• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

An ATAR estimate, please? Redux (1 Viewer)

jackl25

HSC
Hi all,

Can anyone please give me an ATAR estimate?:

Ancient History: 10/43 - 82%
Business Studies: 1/76 - 96%
Economics: 2/14 - 77%
English Advanced: 40/60 - 67%
Mathematics: 11/46 - 79%
Studies of Religion I: 6/128 - (44/50%)

School Rank: 308 [School is expecting this year's rank to be much higher].

Still aiming for an ATAR of 85-90. Attainable?
Cheers
Jack

enoilgam

HSC
I reakon 88-92, english could drag you down a fair bit. Its hard to say which unit wont count.

jackl25

HSC
I reakon 88-92, english could drag you down a fair bit. Its hard to say which unit wont count.
Thanks for that.

Do you know what band for English I'm looking at? I need a Band 4 minimum, but I think if I actually pushed myself, I could get very close to a Band 5.

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks for that.

Do you know what band for English I'm looking at? I need a Band 4 minimum, but I think if I actually pushed myself, I could get very close to a Band 5.
I'd say mid-high band 4.

jackl25

HSC
Okay. So, even with a dismal rank (40th out of 60) at present, I can still aim for a Band 5?!

enoilgam

HSC
Okay. So, even with a dismal rank (40th out of 60) at present, I can still aim for a Band 5?!
You could possibly get a band 5, although I'd say a band 4 is more likely. But since the externals are worth 50% of your mark, anything is possible.

jackl25

HSC
You could possibly get a band 5, although I'd say a band 4 is more likely. But since the externals are worth 50% of your mark, anything is possible.
Great. Thanks for all your help :) Much appreciated.

awbeyona

HSC
Yes, you can still aim for mid-high BAND SIX. I am not a school teacher but I have N.B. High School results (in Sydney). Your school mark is irrelevant. If you get a good mark in your Higher School Certificate (HSC), your school mark goes up by hips. Maximum movement I can see is plus mius three.

ie.

N.B. High School (Chemistry Results)

School Assessment - 56 <- (Even though school gave you a really really bad mark)
Moderated Assessment - 87 <- (Since you aced your HSC)
Examination Mark - 95
Overall HSC Mark - 91 <- (Aced it)
Band - 6 <- (Easy low Band 6)

What you do on that day is pretty much what you are going to get.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
What is N.B high school?? sorry to ask..

WOW though.. im assuming you had a strong cohort right?? or your exams were hell hard?

congrats on the result.

awbeyona

HSC
What is N.B high school?? sorry to ask..

WOW though.. im assuming you had a strong cohort right?? or your exams were hell hard?

congrats on the result.
I cannot tell you which school but it is in the top 50 in New South Wales. DO NOT aim for BAND FIVE. I have done my Higher School Ceritificate in 2009 and I have achieved 99.25 (Even though my school ATAR estimate was mid 80). Just do well in the HSC.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I cannot tell you which school but it is in the top 50 in New South Wales. DO NOT aim for BAND FIVE. I have done my Higher School Ceritificate in 2009 and I have achieved 99.25 (Even though my school ATAR estimate was mid 80). Just do well in the HSC.
@OP sorry for invading your thread.

Umm, i see your school is in the top 50 meaning a very powerful cohort which means collectively majority would ace the hsc in externals. My school rank is incomparable to yours rank 204, and my internal mark for 2unit maths is 44 with a pretty weak cohort (our highest is about 70 internal). Realistically band 6 is impossible so this is the reason-being why im going for band 5.. Btw for all my other subjects im going to get band 6!!!! (goal)

apollo1

Banned
HSC
Hornsby girls high school.

awbeyona

HSC
@OP sorry for invading your thread.

Umm, i see your school is in the top 50 meaning a very powerful cohort which means collectively majority would ace the hsc in externals. My school rank is incomparable to yours rank 204, and my internal mark for 2unit maths is 44 with a pretty weak cohort (our highest is about 70 internal). Realistically band 6 is impossible so this is the reason-being why im going for band 5.. Btw for all my other subjects im going to get band 6!!!! (goal)
But still if you ace your Higher School Certificate, you still have a chance. Sorry for asking but is your school in Sydney?

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
But still if you ace your Higher School Certificate, you still have a chance. Sorry for asking but is your school in Sydney?
Yes were in inner-west sydney, my school ranks fluctuates though from low 100's-low 200's. best rank we had was 80 which was like 4 years ago.

enoilgam

HSC
Yes, you can still aim for mid-high BAND SIX. I am not a school teacher but I have N.B. High School results (in Sydney). Your school mark is irrelevant. If you get a good mark in your Higher School Certificate (HSC), your school mark goes up by hips. Maximum movement I can see is plus mius three.

ie.

N.B. High School (Chemistry Results)

School Assessment - 56 <- (Even though school gave you a really really bad mark)
Moderated Assessment - 87 <- (Since you aced your HSC)
Examination Mark - 95
Overall HSC Mark - 91 <- (Aced it)
Band - 6 <- (Easy low Band 6)

What you do on that day is pretty much what you are going to get.
But NBHS is ranked like in the top 20 of the state (correct me if I'm wrong here) which means their cohort was very strong. It is extremely unlikely that a person coming 40/60 at a school ranked 300th in the state is going to pull out a mid-high band 6. Even if they manage to do it externally, their internal mark would almost certainly pull them down. Usually in english at a school ranked ~300, the top 3 or 4 at most get band 6 in english. In saying that I hope the OP can prove me wrong, but it is HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely (less then 0.5% chance in my opinion).

Also, raw internal marks dont mean anything, I'm going off the persons rank.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)