• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Amus (1 Viewer)

HSC
This mightn't be the best place to ask, but could somebody tell me whats required in the AMus exam? Up until yesterday I thought it involved your four pieces and general knowledge only, but my piano teacher told me that I also had to do sight reading and aural (noo...). But I was sure that I had heard sight reading and aural werent tested...could somebody clarify this for me plz :)

HSC
*wipes away bead of sweat from face*

There is no way in hell I could pass AMus if I had to sight reading :(

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You're expected to essentially present a mini concert. You'll also be asked some general questions about the piece, including historical context.

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
hmm.. i dunno if i should ask here.. sorry for stealing your thread Silver Persian..

but what does AMus really allows you to do? like i heard it's a teaching degree or something? is that true or can you teach after 8th grade?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Sight reading and aurals used to be tested in the Associate exam, but they're not anymore. :)

but what does AMus really allows you to do? like i heard it's a teaching degree or something? is that true or can you teach after 8th grade?
The AMusA is an Associate diploma - achieving it nets you an academic stole (lilac coloured) and the right to put "A.Mus.A." after your name. In Australia, it ranks below an academic degree, and as far as I know it's not strictly a teaching degree. You can advertise to teach with any level of accomplishment, it's just more likely for you to get students if you have 8th grade, AMus or above. My piano teacher only went up to 8th grade, for example. That's what I know, anyway. :p

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)