Anbody got UAI of 90+ with low scaled subjects?e.g gen maths (1 Viewer)

Skeeta

HSC
study hard...

i got 86.70 and did pdhpe, senior science general maths and hospitality.. i did adv and ext 1 english though..

Skeeta

HSC
what subjects did you do? how low scaling were they.. it also depends on what marks you got in them.

tristan88

HSC
I'm not entirely sure about scaling in NSW but in Victoria scaling doesn't seem to take the spot-light so much, so to speak. Sure, people talk about it but from my point-of-view it's no big deal.
You should do well, regardless of scaling, in any subject which you have genuine interests in. I have played around with ENTER/UAI estimates myself and have found if you did do Arts/Drama/Theatre and the like, it is possible to get 95+.

Lanz04

hi,
i got 93.5 and did gen maths, std english, hosp, religion 2u, society and culture, hosp, business studies

just work hard and it'll pay off

Karlz04

HSC
Skeeta said:
study hard...

i got 86.70 and did pdhpe, senior science general maths and hospitality.. i did adv and ext 1 english though..
What were your marks for English and Extension English if you dont mind me asking?
I got 84 in English, 43/50 in Extension 1 English, and 43/50 in Extension 2 English, and I only got 76.35 for my UAI. Its not enough to get me into an of the courses Ive applied for :( Im really disappointed with it.

Last edited:
S

Shuter

dazzi_dani said:
i did

std eng 77
bus 89
gen maths 92
bio 86
legal 88
geo 81

UAI: 90.10
Yeah scaling is fucked, don't believe the hype.

I did hard subjects.

Advanced English - 77
Math X1 - 65
Math X2 - 53
Economics - 85
Biology - 88
Physics - 84

You'd think a 90 UAI right?

Oh no, 86.90 is the correct answer.

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
I did a couple of lower scaled subjects (business st & general maths) and I got 96.95. I think the low-scaling subjects stigma is a bit hyped up.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i got 90.30 with 2u maths, ext1 maths, adv eng, spanish continuers, community and family studies and society and culture.

i was so not expecting band 6s in society and cafs, but they probably pushed me over the line!! :D

raymes

HSC
i wouldnt think a 90 uai cause you did very crappily in ext1 and 2 maths and averagely at best in english. doing 4unit maths doesnt automatically give you a pathway into a 90+uai. it obviously wasnt the right subject choice for you

alien

HSC
yeah one of my friends got 92 point something and she did general maths. but she also did ext2 english and stuff like that
our dux last year got 97.00 or something and she did gen maths, standard english, no sciences etc.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Shuter said:
Yeah scaling is fucked, don't believe the hype.

I did hard subjects.

Advanced English - 77
Math X1 - 65
Math X2 - 53
Economics - 85
Biology - 88
Physics - 84

You'd think a 90 UAI right?

Oh no, 86.90 is the correct answer.
But you have to do well to get above 90?

Maths E2 is great scaling (like getting 90 in 2 unit), if you beat 1/4 people (Like 60 HSC mark). But you didn't do that. Same with E1 Maths (But you've got to get like 80's to scale really well). English scales up at 87+ physics for like 88+. Bio has bad scaling and I'm not sure about ecos...

Rhi Kate

...!
HSC
Hey i did general maths and got 91.85
but i did do chem, ex eng and modern hist so???

S

Shuter

KeypadSDM said:
But you have to do well to get above 90?

Maths E2 is great scaling (like getting 90 in 2 unit), if you beat 1/4 people (Like 60 HSC mark). But you didn't do that. Same with E1 Maths (But you've got to get like 80's to scale really well). English scales up at 87+ physics for like 88+. Bio has bad scaling and I'm not sure about ecos...

I'm aware but I was mainly keeping mX2 as a gamble, so I would double the weight of my MX1 mark and then either MX2 or Physics would not count. As it is physics turned out well (how the fuck I don't know, I thought it was my worst exam bar MX2 and I had a huge cold and didn't even finish/attempt the last 3 marks of the test, as well as not knowing some other parts).

The main problem I think were my assessment marks. MX1 I had exam 73, assessment 57, final 65. Another guy had exam 79, assessment 88, so he only got 3 higher than me in the exam yet got 31 points higher in asessments! My fault for beingd lazy I guess (and a shit class).

Anyhow the thing said "due to MX2 student does not take 2U, it is likely he would of acheived a band 5 in this subject". According to 2003 results all I needed to do was get 83 or over in 2U and it would have been worth more than my Ext1 or 2 marks. That's pretty screwed, I feel I put in alot more effort and learned "more" in 3 and 4 unit than I would of had to learn for 2Unit to get an 83.

But ahh well, I can work around my marks.... just people getting 90's with some bodgey subjects at my school are annoying me, and kissarses who got high asessment ranks but did worse in almost every subject of the HSC exam.

Afurotsu

HSC
N/A
Friend did Senior Science / Studies of Religion / Engineering and got a 96! I'm going to stab him... :vcross:

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
Shuter said:
I'm aware but I was mainly keeping mX2 as a gamble, so I would double the weight of my MX1 mark and then either MX2 or Physics would not count. As it is physics turned out well (how the fuck I don't know, I thought it was my worst exam bar MX2 and I had a huge cold and didn't even finish/attempt the last 3 marks of the test, as well as not knowing some other parts).

The main problem I think were my assessment marks. MX1 I had exam 73, assessment 57, final 65. Another guy had exam 79, assessment 88, so he only got 3 higher than me in the exam yet got 31 points higher in asessments! My fault for beingd lazy I guess (and a shit class).

Anyhow the thing said "due to MX2 student does not take 2U, it is likely he would of acheived a band 5 in this subject". According to 2003 results all I needed to do was get 83 or over in 2U and it would have been worth more than my Ext1 or 2 marks. That's pretty screwed, I feel I put in alot more effort and learned "more" in 3 and 4 unit than I would of had to learn for 2Unit to get an 83.

But ahh well, I can work around my marks.... just people getting 90's with some bodgey subjects at my school are annoying me, and kissarses who got high asessment ranks but did worse in almost every subject of the HSC exam.
I agree with your 'don't believe the hype'... but no offence, with those kind of marks for 3 unit, did you really expect it to be worth 'doubling', as you put it? Everyone tells you not to gamble with the scaling system (well, at least that's what all my teachers and advisors and anyone else who thinks they know anything have told me). If I start almost failing ext 2 at any point in the next year I won't have much hesitation in dropping it, extraordinary scaling or not. You have to do reasonably well in a subject to capitalise on scaling.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
a freind did adv eng, IPT, gen maths, ancient hist and business studies and got high 90's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)