Amount of students per UAI point? (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
how many people would there be out of the state that receive the same UAI with the increments being in 0.05?

also is it the same amount of people for every UAI point?

e.g
99-100 = 1000 people
98-99 = 1000 people
97-98 = 1000 people

HSC
N/A
isn't it a kind of ranking percentage? Eg 0.01% of candidates?

Hrm if you could figure out the candidature size (something like 38 000, don't quote me on that though? That could be a figure for something else lol) then just divide it up...

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
There's a big document at UAC that goes through the whole process. Those who get 99+ are ROUGHLY in the top 1% of the state, so about 1% of the 60 000 odd students. However, as the marks lower, they become less in proportion to percentage, i.e. a UAI of 60 does not mean someone is in the top 40% of the state. I'll see if I can find the document.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Every year the UAC published a booklet about "Report on the Scaling of the xxxx (Year) NSW Higher School Certificate". If your school does not supply you with the booklet, then I think you can download the 2005 pdf version at:
http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html

There are warning though for the data in some of the tables:
"Because HSC marks and scaled marks serve different purposes, comparing HSC and scaled marks is of little value, and can lead to misinterpretations that may affect student choices of courses to study."

So read the WHOLE document properly, not just the tables.

DeathB4Life said:
how many people would there be out of the state that receive the same UAI with the increments being in 0.05?

also is it the same amount of people for every UAI point?

e.g
99-100 = 1000 people
98-99 = 1000 people
97-98 = 1000 people
It mainly depends on the quality of Year 12 cohorts of that year and quantity of students who received UAI on that year. Of course there are some other minor criteria. For example, according to the above documents, in 2005, NSW has 51 461 students receiving UAI. 18 students got 100 UAI, 836 students got 99 to 99.95 UAI and 826 students got 98 to 98.95 UAI.

webby234

HSC
N/A
So about 40 people per .05?

I think the fact that not 40% of students get over 60 is caused by the fact that not everyone gets a UAI.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
webby234 said:
So about 40 people per .05?
Not necessary. It has something to do with the percentage of the School Certificate (SC) cohort who had an SC mark less than or equal to the given SC mark (SC percentile) and also to the UAI eligible percentile. In 2005, there are 63 867 HSC candidatures (even those with only 1 or 2 unit/s), so only 80.5% of those received the UAI.

webby234 said:
I think the fact that not 40% of students get over 60 is caused by the fact that not everyone gets a UAI.
The average UAI (if you think of a bell-curve) is 66 point something because they use the distribution of School Certificate (for this year it would be SC 2004) mark to basically "scale up" the UAI as we know that most people with low SC marks did not continue to year 11 or drop out.

Look, I actually don't care how the scaling works etc. I believe the point of this alignment, moderation and scaling thingy is to make it fair, so this will encourage students to take subjects they like, not because it scaled high or scaled good. So just do your best and good luck in the HSC.:)

byers

HSC
its based on the canditure as everyone else has said but wat there all missing is that (my principal told me) its based on the amount of ppl that could be sitting the HSC so it includes everyone that started in kindergarten and dropped out, plus all the ppl that moved here from another state/country and are either sitting it or dropped out
so its not only the amount of ppl sitting the HSC
the canditure includes drop outs etc

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I have no idea abotu details but I always thought it was 40. I remember this being discussed somewhere back in 2003 and just used 40 since.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
byers said:
its based on the canditure as everyone else has said but wat there all missing is that (my principal told me) its based on the amount of ppl that could be sitting the HSC so it includes everyone that started in kindergarten and dropped out, plus all the ppl that moved here from another state/country and are either sitting it or dropped out
so its not only the amount of ppl sitting the HSC
the canditure includes drop outs etc
How can the Board of Studies have data about everyone that started in kindergarten? I believe the first time they assigned a number to every student in NSW is when the student did their School Certificate in Year 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)