• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

Another shot at WorkChoices in HSC Economics exam (1 Viewer)

Jerruy

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
297
Gender
Female
HSC
2013
Question 27.

Explain how Australia's labour market policies have affected work practices and emploument.
 

williamc

Active Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,400
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
I fucking hate all this left wing propaganda.. we need a fucking de-centralised wage determination system.. i think the government should be able to censor this left wing loonie questions.
 

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
116
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
williamc said:
I fucking hate all this left wing propaganda.. we need a fucking de-centralised wage determination system.. i think the government should be able to censor this left wing loonie questions.
agreed.

That's what, four-ish subjects they've had it in now?

Sure WorkChoices is a big thing .. but it shouldn't be tested when people can lose marks if they show any opinion either way! That is .. Except for Eco .. because you're told from day 1 to remain unbiased and give both sides of the arguement.
 

williamc

Active Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,400
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
I choose not to do that question.. coz i knew i would be biased.. And the markers would get the feeling... This guy is a right wing extremist.. why dont u just go and suck JH's cock..

I would given the chance though..
 

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
116
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
williamc said:
I choose not to do that question.. coz i knew i would be biased.. And the markers would get the feeling... This guy is a right wing extremist.. why dont u just go and suck JH's cock..

I would given the chance though..
Haha! If I were in any other exam except for Economics .. I would've been ridiculously biased! But if I did it in Eco, with my luck I'd get a Greenie and a Labor voter marking my essay and they'd be like 'Pft giver her 0 .. I don't agree with any of this'.

I was sitting next to a guy in my exam .. he loves Kevin Rudd .. like I reckon he'd seriously turn bi or something and marry him .. and I sat there watching him try and write without being biased .. the faces he was pulling were so amusing!

I did it, but only because I'd done an assessment on Labour Market Policy and unemployment just after trials, so I basically regurgitated that! Was good :)
 

Bonarius

New Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2006
Messages
7
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Maaaaaaaaaate cmon its not that hard to write an unbiased essay. Thats what the syllabus is for. Advantages and Disadvantages of each system and all you had to do was practically outline the changing work practices. ITs not that hard.
 

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
116
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Bonarius said:
Maaaaaaaaaate cmon its not that hard to write an unbiased essay. Thats what the syllabus is for. Advantages and Disadvantages of each system and all you had to do was practically outline the changing work practices. ITs not that hard.
I know it's not hard. I wrote a completely unbiased essay. But when you have strong opinions about something, such as politics .. it can be hard. I can see why it could be hard to.
 

williamc

Active Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,400
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Bonarius said:
Maaaaaaaaaate cmon its not that hard to write an unbiased essay. Thats what the syllabus is for. Advantages and Disadvantages of each system and all you had to do was practically outline the changing work practices. ITs not that hard.
Lol i know its not hard, i could have written about it, my post was aimed at being comedic.

/there is no fucking advantages of a centralised wage determination system are u fucked kidding me.. fuck off u commie..

The globalisation question was a gift anyway, so i choose that.

bringbackshred said:
Apparently he's hung like a rogue elephant.
thats what janette told me.
 
Last edited:

redom

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
139
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
arghh it gets really annoying!...just looking at the question pissed me off!...ive hated learning about industrial relations since business!...thankgod the other one was more interesting!
 

pc4pc

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
74
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
i chose this question mainly because my teacher said that globalisation has been overdone in the past and there was a less of a chance that it'd come up as an essay again this year >_>

my structure:
intro: define labour market, mention shift from centralised to decentralised
pre-body: steps australia has taken to decentralised wage fixing & types of agreements under workchoices
body: adv n disadv of each system and their impacts upon work practices & employment
 

Mevelyn2551

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Are you suggesting that Labour Markets should be excluded from assesment just bacuase people have strong opinions about it?

When the HSC exam writers emerge from their coffins every year, they don't exactly convene around John Howard effegies when they plan the extended response questions. They expect a balanced evaluation. For instance, I'm the opposite to you- the die-hard Labor guy. But that doesn't mean that I can't outline the arguements that the other guys keep throwing at me.

Economics teachers (unless you are really unfortunate anyway) generally tend to be open-minded when it comes to marking. I mean, look at the question -

Work Practices is where you throw in all the pro-Labor propaganda
Unemployment is where you thow in all the pro-Government propaganda.
 

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
116
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
village-idoit36 said:
Are you suggesting that Labour Markets should be excluded from assesment just bacuase people have strong opinions about it?

When the HSC exam writers emerge from their coffins every year, they don't exactly convene around John Howard effegies when they plan the extended response questions. They expect a balanced evaluation. For instance, I'm the opposite to you- the die-hard Labor guy. But that doesn't mean that I can't outline the arguements that the other guys keep throwing at me.

