An Australian Bill of Rights (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Guess what, there is now an Australian Bill of Rights. It's an ACT act that only applys to them though.

If you don't believe me have a look on Austlii and look under acts - ACT - human rights act 2004.

Ch00

HSC
N/A
Interesting, but still very different from an entrenched Bill of Rights of national application...

funniboi

HSC
i love ur status
"king of bullshit"

lol it only applies to act? so why is it called an Australian Bill Of Rights then?

Werid!

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
you are partially correct with your statement regarding human rights "Enlighted one". However, it is not a bill of rights. A bill of rights is encompassing only to the rights that are mentioned in the act. This legislation is not. Here is a quote that reinforces my argument:

" part of the Act, is not exhaustive and may extend, but does not limit, the meaning of the provision in which it appears".

A bill of rights, whether it be legislative of entranched will limit other human rights that are not mentioned in the act. You must read your info thoughroughly before you make statements like this one. Lucky i got to you before the examiners did!!!

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I just glimpsed at it mate after reading about it in the paper. I wasn't going to put in an exam because it's such a new topic.

And I called it an Australian Bill of rights, not because it affected Australia, but because it was made by Australia, or rather the ACT.

I wasn't saying use it in an exam, but it may change the course next year, i was simply saying it was interesting

Thanks for that comment about my title. About everything I say is bullshit, it comes natural.

Dennis

I used the ACT human rights act in a trial question concerning how human rights were protected in Australia. Athough I only devoted about a sentance to it i still think that it is highly relevant to the topic of human rights. It is a bill of rights as it contains rights that governments cant infringe on. And it is an "Australian" bill of rights as it is relative to an Australian jurisdiction and concerns Australian citizens. I have briefly read the act and it does contain provisions similar to other bills of rights such as the US bill of rights. And although it isnt entrenched it still offers a great deal of protection.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Guess what, there is now an Australian Bill of Rights. It's an ACT act that only applys to them though.

If you don't believe me have a look on Austlii and look under acts - ACT - human rights act 2004.
And because the ACT is a Commonwealth Territory, that Bill of Rights can be overturned by a vote of the Commonwealth [federal] Parliament. Territories are not independent sovereign states like NSW, VIC etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)