Angels and Demons (3 Viewers)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Argonaut said:
Don't bother, it's not worth it. Dan Brown is a terrible writer, the only reason he sold so well was because of the conspiracy theory that everyone actually believed.I'll pass then. His characters, his locations, his scenes are all mediocre at best. I bet I could re-write The Da Vinci Code, cut out fully half of the 'story' and make a few tweaks here and there and it would be a book you'd actually want to read. Ivy can back me up, she's read my stuff (must send something her way soon ...)
I think it was an extremely enjoyable read, but still fiction. It's quite amusing how some people actually bothered going to France to see where the Holy Grail (according to Dan Brown's book) lay.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'll pass then. His characters, his locations, his scenes are all mediocre at best. I bet I could re-write The Da Vinci Code, cut out fully half of the 'story' and make a few tweaks here and there and it would be a book you'd actually want to read. Ivy can back me up, she's read my stuff (must send something her way soon ...)

I bet you could too. After I read Angels and Demons, I realised how much worse The Da Vinci Code seemed in comparison. It was enjoyable to read, yes, but I felt Angels and Demons had a far more realistic sense of urgency, and didn't need such a controversial heart to sustain itself. I think that at its heart, The Da Vinci Code is almost textbook thriller writing with a core that's more appealing than most, and that's why it's proved so popular. I feel the prequel stands up better in terms of writing, anyways.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
A&D was certainly an easy read and very enjoyable for me. I loved the puzzles and codes that had to be solved, the plot is quite realistic and was a very rivieting read lol. :)

HSC
I made the mistake of reading A&D right after DvC, so I saw the twist coming up and predicted it from about a third of the way in...which was kinda disappointing. Works well as a quick and easy read though, and those two are so much better than his earlier books (Digital Fortress & didn't even bother reading Deception Point).

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
I bet you could too. After I read Angels and Demons, I realised how much worse The Da Vinci Code seemed in comparison. It was enjoyable to read, yes, but I felt Angels and Demons had a far more realistic sense of urgency, and didn't need such a controversial heart to sustain itself. I think that at its heart, The Da Vinci Code is almost textbook thriller writing with a core that's more appealing than most, and that's why it's proved so popular. I feel the prequel stands up better in terms of writing, anyways.

I_F
Yeh, I agree that the prequel is better than The Da Vinci code too. Da Vinci Code was just more controversial. I personally think that Dan Brown is a good writer but I also feel that his style doesn't really work well with 4 books straight. Like if you read the 3rd book after reading two, you start to realise he's just using the same 'ingredients' again. So, in turn makes the novel's ending predictable. (Maybe since you know exactly who the mastermind is halfway through - for Digital Fortress) But I guess, it could just be me. Bleh.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
m0ofin said:
Yeh, I agree that the prequel is better than The Da Vinci code too. Da Vinci Code was just more controversial. I personally think that Dan Brown is a good writer but I also feel that his style doesn't really work well with 4 books straight. Like if you read the 3rd book after reading two, you start to realise he's just using the same 'ingredients' again. So, in turn makes the novel's ending predictable. (Maybe since you know exactly who the mastermind is halfway through - for Digital Fortress) But I guess, it could just be me. Bleh.
Brown does have a bad and annoyingly predictable habit of introducing the villain in the first few chapters of a book. I hope he doesn't do it again for Solomon Key. I'd be very, very disappointed if I can pick the end 5 minutes in.

I_F

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
Lol..Dan Brown..is definatley not a good writer, yet...A&D is still quite cool..It's a nice read...Worth it..even just for the brands(the images) lol..Something funny, I fell in love with Physics thanks to A&D...though for much better reasons...then smashing atoms..lol!

nwatts

HSC
Or if you're up for thrillers, see Matthew Reilly. I've only read one of his, but it has been fast-pasted and well written. Brown pales in comparison.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Off topic but I love Matt Reilly... I've read all his books and enjoyed all of his action packed stories.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lol it gets boring later on in the middle when they explain a bunch of crap, but later on its so fast paced and really intersting! its written a lot like Da Vinci Code, but personally its more thriller ish than Da vinci code. Everybody should try out these books. They are a great read.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Angels and Demons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Davinci Code
trust me read it, you'll love it - its my most fave out of all his books

Riviet said:
Off topic but I love Matt Reilly... I've read all his books and enjoyed all of his action packed stories.
agreed! ice staion in particular - best action book ive read ever!!!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
its all about degrees of shittiness in the end when it comes to dan brown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)