Angry Boys (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Any thoughts on the long awaited successor to Summer Heights High? It didn't strike me as much worse than SHH but didn't strike me as that original either. For the large part I felt he just sort of air lifted the same humour techniques onto a new lot of characters. It'll have less appeal amongst youths for the simple reason that it isn't set in a High School but on the whole I thought it was a bit better than We Can Be Heroes and about on par with SHH. We seem notoriously bad at making sit coms and for my money the three Lilley Sit Coms are easily the best we've had since Kath and Kim.

Kittikhun

HSC
It was only the first episode and, in it, not all the characters were introduced to us, so I can't really say much about it and make a comparison to his two previous series. I have to admit that I laughed out less in the first episode of Angry Boys than those of the previous series, but I believe this was because of the fact that all of the characters were introduced in his previous two series, in contrast with this one, and with that I mainly only laughed out loud at the physics dude and Ja'mie in WCBH and Jonah and Ja'mie in SHH; I gave all the others a smirk as much as I did with the characters in the first ep. of this series, so yeah. Also, I think it was because the trailer revealed too much-- I laughed out loud when Gran sang that 'Rehab' in the trailer but didn't when I saw it in the first ep..

I thought that it was original and I think that the storyline will be better than the previous two from what I registered from the trailer and the connections of the characters on Daniel's 'Wall of Legends' (or was it Heroes? I don't remember).

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Terrible

Laughed once bored for the rest of it

Lilley seems to be a proponent of recycling though so that's a silver lining

Lentern

HSC
Terrible

Laughed once bored for the rest of it

Lilley seems to be a proponent of recycling though so that's a silver lining
Up until now I thought you were the coolest person at this place. (If we're differentiating cool from lovely, SP is more lovely). Particularly surprised you found it boring, one of the things I like about Lilley as opposed to the Librarians or Fat Pizza is that he doesn't feel the need to clutter every sentence with clumsy half jokes and just allows the story to grow around some genuinely funny lines.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the show is great and find it weird that HBO will premiere it to America? It's one of those shows like the Chaser and SHH where its just a huge in-joke between Australians.

Having a go at the Bra Boys was fantastic hope he doesn't get shot.

I was discussing this the other day with a friend and basically the show is only good because Lilley scripts and plays the characters. It wouldn't be funny if an old woman played Gran, or if they got 17 year old twins to play Nathan and Daniel- the point of the show is that he embodies the characters and portrays them so well.

MUCCA MAD BOYS

Lentern

HSC
I think the show is great and find it weird that HBO will premiere it to America? It's one of those shows like the Chaser and SHH where its just a huge in-joke between Australians.

Having a go at the Bra Boys was fantastic hope he doesn't get shot.

I was discussing this the other day with a friend and basically the show is only good because Lilley scripts and plays the characters. It wouldn't be funny if an old woman played Gran, or if they got 17 year old twins to play Nathan and Daniel- the point of the show is that he embodies the characters and portrays them so well.

MUCCA MAD BOYS
Interesting take, was having a conversation with some people very recently, pondering whether or not casting actors would enhance or weaken the show. We all agreed that it's really impressive seeing him in the multiple roles but concluded the opposite to you, that actors would probably make the show stronger. (Providing ofcourse they were the right actors). They'd need to be caricatures, sort of showing that they could see the funny side to it like the 30 Rock Cast for example but I certainly think it would work.

Also Summer Heights High was popular in the US so, not so surprising really.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting take, was having a conversation with some people very recently, pondering whether or not casting actors would enhance or weaken the show. We all agreed that it's really impressive seeing him in the multiple roles but concluded the opposite to you, that actors would probably make the show stronger. (Providing ofcourse they were the right actors). They'd need to be caricatures, sort of showing that they could see the funny side to it like the 30 Rock Cast for example but I certainly think it would work.

Also Summer Heights High was popular in the US so, not so surprising really.
I guess, but for the purpose of the show the whole point is that Lilley plays all the characters.

Skateboard- GAY STYLE.

Lentern

HSC
Think it's long enough into the series to make a real judgement now, and the next Kath & Kim it ain't. I think the S'mouse character is a disaster, whilst Daniel and Nathan aren't much better. Lilly's fallen into the trap I think of treating a gasp of horror as being the same as an explosion of laughter. The Asian mother character is a bit like Little Brittain, reasonably funny concept but painfully repetitive. Gran is easily the strongest characters but even with her it's not so much a barrage of laughter but because the character is genuinely interesting and complex. I take back saying the Lilly programs are the best sit coms since Kath & Kim, this is floundering big time. Much prefer Lowdown, Hollowmen or Very Small Business to this.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
lol half of the people where I stay are american and we all watched it together

they spent half the time confused and the other half offended

Lentern

HSC
lol half of the people where I stay are american and we all watched it together

they spent half the time confused and the other half offended
Oh be quiet, you lost your authority to comment on the arts when you said and I quote "fiction is for girls"

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Oh be quiet, you lost your authority to comment on the arts when you said and I quote "fiction is for girls"
fiction is for girls

but regardless, I wasn't passing any judgement, just recalling an experience

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It's not as good as Summer Heights High. SHH was lightning in a bottle. It was awesome because for the characters (mostly the teenager girl and wog) you recognised those behaviours. The Nathan/Daniel character is alright for a similar reason, and Gran is funny because she's racist, but the rest are just boring.

Comeeatmebro

HSC
most characters are pretty funny, especially Nathan & Daniel. But S.Mouse and that surfer dude are just shit, srsly just get rid of them.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
its pretty good lol but SHH was better. I find it amazing that lilley can put himself in the shoes of the characters so well. I love gran but there's not enough of her. The twins are gr8, the japanese mum is great hahahaha, but S.Mouse annoys me and Blake that surfer guy is a bit meh. It needs more gran.

What I love about Lilley's characters in general (from all of his series) is that they are ignorant (not sure if thats the word im looking for) in one way or another, and its clear to the audience but not to themselves (eg. when Pat from we can be heroes was so keen on rolling to uluru and actually believed it would happen, although to the audience its obvious its not going to happen), and when the japanese mum wanted to help tim's depression by lightening his load, yet actually making it worse, and how she attributes his depression to his "misbehavior" lol

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
its pretty good lol but SHH was better. I find it amazing that lilley can put himself in the shoes of the characters so well. I love gran but there's not enough of her. The twins are gr8, the japanese mum is great hahahaha, but S.Mouse annoys me and Blake that surfer guy is a bit meh. It needs more gran.
Agreed, the first episode was such a tease with her. The stuff she said in that first episode are still the highlights and most memorable scenes of the whole series.

Lentern

HSC
It's not as good as Summer Heights High. SHH was lightning in a bottle. It was awesome because for the characters (mostly the teenager girl and wog) you recognised those behaviours. The Nathan/Daniel character is alright for a similar reason, and Gran is funny because she's racist, but the rest are just boring.
I appreciate that from the perspective of a student you could better relate to the characters in SHH, but SHH high was good for so much more than it's high school setting. Likewise there is so much more to the Gran character than just being, the Robyn Butler character in the librarians is spectacularly racist but has nowhere near the impact of Gran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)