Another lame-ass idea by Nelson (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
So Nelson wants everyone (especially those darn muslims) to learn about Simpson and his donkey?

What drugs is Nelson smoking.... has he come up with any ideas that have been informed and/or rational and/or worth spending government money and time on in the past few months.

There are also a few problems with his theory- Simpson was a unionist.... he was also apparently an immigrant. Chris and Craig on Today Today (JJJ) are doing a good job of taking the piss out of this as we speak. Also, Simpson and donkey were a part of an army that was attacking Turkey, a predominantly Muslim country!

There was also a good interview on Hack yesterday with a young muslim delegate who was at Howards conference thingo and they asked her about the Simpson and the donkey thing.

More details here, I will find the other stories I read and post links to them later.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/08/24/1124562919503.html

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Dont we learn about that anyway? I know i did

jennylim

HSC
yeah simpson and the donkey is pretty damn st00pid, but i get his point. if you disagree with the way australians in general like to live, criticise the legal system, rant and rave about the degenerate morals and how it's totally wrong to wear singlet tops and how no girl should wear them and so on...clear out.

logically speaking, why stay in Australia if you dislike the country, the society, the people and the system so bitterly?

Riewe

HSC
I guess that Simpson is really looked at as an example for what is an Australian, much like the rest of the diggers. But i thought this was already in the syllabus (WWI at least), because i remember in my early years of high school learning about this, so probably they should technically be doing it already.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Simpson and his donkey as well all know was an example of Australian historians being nationalistic by talking up bravery in order to create nationalism.
"certain" historians thanks mate :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha, i can name a few revisionists and post-modernist historians not hired by the government who'd dispute that claim :p

But yes, it was due to 'need' to form a sense of nationhood, although funnily enough, the most significant emblem of the Australian male, the bronzed golden locks beach aussie, was one from the Irish-Australian's dominance and excelling in sports and a rival stereotype to the English-Australians.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
His diaries also reveal that he was very aware of what history was needed on the home front....

There was a very good extension history essay on this a couple of years ago, even won the History Teachers Association prize.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
The Claim about CEW Bean was made by him. He says in his diary that he changed locations and had trouble reading his notes made on the frontline.
Notice " :p " and the "post-modern" and "revisionist"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)