only fit so much in the time given you would only be able to discuss so many points. Would you not want to discuss points in detail as opposed to many points in general?

Also about how you said if you pick something that everyone does means you have to analyse really well. I was thinking about picking something but I thought "what if the markers doesn't know what it is?" So now I'm not too sure what to pick >_<

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I did 3 related materials, but in essays, I always did 1 or 2, depending on the question. Even when they said at least one, I always stuck to one anyway as I was able to really flesh out my ideas and make my related material analysis on one text the same length as what my analysis on 2 texts probably would have been. I think having more than 2 related texts is a bit OVER safe though, but the major advantage is that it does give you more flexibility and more scope should they throw you a terrible question that focuses on a really narrow aspect of belonging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)