"Analyse the circumstances where stretching is not recommended" (1 Viewer)

!Melody~

HSC
hey guys
"Analyse the circumstances where stretching is not recommended"
i can't think of when stretching is NOT recommended, and keep in mind the fact that it's an improving performance question not a sports medicine question so rehab doesn't come into it does it?
cause i'm really confused with that part of the question, you need stretching in almost anywhere dont you? i can't think of any activity where you do not need to stretch.

can you help me out guys?

here's the whole quesiton
Improving Performance
26 (b)
The majority of research indicates that, ingeneral, stretching is benficial in improving performance, increasing flexibility and reducing injury risk. Analyse the circumstances where stretching is not recommended and discuss the problems associated with two 'contraindicated' stretches. (12 marks)

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
hmmm maybe stretching is not recommended when your body is cold. ie that is you should only start stretching when youhave done some sought of exercise to raise the heart rate to oncrease blood flow around the body, because if you stretch when you are cold, there is a high chance you could tear or injure a muscle. im not sure if this ir right, but this is what i would write if it were an exam.

hehe withoutwings i beat you to another question...

!Melody~

HSC
oh yeah, didn't think about that, but in what other circumstances? that's 1, are there any other possible answers?

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
what about when someone gets injured and the extent of the injury is unknown, such as a suspected fracture. you wouldnt stretch then. Sorry thats all that comes to mind at the moment. good luck with it!

!Melody~

HSC
thanks ViolentJ but remember that it's an improving performance questions, not sports medicine =p

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
my mistake but im sure you wouldnt lose marks over it. the question mentions contraindications. Research that and see if you can derive any examples.

!Melody~

HSC
12 marks.. it's a big ask for a question like that though
contraindicated stretches dont say much about when not to stretch ... if i got this question in the hsc, i'll probably get 6 - 8 only, not the full 12 marks

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
i researched it and came up with some examples of when not to stretch. These times may include:injury, pregnancy, hypermobile joints, severe osteoporosis and pain .

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
Sorry this core wasn't my favourite or my strength. I hated it. hehe. best of luck anywayz!

!Melody~

HSC
no...
the repetitive thumping and jumping and landing of the heels causes the stun growth, not stretching, stretching is actually good for you in many different ways
there's also other reasons why/how gymnastics stuns your growth buts that's the most obvious
i think, not exactly 100% sure

TheKing

sorry this might be a bit late,

but has perhaps you could argue that stretching is not recommended prior to short duration power sports, as reaction time would be decreased (tiring of nerve firing impulses) blah blah blah and stretch shortening cycle etc...

I don't like that question, there is really no evidence that stretching prevents injuries. It increases flexibility. And its also a gay question cause it leads you think along the lines of contraindicated stretches and when not to stretch. Two seperate questions if you ask me.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
there have been studies that show that stretching does not prevent injury. the nsw waratahs warm up without any kind of stretching, and my rugby club does as well and i think it works fine.

about stretching stunting growth.... when i was younger i used to have problems with my knees and the pyhsio said it could be due to my bones are growing but my muscles were not lengthening with them. (i have really tight mucles i cant even touch my toes) thus imo there is no relation between stretching and stunting growth.

!Melody~

HSC
cool thanks Without Wings
hope your scanner gets fixed asap cause that article seems really interesting

twism012

HSC
Hey, just thought I'd put my two cents in, even though it might be a bit late...

There's no way that stretching stunts growth, it is even recomended by most doctors to stretch everyday while going through growth spurts, that way muscles have a chance to catch up with bones. Ozgood schlatter's (not sure on the spelling)a pain or ache from the pulling and tearing of the patellar tendon can even occur, especially in young male athletes, just from their mucles not being able to cope with the grwoth of their bones. This is why it is especially important for upper leg and lower back (hamstring and quadriceps) stretches when growing.

As for stretching in general, even though i believe it does help prevent injury, if there is no proof i can't really argue with that. Although, there have been studies that prove that it increases speed over long distances.

Oh yeah, and the "When stretching should not be done" question, i can only think that would be for injuries or pregnancies etc. And ballistic or contraindicated shouldn't be attempted by any inexperienced athletes..

There, that's it. Hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)