Angus & Robertson - Top 100 as voted by Australia (1 Viewer)

SpoonSamba

HSC
i dont understand why Perfume is such a highly esteemed book, I got so bored like it was an interesting concept, which is why i read it but like there was nothing to it! and the guy used the word olfactory about 15 times a page

as for 1984
i loved it, it was brilliantly written but the books concept has now been appropriated and transformed in so many different ways that its not groundbreaking like it would have been at the time, so I understand why its not higher

and honestly I'm so sick of Austen

love memoirs of a geisha though and i dunno why the kite runners so high, its good but its not one of the best books of all time...

that bloke

HSC
Why would anyone expect better from a Top 100 list compiled by A+R and those typically buy their books from there?? That's like asking people who listen to Nova FM for their Top 100 Albums.

If you want truely good books aside from the standard classics such as Catcher in the Rye or 1984, go find an independent book store and look for authors like Haruki Murakami. Fuck me, did Irvine Welsh even get a placing in that Top 100 list??

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I was forced to read A Fortunate Life in year 8. Can't say that I particularly enjoyed it, but at the same time it wasn't anywhere near as mind numbing as Wild Swans.

As for the actual list, it's a bit hit and miss for me. Dan Brown and Harry Potter being on the list are proof that mediocre literature (and I use that term very loosely) makes for amazing sales.

harris-k

HSC
i just think its good becaus "dexter" by jeff lindsay is there. it is epic.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
lol at 'The Holy Bible' - #20 on the list, cant really believe that ppl would actually vote for it...

LordPc

HSC
Why would anyone expect better from a Top 100 list compiled by A+R and those typically buy their books from there?? That's like asking people who listen to Nova FM for their Top 100 Albums.

If you want truely good books aside from the standard classics such as Catcher in the Rye or 1984, go find an independent book store and look for authors like Haruki Murakami. Fuck me, did Irvine Welsh even get a placing in that Top 100 list??
just so you all know, the list is voted for by readers, its not made up by A&R. which is why you get things such as twilight and other absurb books appearing on there.

so you must realise that it is a list of "popular" books and not "good" books

and CinR? yuk, twas a painful series of weeks in year 11 english

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Riftwar saga at no. 9 nice!

Theres some good books in there, then theres some average ones that are far too high

for instance: "a child called It" was an ok book, but catch 22 is a much better piece of literature yet it is ranked lower.

brave new world, 1984, animal farm, all much too low and being outranked by trashy only-kinda-alright novels with no real grand message like in the aforementioned novels.

The lovely bones was alright too, but a bit simple, i mean i understood it pretty well while i was like 15 years old, now i tend to prefer more complex story arcs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)