Amount of Study Everyone does (1 Viewer)

The Savior

HSC
I have been hearing little rumours here and there that some people in the top high schools do between 6-9 hours of study every school day and more than 12 hours per weekend day. Is that true? Cause that's insane! I go to an average school in the country and try to do 5-6 hours per night and 11-12 per weekend day. When I tell some of my friends that, they reckon it's too much, which it probably is. I just can't imagine doing 9 hours per day, you would probably only get 5-6 hours of sleep max. Whenever I sleep less than 7.5 hours, I feel like shit. I know that it's not the amount of hours you do, but still 9 hours of good study is better than 5 or 6. Anyways enough ranting, have of you guys seen anybody do more than 6 hours of study per week night?

teridax

HSC
N/A
I call bullshit. If they are studying 6-9 each school day, then something is seriously wrong with them.

"9 hours of good study is better than 5 or 6" - I have to disagree, by the time you reach 4-5 hours, you're probably tired and want to take a break. It's not about the quantity; moreso the quality of your study.

I have seen people studying for over 6 hours, but they burned out easily, so obviously you can see why it's inefficient.

teridax

HSC
N/A
forgot to mention: majority of the h/w you receive that requires completion is useless, BARRING MATHS

HSC
What happened to their breaks and stuff? I base my studying on tasks I decide to complete so I don't actually count it as hours because of my frequent breaks

MysteryMoon

HSC
I can never study 6 hrs straight otherwise I'll just become worn out and then just lose focus, especially if it was 6 hrs EACH DAY. Which is why it's better to take 10-15 min breaks in between so that your study can be efficient.

Christofu01

HSC
I've only been doing maybe 90 minutes or so for today and yesterday, but over the next few weeks, I will probably gradually increase the amount I do :)

Rainbowlollipop

HSC
N/A
I have been hearing little rumours here and there that some people in the top high schools do between 6-9 hours of study every school day and more than 12 hours per weekend day. Is that true? Cause that's insane! I go to an average school in the country and try to do 5-6 hours per night and 11-12 per weekend day. When I tell some of my friends that, they reckon it's too much, which it probably is. I just can't imagine doing 9 hours per day, you would probably only get 5-6 hours of sleep max. Whenever I sleep less than 7.5 hours, I feel like shit. I know that it's not the amount of hours you do, but still 9 hours of good study is better than 5 or 6. Anyways enough ranting, have of you guys seen anybody do more than 6 hours of study per week night?
This is absolutely not true. I go to a top 20 selective school and we don't study 6-9 hours every school day. Everyone is pretty chill

rawrliongirl

HSC
I suck at staying focused. I just do my hw atm. I don't do any studying...LOL.
Once I sort myself out and get used to my new timetable I'll try and start studying a bit.
I finish at 1pm most days now but have to stay at school till 3pm so I can take my brother home. I have quite a few free periods between classes as well so I'm going to utilise all that time to do homework and studying.
Hope it works... whenever I go home on my early days, I end up getting really distracted. Hopefully I can focus better at school.

BombMacBomb

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm I'm not entirely sure about your claims. I was in year 12 last year and I don't recall anyone studying that much, except for perhaps during the awkward period between trials and the HSC exams. I don't think I studied every week, let alone every day. However, I did do some light reading every day for around half an hour to an hour max. What I do remember is that I never got more than 7 hours of sleep each night since the beginning of year 11, and I rarely got over 6 hours in year 12... I don't really know why though.

As for homework, I didn't really bother doing physics or maths work. No one really cared about set work for maths anyway and I just copied and submitted answers for physics because I was a lazy butt. I do remember routinely writing and submitting at least 1 english essay every week though, since english is my achilles heel.

If you do need practice for a certain topic in maths, do some of the sets from the textbooks. I'd recommend doing only odd number problems or only doing certain columns of the textbook, since you really don't need to do all the questions. You only really need practice with questions over a range of difficulties. Otherwise, go straight to past papers.

Of course, you should study more in the weeks leading up to the assessments and exams. However, even then, 6 hours a day is just too much.

So in the end, you don't need to study crazy amounts like 6 hours a day. Focus on your weaknesses, and perhaps do a tad bit of revision every day, like reading up on or refining your notes. If you really do need 6 hours of study every day, then you have efficiency issues...

rawrliongirl

HSC
As for homework, I didn't really bother doing physics or maths work. No one really cared about set work for maths anyway and I just copied and submitted answers for physics because I was a lazy butt.
I wish i didnt have to do my maths homework D; my teacher is such a hardass. She even checks our books to make sure we do it T_T

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
I wish i didnt have to do my maths homework D; my teacher is such a hardass. She even checks our books to make sure we do it T_T
Damn that's harsh, what is this Year 3?!? Let the students be responsible for their own study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)