An alternative choice - UWS Law (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm not aware of any law student on these forums from the University of Melbourne. Virtually everyone here is from NSW.

Melbourne Uni is a good law school however.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
If people didn't get the marks and really wanted to do law, I'm pretty sure they would have considered UWS themselves.

You don't need to advertise your uni dude. It's made of concrete and shit, I think it's more than capable of standing up for itself. Haha get it, I just made a building joke. This sentence brought to you by a high quality education at UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG now accepting enrolments for 2007 please oh god come to our uni we need students and acceptance.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Dear god I wish Larab's posts were better written so they were easier to read.

rubin

HSC
Its sad how Usyd/Unsw kids always get all uppity dare anyone compare another uni law school with theres. Not cool.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
rubin said:
Its sad how Usyd/Unsw kids always get all uppity dare anyone compare another uni law school with theres. Not cool.
actually i think the amount of uni-bashing in this thread has been quite low.

L

LaraB

Re: If you want to do law / think you might not get in

Frigid said:
no offence taken.

but i stick by my opinion of career advisers. all i remember him (it was a him in my school) doing was making me sit some silly program and... i think i got Arts or something.
I agree, most are useless - but some are good so it's not an entirely lost cause for them :)

We did all those lame programs in year 10 for the mandatory careers class, but when you needed real, geniune advice ours was awesome.

And wheredanton - i sense a slight deja vu hmm... - criticise the idea/point or just shush. There is no point in making personal insults - if you were so correct and your point is so self evident, it need not be said; if you are wrong, it need not be said so just shush.

L

LaraB

rubin said:
The rudest responses haven't been from usyd/unsw - although they obviously don't agree with the initial poster at least they have been polite/constructive :) unlike those supposedly advertising other unis....

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

LaraB said:
And wheredanton - i sense a slight deja vu hmm... - criticise the idea/point or just shush. There is no point in making personal insults - if you were so correct and your point is so self evident, it need not be said; if you are wrong, it need not be said so just shush.
My bone of contention is not being able to understand much of what you write. I wouldn't have a clue about your views on the issue in this thread.

L

LaraB

wheredanton said:
My bone of contention is not being able to understand much of what you write. I wouldn't have a clue about your views on the issue in this thread.
The end result is still the same - just shush

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

wheredanton said:
That's not really the case. "In defence of UWS" posts just aren't that interesting to read.

Spirits

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
yes.... i thought that was self evident.... :p
LaraB, have you ever regretted doing law at UWS, despite getting a UAI of 99?

L

LaraB

Spirits said:
LaraB, have you ever regretted doing law at UWS, despite getting a UAI of 99?
Yes, but never due to the teachers, course, facilities etc...

Only with regards to the fact that a lot of the students i've been in classes with are... i guess.... as far from committed to the whole uni thing as you could get. But, since I changed classes - i.e. from day to night classes (easier for work and stuff) it won't be a problem anymore since night classes tend to have more working students/mature aged students/post grad students - i.e. people who genuinely want to be there.

I love the way the teachers teach and the location and the course... social stuff isn't as great as the more centralised unis, but then again i don't exactly go searching for that kinda stuff since i have a life outside uni :p but then otejr people say the social stuff's good so just depeds on your perspective i guess :)

Given that i'm doing well marks wise I definitely don't regret it - especially as it has meant that teachers remember you and are willing to give you i guess, a bit more attention, and this directly led to me getting a couple of jobs and industry links etc

If you aren't going to do law at UWS with the intention of being a top student, don't go there, because being a mediocre student will not be beneficial for you... but if you're getting marks like I'm getting or higher, i.e. Ds at the lowest - it's awesome because teachers recognise that you wanna be there and wanna learn and they're relaly willing to help out - i'd much rather that than be your average P/C student at another uni...

