Announcement from BOSTES/NESA - 2019 Syllabus Changes for Calculus courses (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
The easy marks or id and ed or both

I only do 3u math tho
i dont think it would be explicitly a question, but you need it in solving some vector geo q's. easy or not is up for debate depending on the q.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Be careful being too sure about some of these ideas.

Angle between two lines and ratio division were both removed but can restructured and asked as MX1 vectors questions. Lots of plane geometry from Advanced can also be changed in vectors questions.

Circle geometry was removed from MX1 but MX2 students still need some of it for some complex numbers questions. I think any MX2 teacher who does not teach the relevant circle geometry and instead tries to solve those questions by purely algebraic means is doing their students a major disservice.

MX1 locus and the parabola was removed as a stand-alone topic but parametric equations for degree 2 polynomials is still in the syllabus, so how much can still be asked in modified questions is unclear. Parametrics is essential to the vectorised projectile motion so finding a locus (without using that name) is still required at times. Since the MX2 conic sections are all degree 2 polynomials, the extent to which those ideas can be used in questions is unclear. Using focus-directrix properties and definitions is definitely out, so much of the old conics topic can be safely ignored.

With SHM now in MX2, there is the possibility of bringing in some forms of circular motion as SHM in two dimensions simultaneously can result in a variety of paths, including a circles.

I advise students to be very careful in declaring that certain things cannot be examined in the HSC. Books of past MX1 HSC papers marked questions on the binomial theorem as non-examinable but the large binomial question at the end of the 2020 MX1 paper proved that wrong. In short, anything in year 11 MX1 can be included in an MX1 HSC so long as it is within a question that addressed MX1 Year 12 work... and an examiner determined to test an aspect of Year 11 work will be able to find a context and link Year 12 work to justify asking a question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)