Economics teachers (unless you are really unfortunate anyway) generally tend to be open-minded when it comes to marking. I mean, look at the question -

Work Practices is where you throw in all the pro-Labor propaganda
Unemployment is where you thow in all the pro-Government propaganda.
No I think they should be included. It's in the syllabus after all, we learn about, do assessments on it .. but I can see how people can find it hard to be unbiased, that's all.

There could also be an opposing arguement to both:

Work Practices- could be pro-Labor propaganda, but you could also talk about how it's encouraged productivity increases through motivating employees to become more productive in order to improve their wages and conditions when negotiating new agreements.
Unemployment- could be the pro-Government propaganda, but you could also throw in the Labor arguement that WorkChoices loosens unfair dismissal laws and gives employers more scope to dismiss employees (resulting in greater unemployment).
 

Mevelyn2551

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Sh4DoW said:
No I think they should be included. It's in the syllabus after all, we learn about, do assessments on it .. but I can see how people can find it hard to be unbiased, that's all.

There could also be an opposing arguement to both:

Work Practices- could be pro-Labor propaganda, but you could also talk about how it's encouraged productivity increases through motivating employees to become more productive in order to improve their wages and conditions when negotiating new agreements.
Unemployment- could be the pro-Government propaganda, but you could also throw in the Labor arguement that WorkChoices loosens unfair dismissal laws and gives employers more scope to dismiss employees (resulting in greater unemployment).
Fair enough. As long as we managed to stay balanced though, I rekon the markers will will be fair.
 

gnrlies

Member
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
789
Gender
Male
HSC
2003
Jerruy said:
Question 27.

Explain how Australia's labour market policies have affected work practices and emploument.
I hate to say it, but you are all wrong....

There is nothing even remotely about this question that is biased.

you are not asked to write an essay about why workchoices is bad. That is biased. There is plenty of scope to write both good and bad aspects of workchoices. You could say unemployment has fallen which is no doubt a very positive thing about workchoices. You could also say that it is bad because it has removed collective bargaining principles in some cases.

Youve got to give both. Nothing biased about it. You can probably afford an opinion on the matter, but your opinion is worth nothing unless you can construct an arguement that supports it.
 

williamc

Active Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,400
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
(lol we know we would have to state the pros and cons, its not hard.)

WTF workchoices has NO cons at all.

-Business' can produce goods cheaper with lower wages
-Lower prices of goods means employee's arnt being ripped off with lower wages, and can still buy what they want.
-Inflation will be kept at a more low and stable rate.
-Business' can become more internationally competitive.
-Business' will be forced to innovate their products to remain competitive, thus benefits consumers.
-Lower levels of unemployment. At 4.3% (sep 07), which is 32 year low.
-In the long term the efficent sectors of our economy will become major employers and further extend our current 16 year boom(JH FTW)!. IMO aiming to rid manufaturing sector.
-HIGHER LIVING STANDARDS.

Aslong as you got some qualifications, or are interested for a job in high demand, your all sweet. Workchoices provides incentives for people to get higher qualifications which can only benfit our economy. SCREW THE BUMS.

Then some would say people have to work harder and longer for less.. HOW IS THAT BAD! Goods will be cheaper theerfore even lower peoples income levels will be lower, their MPC will proally stay relative.

Also, some say it induces income inequality. HOW IS THAT BAD! Why shouldn't someone with superior skills earn a superior income? It is only going to encourage the lower skilled workers to further skill themselves. This is going to further decrease the rate of unemployment:

-an economics student should know that once the natural rate of unemployment has been reached (as the case in aus, well close to) any macroeconomic measures to inject (AD) more money into the economy through macroeconomic measures will prove futile and only cause inflationary pressure. The Howard government in the last budget cut taxes, this will NOT lower the unemployment rate and how only increased inflationary expectations. It is hard to critise the Howard government however, as they are playing the 3 year 'political cycle'. The only way to lower unemployment once the natural rate has been reached is through education and training. AND THIS IS WHAT WORKCHOICES ENCOURAGES.

"Abolished sick leave is unfair......But trillions of dollars debt for our children is just bullshit"
 
Last edited:

Mevelyn2551

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
williamc said:
(lol we know we would have to state the pros and cons, its not hard.)

WTF workchoices has NO cons at all.

-Business' can produce goods cheaper with lower wages
-Lower prices of goods means employee's arnt being ripped off with lower wages, and can still buy what they want.
-Inflation will be kept at a more low and stable rate.
-Business' can become more internationally competitive.
-Business' will be forced to innovate their products to remain competitive, thus benefits consumers.
-Lower levels of unemployment. At 4.3% (sep 07), which is 32 year low.
-In the long term the efficent sectors of our economy will become major employers and further extend our current 16 year boom(JH FTW)!. IMO aiming to rid manufaturing sector.
-HIGHER LIVING STANDARDS.

Aslong as you got some qualifications, or are interested for a job in high demand, your all sweet. Workchoices provides incentives for people to get higher qualifications which can only benfit our economy. SCREW THE BUMS.

