• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another one bites the dust...... (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
New VC to push up HECS charges
Bernard Lane
September 06, 2006
MACQUARIE University will increase HECS fees by 25 per cent next year, leaving the University of Tasmania as the last institution not to take advantage of a partial deregulation of fees.

Macquarie vice-chancellor Steven Schwartz said about 20per cent of the extra money would fund $1 million to $2million in new scholarships for needy students, especially those keen on science, maths or technology.

UTAS said if its healthy finances deteriorated it would push up HECS fees, but imposing this extra burden on students would be "a last resort", according to Paul Barnett, executive director of planning and development.

Professor Schwartz's predecessor at Macquarie, Di Yerbury, had resisted a HECS increase, saying the university was "very conscious at the moment that there's a big burden on students".

But Professor Schwartz said the decision not to lift fees was in effect a "poorly targeted discount" since affluent students, as well as the needy, stood to benefit, and the benefit would not arrive until graduates earned enough to begin paying off their HECS debt.

"For many people, they need the money right now, they need the bursaries and scholarship help to go to university at the moment," he said.

More fee income also would help Macquarie fund 40 new research positions advertised as part of a campaign to make the university more research intensive. Three of the nine fields in which Macquarie is seeking new staff could be classified as humanities and social sciences.

Professor Schwartz said Macquarie had not set out to emphasise science and technology but to identify fields "where we were already strong and could make a reputation for ourselves".

He said 40 staff was "a very large number of people to be looking for all at once", although he understood the campaign, run in July in the HES, had generated "quite a good response".

"I thought perhaps we wouldn't be filling any of those positions until January but now it seems as if we may be filling some this year," he said.

Macquarie also announced that Elizabeth More's portfolio as deputy vice-chancellor would change from administration to development and external relations. Last year, not long before her retirement, Professor Yerbury said Professor Schwartz had asked her to take up a new position as Macquarie's "international ambassador". She agreed at the time this was an unusual position for a former vice-chancellor to occupy.

Yesterday, Professor Schwartz confirmed Professor More would take charge of "all external affairs". Asked to clarify whether this meant Professor Yerbury ceased to be international ambassador, he said: "I am afraid that there is nothing clear about that situation."

Professor Yerbury could not be contacted for comment.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20360283-12332,00.html

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm oh well, it was only a matter of time

Kegs

HSC
Isnt the HECS increase only for the new students, or have I been misled once again?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I think it's only for new students, hence the pre-2005 and from 2005 hecs forms

X

xeuyrawp

Ouch, 25 percent.

Then again, I do prefer that they increase HECS rather than cut scholarships.

X

xeuyrawp

I will also add that Macquarie is hugely advertising for research. 5 positions for Ancient History research positions!

*hopes that we will get someone who will teach Hieratic*

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*hopes he'll get someone to teach him about Videogames*

Kegs

HSC
Does this mean when I transfer degrees next year, I will have to pay the new fees? Cause that is shit. Can I stay in my bullocks degree for as long as possible, then move across to my other degree in my last year?

burkeyyy

HSC
Kegs said:
Does this mean when I transfer degrees next year, I will have to pay the new fees? Cause that is shit. Can I stay in my bullocks degree for as long as possible, then move across to my other degree in my last year?
ohh shit, I didn't even think of that. anyone know the answer??

X

xeuyrawp

burkeyyy said:
ohh shit, I didn't even think of that. anyone know the answer??
I highly, highly doubt anyone knows. We really need someone like skittled, who was working in SES.

I would also like to know, because of issues that may arrise when I go over the HECS years-of-study limit. I don't want to be in my final semester of grad law, realising that I have to pay full-fee final-year law fees. :S

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Pwaryuex said:
I would also like to know, because of issues that may arrise when I go over the HECS years-of-study limit. I don't want to be in my final semester of grad law, realising that I have to pay full-fee final-year law fees. :S
www.goingtouni.gov.au said:
2.10. What happens if I'm part way through my course and my Student Learning Entitlement runs out?
If you run out of Student Learning Entitlement part way through your course of study, you will no longer be Commonwealth supported for any remaining units. Your higher education provider may (but is not required to) offer you a fee-paying place in your course. If you enrol as a fee-paying student, you will be required to pay tuition fees. You may be entitled to a FEE-HELP loan for your tuition fees. For more information on fee-paying places and FEE-HELP, get a copy of the FEE-HELP information booklet from your provider or the Going to Uni website at www.goingtouni.gov.au.
Kegs said:
Does this mean when I transfer degrees next year, I will have to pay the new fees? Cause that is shit.
Well I don't see how since you're an 03er, you would've started before the unis were permitted to raise it by 25% so probably you'd get the old HECS rates even if you transferred.

www.goingtouni.gov.au said:
3.2. How much do I contribute?
Your higher education provider determines the amount you contribute for each unit of study, within ranges the Australian Government sets. The range that applies to a unit is dependent on the student contribution band in which the unit is classified.

The amount of your student contribution will also depend on the weight of the unit within your course of study (the equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) value of the unit). Your provider will be able to advise you of the EFTSL value of the units in which you are enrolled.

There are also different ranges, depending on when you began your course of study. If you are a pre-2005 HECS student (Appendix B), the maximum amount your provider can charge you is no more than what the HECS rate would have been for you in 2006 if HECS had not changed.

Kegs

HSC
kami said:
Well I don't see how since you're an 03er, you would've started before the unis were permitted to raise it by 25% so probably you'd get the old HECS rates even if you transferred.
Yeah, I wasnt sure how it worked, because I deferred. That sight you quoted was really good. Thanks for the info. It seems that even if I change degrees as a pre-2005 HECS payer, I would still pay the old HECS rates, not the ones for the year I transfered in.

Makes sense since I met a woman 2 months ago who is finishing a degree sh started in 1996 or something like that, and her HECS was so cheap cause it was the 1997 rate. It was like $1000 for one semester, at least that is what I was told.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
waaaaittt... will only undergrad degree fees be rising?

The Historian

HSC
if you started a law degree in 1996 - all up it would have cost about $3000
whereas i started in 2000 and it cost $30,000

add $700 for indexation this year - yippee!

:mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)