Spirits

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
Given that i'm doing well marks wise I definitely don't regret it
Im guessing that people who get high UAIs wouldn't have trouble doing well at any uni.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
LaraB said:
If you aren't going to do law at UWS with the intention of being a top student, don't go there, because being a mediocre student will not be beneficial for you... but if you're getting marks like I'm getting or higher, i.e. Ds at the lowest - it's awesome because teachers recognise that you wanna be there and wanna learn and they're relaly willing to help out - i'd much rather that than be your average P/C student at another uni...
I just thought I'd stir the pot.

Do you think you would get D's at usyd with the regularity that you get them at uws?

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Trust me they do not hand them out any easier, it seems in my classes that few D's are given out. The argument often is it should be easier because the student's are 'less intelligent' or 'lazy' because the cutoff is lower but you should remember, we do have hard working students, high UAI students loads of mature aged and international students who are hard workers and other uni's do have full fee students etc...

L

LaraB

wheredanton said:
I just thought I'd stir the pot.

Do you think you would get D's at usyd with the regularity that you get them at uws?
Yes i think i would because my work is at the same standard as friends at other unis who also get those level of marks. But apart from that - that is a pointless question because being at UWS does not equate to easier marks. You clearly don't understand how uni works if you assume that I only get those marks because I'm at UWS. I get those marks because i have half a brain and do my work.

If marks were different from one uni to another - it would make no sense for D's/HDs to be easier to come by at UWS - if anything they would make them harder to attain to prevent ignorant dopes like you having this kind of ill-informed opinion.

L

LaraB

Spirits said:
Im guessing that people who get high UAIs wouldn't have trouble doing well at any uni.
lol not true... I went to BHHS and despite that a large number of people from school are failing units or just scraping through... of course lots are doing well, but a large group aren't.

UAIs don't equate to "uni intelligence" - you can't memorise your way through uni...

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
LaraB said:
Yes i think i would because my work is at the same standard as friends at other unis who also get those level of marks. But apart from that - that is a pointless question because being at UWS does not equate to easier marks. You clearly don't understand how uni works if you assume that I only get those marks because I'm at UWS. I get those marks because i have half a brain and do my work.
If marks were different from one uni to another - it would make no sense for D's/HDs to be easier to come by at UWS - if anything they would make them harder to attain to prevent ignorant dopes like you having this kind of ill-informed opinion.
Dear, I was stirring the pot. Baiting you. I even said it in my post. I was looking for a heated response. Respond like a rational and calm person. Have a look at Melc's post.

I still don't understand your quote above. You make it harder to get D's at uws to stop ignorant people from having ill informed opinions about the difficulty of getting D's at uws?

In any case I'm glad you have half a brain. However your explanation that your marks are not worth less because you go to uws because you have half a brain and do your work doesn't go far to explaining anything.

---
On a side issue...

Monash university's law soc, or so I heard, went on a concerted campaign to remind the law firms that it has a high quality student body and gives out less D's than it's other Victorian G8 counterpart.

I also give you credit for typing so your posts can be read with ease.

Last edited:

Angel45

HSC
LaraB said:
But, since I changed classes - i.e. from day to night classes (easier for work and stuff) it won't be a problem anymore since night classes tend to have more working studentnmis/mature aged students/post grad students - i.e. people who genuinely want to be there.

Although they're not all going to be the same, obviously, I did do a night class for a unit - worse class I've had yet.
I have no idea why they (by they I mean most of the class!) were coming while holding down a job during the day and having to come so late at night (you'd think those pressures would only mean the most committed would attend)..seemed they were less committed than any1 I've come across in day classes! strange but true

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
Although they're not all going to be the same, obviously, I did do a night class for a unit - worse class I've had yet.
I have no idea why they (by they I mean most of the class!) were coming while holding down a job during the day and having to come so late at night (you'd think those pressures would only mean the most committed would attend)..seemed they were less committed than any1 I've come across in day classes! strange but true
really? that's interesting... what class was that for?

just curious since i remember Tracey and Tim both saying how much better behaved their night classes were lol... as did my business lecturers... maybe they just got good ones or maybe you just copped a crappy one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)