And you thought UWS wasn't good (1 Viewer)

Gurlpower

HSC
most of you guys dont alise its not that big a deal what uni mark you get

its the experience that counts

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
way to revive an old thread :|

*waits for a new wave of bashing*

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think UWS would do real good in its' marketing to put forward real life examples of students that have gone to uws and made the best of their education. I know of UWS students who work for top tier law firms, I've spoken to a few who are in their fifth years, it would be good to get their stories and use them as the centrepiece of marketing UWS law to prospective students.

I think the message needs to be sent that if you have the drive/ambition, you can do well with a degree from UWS.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think that would be the best marketing strategy as most people choose other universities over UWS purely for the rep factor (obvious, but needs mentioning).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I think UWS would do real good in its' marketing to put forward real life examples of students that have gone to uws and made the best of their education. I know of UWS students who work for top tier law firms, I've spoken to a few who are in their fifth years, it would be good to get their stories and use them as the centrepiece of marketing UWS law to prospective students.

I think the message needs to be sent that if you have the drive/ambition, you can do well with a degree from UWS.
Yeah, examples of past students showcasing there is absolutely nothing wrong with the uni is the best way to get the ignorant off the bandwagon. Unfortunately for the others, you're going to need a degree in rectal evacuations with the size of their respective poles.

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
AsyLum said:
Yeah, examples of past students showcasing there is absolutely nothing wrong with the uni is the best way to get the ignorant off the bandwagon. Unfortunately for the others, you're going to need a degree in rectal evacuations with the size of their respective poles.
You're both exactly right. I think a lot of people would be surprised at the number of people doing well in the "real world" with UWS degrees.

Another good tactic would be to expose the calibre of a lot of the lecturers at UWS. Whilst I've had a few shocking ones, I've also been taught by some pretty intelligent and experienced people, which would surely be appreciated by prospective students.

In the end, if you're serious (about your education) and determined you can do well with a degree from any university.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
In the end, if you're serious (about your education) and determined you can do well with a degree from any university.
Exactly and while I think basically everyone knows this, I think UWS should focus on it alot more... Their last campaign was 'the practical university' or something along those lines, but for one that's going to create alot of dissonance because alot of the units really AREN'T that practical and secondly alot of COURSES aren't practical (in the usual sense) by their very nature.

Alot of people from the West do not go to UWS, why is that? Because in many ways they don't feel it will be good enough for them... I think however highlighting that if you're good you will achieve good anywhere, along with the ease of transport for western sydney students to uws campuses, could help to bring in alot of the higher achieving students from the western suburbs, thus having a flow-on effect.

L

LaraB

It is mainly a marketing thing... but the uni acknowledge that..

I dunno if any of you were invited/attended the College of business Awards and Scholarships presentation night thingy a few weeks ago... but there's been some HUGE changes staff wise and program wise and marketing wise.. not to mention new facilities...

But the lack of marketing means no one knows about these... i mean... the guy who was giving me the award thing who's from the NSW IR Society didn't even know about them and he's like, in the industry... eg - School of Business has won the right, as in they had to submit proposals etc and were CHOSEN ABOVE other unis to host various national and international conferences and industry events over the next year or so...

These things really need to be promoted more because they are a HUGE achievement... it seems that with the new staff in these areas things are progressing a little more than they used to :)

aliasfan

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
I disagree. I remember one of my tutors even saying that it was classified as being one of the crappiest! Now this occurs because of the low UAI, as a result any dumbarse gets into the uni, which means you dont have the quality of students that a place like USYD does with only people with high UAI's getting in.... so if a employer off face value was to choose, using common sense, hes gonna want the person with less 'risk' so he goes with the USYD person. But in real life this isnt neccesarily the case, other factors determine it but that is one logic. Its as simple as that though. And this has been made worse cos in the year I came to UWS, 2005, they let even more people in because they were struggling financially from 2004 where they didnt let enough people in! So UWS isnt getting any better Im afraid.
Just because less abled students get into UWS doesnt mean they pass and do well. Thats kinda the point of exams. Uni is about learning; only people who got good UAIs would say that UWS is bad.

peterca

HSC
all you guys are idiots.

its not the uni but the quality of study that will determine your career.

Do you think a firm would hire a UWS student with a perfect GPA (grade point average) or a Sydney student who is barely passing?

Employers want people that have shown they are capable of getting things done and achieving well regardless of the environment they are in.

The same applies for high schools. Lots of people from so-called 'second tier' or 'crap' schools go on to achieve big things. its because they make the most of what they have.

peterca

HSC
all you guys are idiots.

Do you think a firm would hire a UWS student with a perfect GPA (grade point average) or a Sydney student who is barely passing?

Employers want people that have shown they are capable of getting things done and achieving well regardless of the environment they are in.

The same applies for high schools. Lots of people from so-called 'second tier' or 'crap' schools go on to achieve big things. its because they make the most of what they have.

