Ancient history work load??? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hi everyone i am in year 10 and have just finished my subject selections for next year, and i am a little worried about ancient history. this is because i have heard that there is heaps of work, and dont know if i will be able to cope. i also heard that in examinations and assignments that there is a lot of writing, this is a problem for me because i write pretty slowly and dont think that i will be able to write quality essays in a given amount of time...

so could anyone give me a rough outline of the workload that i can expect, and/or compare ancient history to other 2 unit subjects (in terms of workload)

thanksss

JB10

HSC
No more than any of my other subjects really.... I do Modern, Eco, Math, English and Society and Culture..

I'd say it requires the 3rd most amount of work out of my 6 subjects, the top 2 being English and Eco.

Nothing to worry about, it's a pretty cool subject.

Ruined-Phate

HSC
The workload for AH compared to other subjects like economics or business studies really isn't that bad. I remember teachers telling me there would be a lot of work as well but TBH it feels normal to me. And its hell of a lot more interesting as well.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
primeobjective said:
hi everyone i am in year 10 and have just finished my subject selections for next year, and i am a little worried about ancient history. this is because i have heard that there is heaps of work, and dont know if i will be able to cope. i also heard that in examinations and assignments that there is a lot of writing, this is a problem for me because i write pretty slowly and dont think that i will be able to write quality essays in a given amount of time...

so could anyone give me a rough outline of the workload that i can expect, and/or compare ancient history to other 2 unit subjects (in terms of workload)

thanksss
It is in essence an essay subject, the HSC exam is completely written. Although there are only usually two essay questions, the other two sections are short-long answers. Success in AH comes through belting out as much info you can, whilst keeping it relevant and detailed with sources/evidence.

schokman

HSC
primeobjective said:

thanksss
Ancient history doesn't really have all that much work...for me anyway :p Compared to the homework for maths, ancient is nothing. I'm not sure about the teachers in your school but I get little to no homework for ancient and there isn't as much content to learn in Ancient as compared to lets say..Legal studies. You should be fine.
Yeah, Ancient has alot of writing, but that's just like any subject. I'm pretty darn slow at writing too, but I'm doing ok.
My teacher is always telling us that is the quality of your work not the quantity (though you can't write like..just a page.)

happyhiccups

HSC
i do ancient history (and im coming first yay me) and my work load is so tiny in comparison to everything else, i'll do probably like a quarter of the work i do for everything else. Thats not to say don't do anything tho, if u put the effort in, you'll be rewarded, i think it also depends on what topics u do too, hope to god u dont do augustus ceaser in yr 12 omfg so boring only part im gonna fail...good luck buddy

bawd

HSC
I do Ancient History and the subject has one of the least workloads, ever. According to my teacher, AH has the least workload out of most subjects even in the HSC.

vasuu91

HSC
schokman said:
Ancient history doesn't really have all that much work...for me anyway :p Compared to the homework for maths, ancient is nothing. I'm not sure about the teachers in your school but I get little to no homework for ancient and there isn't as much content to learn in Ancient as compared to lets say..Legal studies. You should be fine.
Yeah, Ancient has alot of writing, but that's just like any subject. I'm pretty darn slow at writing too, but I'm doing ok.
My teacher is always telling us that is the quality of your work not the quantity (though you can't write like..just a page.)
not true. legal is heaps easier compared to ancient. the workload as such in ancient depends on how much u want to do..u can stick to the bare minimum info or u can go out there and look for good extra sources if u wanna be in the top band. so yea workload - not too much but defo not a subject u can do the night before.
however as has been said before there are other subjects that have heaps more work.

surfer/em

HSC
ive had like 1/2 hour homework a week
i think its easy
just da assignments can be big and needs effort put into it

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
primeobjective said:

thanksss
i like ancient but you have got to be prepared to READ lots of historians. the world load is hard(ish)- comparable to Modern history- but you dont do that!
anyway... im a slow writer as well but this subject has 2 section in the HSC where the response lengths are strictly controlled with like page responses that are easy to fill out (think like the history/geog SC)- so you can shave time there and add to your essay. there is only one proper essay and two extended responses but my teacher who is a judge for the subject awards top bands to 3 1/2 page responses (if they are good).

have fun in ancient, u'll enjoy it if u bunker down in year 12
:D

schokman

HSC
vasuu91 said:
not true. legal is heaps easier compared to ancient. the workload as such in ancient depends on how much u want to do..u can stick to the bare minimum info or u can go out there and look for good extra sources if u wanna be in the top band. so yea workload - not too much but defo not a subject u can do the night before.
however as has been said before there are other subjects that have heaps more work.
Really? I just had my legal exam and I had alot more trouble revising for that than my ancient... but then again.. I tend to remember ancient alot easier than I remember legal.. though I did have a heap more legal notes to go through than my ancient..and I don't get any homework in either of them
=p and I guess because I like ancient its really hard to see it as homework..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)