Super_Flyse

HSC
This arguement is so circular and both sides always pick the same arguements...

Move on...
Just move on!

turtleface

HSC
peterca said:
all you guys are idiots.

I don't agree with it but bias exists in the minds of employers.

Your situation is hypothetical. The reality is when faced with 2 students of similar backgrounds and calibre, and one attended a prestigious uni and another attended a less than prestigious uni, obviously the former prevails.

its just like how double degree ppl may be preferred over single degree ppl even though the latter may have a more in depth knowledge from having done more subjects in one area.

Unfortunately thats the way it works in a lot of organisations.

If you can help it get into a top uni. Your education won't suffer at a 2nd tier uni, but your image in the eyes of (misguided) employers will.

Having said taht, you are by no means screwed if you go to a 2nd tier uni. Many of the country's top leaders in Science, business, law, medicine, politics etc. went to less than prestigious uni's.

And I believe many organisations still exist that are not swayed by what uni you went to.

No matter what uni u went to, you will always get good outcomes if you exhibit merit, you just may be disadvantaged a bit at first (for some organisations)

Last edited:

Lewis.Nicholson

HSC
I have been at the UWS Blacktown campus since the beginning of the year and I have to say it has some fundamental flaws that either can't or won't be fixed.

1. Firstly the area and travel arrangements for me personally are inconvenient. yeah you could argue that it was my choice to go there and its up to me to continue committing to the university, but they can't make it in hospitable environments and safe streets. Just walking through the streets in broad daylight makes my heart skip with nervousness and the prospect I could be in a dangerous situation.

2. The university life is rubbish. Infact there is none to speak of. Very few people seem to be interested in going to the city (which is near where I live to some fellow students distaste) on the weekend or drinking in the so-called 'bar' which closes at 2pm on Friday. When I told that to a Sydney Uni friend of mine he laughed in my face. The student union is also non-existant. They try and give you value for the $182 you spend on fees each semester but you just never see the returns except for maybe a free barbecue every six months but come on, its nothing to smile upon.

3. The teaching methods and overall staff proficiency is poor. We are apparently supposed to complete 40 hours a week of work including class contact and at home but with having a job 2 nights a week and wanting to spend time with friends and family, it leaves you with reduced time. Also, the fact that we are not given that much assistance especially in fundamental subjects and expected to complete every 'homework' (come on guys we aren't in primary school anymore) question or recieve a 'U' for unsatisfactory is particularly unfair and unhelpful.

I could probably go on and on with the shocking truth but these are fundamental flaws which the University doesn't know and won't make better. The university can continue to act in a lacklustre fashion while we try and just lift our heads through it but nothing can hide what is presented in these paragraphs. Unlike many who don't notice what I do, I greatly hope that I can move on after this semester to Notre Dame in Broadway which I think will suite the needs of a university student alot more and won't try and operate in a way which surrenders a students academic, social and economic life in the way in which UWS does.

pottsy44

HSC
Lewis.Nicholson said:
1. Firstly the area and travel arrangements for me personally are inconvenient. yeah you could argue that it was my choice to go there and its up to me to continue committing to the university, but they can't make it in hospitable environments and safe streets. Just walking through the streets in broad daylight makes my heart skip with nervousness and the prospect I could be in a dangerous situation.
you've seen nothing yet if you think it isnt safe to walk around quakers hill / blacktown.

how about you grow up and lose your insecurities.

Vahl

HSC
Hmm, I love it how people assume that people choose a uni based on uai, and that that somehow magically determines the quality of the broader student body - unlike USYD and other easy to access unis, UWS is the only local option for the 1.8million of Western Syd - the uai's reflect the bottom of the form, not the majority - ie most people go to UWS with as good credentials as go to other unis. GO UWS :p

Jonathan A

HSC
A HD from UWS is worth more than a HD from a sandstone uni (in law at least). The top unis (as in their students think they are) are giving more HDs out to compete with each other - knowing top firms go for people with higher GPAs. It's very unfortunate. Our uni is pretty fair on this front.

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
I have been to UNSW and Macquries before i come to UWS at parra campus.

One thing i notice is that UWS ppl are much hardworking people compare to other two. i can tell this by the numbers of people sit in the library study everyday.:rofl:

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
little-rat-boi said:
Go macquarie uni! :D:D:D

i love the atmosphere and its definitely better than UTS! and most definitely UWS (no offense people LOL)

I looked at UWS's International Business course and it TOTALLY looked crap..and who ever does it there should try transfer out...

MACQUARIE UNI .. i think it'll soon be as good as USYD and UNSW.. getting a train station and pool currently being in construction and soon getting our own private hospital on campus! ... so ... macquarie is fast becoming a major uni

Lucky to be in 'Club Mac'
No way man, UNSW crash MQ almost in almost every aspect lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)