Then some would say people have to work harder and longer for less.. HOW IS THAT BAD! Goods will be cheaper theerfore even lower peoples income levels will be lower, their MPC will proally stay relative.

Also, some say it induces income inequality. HOW IS THAT BAD! Why shouldn't someone with superior skills earn a superior income? It is only going to encourage the lower skilled workers to further skill themselves. This is going to further decrease the rate of unemployment:

-an economics student should know that once the natural rate of unemployment has been reached (as the case in aus, well close to) any macroeconomic measures to inject (AD) more money into the economy through macroeconomic measures will prove futile and only cause inflationary pressure. The Howard government in the last budget cut taxes, this will NOT lower the unemployment rate and how only increased inflationary expectations. It is hard to critise the Howard government however, as they are playing the 3 year 'political cycle'. The only way to lower unemployment once the natural rate has been reached is through education and training. AND THIS IS WHAT WORKCHOICES ENCOURAGES.

"Abolished sick leave is unfair......But trillions of dollars debt for our children is just bullshit"
Well, all I can say is it is good for you that you did the other option. I mean, someone who obviously has their head so far up their own arse to the extent that they refuse to admit that there are any arguements that oppose them would be better off doing a nice safe globalisation case study.

Honestly, I (Mr harcore Labor man) can admit that there are some economic benefeits to workchoices. After all, slavery was the most cheap and efficient of all workplace systems (and before you say it, I am not comparing Workchoices to slavery).

Honestly - surely you have to admit that the whole reason workchoice helps the economy is because it erodes the rights of the employees.

Eroding the rights of employees classifies as a "con".
 

williamc

Active Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,400
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
village-idoit36 said:
Well, all I can say is it is good for you that you did the other option. I mean, someone who obviously has their head so far up their own arse to the extent that they refuse to admit that there are any arguements that oppose them would be better off doing a nice safe globalisation case study.

Honestly, I (Mr harcore Labor man) can admit that there are some economic benefeits to workchoices. After all, slavery was the most cheap and efficient of all workplace systems (and before you say it, I am not comparing Workchoices to slavery).

Honestly - surely you have to admit that the whole reason workchoice helps the economy is because it erodes the rights of the employees.

Eroding the rights of employees classifies as a "con".
1) i could have got 20 doing either question ..
2) You're alluding to the fact that workchoices is slavery, it is no where near it.
3) If you understand anything about economics you will come to realise "the freer the market, the freer the people". The fulls effects of workchoices will not be seen now, but in another couple decades. Most microeconomic policies will have short term "costs" and longer term benefits.
4) WHO GIVES A FUCK IF IT ERODES BOGANS RIGHTS!


Workchoices isn't even completely de-centralised anyway. The 'non-market' forces should be fucked off, and everything should be up for grabs. I don't even believe there should be a minimum wage or award.

kgovotegreenies
 

natt256

New Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
2
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Williamc, you my friend are a wanker...
I don't doubt for a second that you’re as good at economics as you say you are (which you repeatedly allude to in these forums)
Im sure you'll get very very rich, live a prosperous life blah blah blah wank.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that your head is stuck up your arse and you obviously have no concept of the real world & real issues.
So enjoy the capitalist life you'll lead, because you sure as hell won’t ever experience life, nor will you ever develop a social conscious because you’re obviously an unintuitive apathetic person.

And for the record, I don’t believe in a fully centralised wage system, but I believe workchoices is not in the best interest for this country as the negative social repercussions outweigh the economic gain.

Ill offer some advice, which im sure you won’t take, but what the hell!...Get over yourself, get over the hsc, maybe even go travel? Broaden your horizons... try your very hardest to understand how the world works... because until you do your opinion means nothing to me... nor should it to anyone else because you know nothing..

p.s maybe your inability to fully comprehend economics and the real impacts of policies will mean you wont go as well as you believe? Such a shame..
 

williamc

Active Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,400
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
natt256 said:
Williamc, you my friend are a wanker...
I don't doubt for a second that you’re as good at economics as you say you are (which you repeatedly allude to in these forums)
Im sure you'll get very very rich, live a prosperous life blah blah blah wank.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that your head is stuck up your arse and you obviously have no concept of the real world & real issues.
So enjoy the capitalist life you'll lead, because you sure as hell won’t ever experience life, nor will you ever develop a social conscious because you’re obviously an unintuitive apathetic person.

And for the record, I don’t believe in a fully centralised wage system, but I believe workchoices is not in the best interest for this country as the negative social repercussions outweigh the economic gain.

Ill offer some advice, which im sure you won’t take, but what the hell!...Get over yourself, get over the hsc, maybe even go travel? Broaden your horizons... try your very hardest to understand how the world works... because until you do your opinion means nothing to me... nor should it to anyone else because you know nothing..

p.s maybe your inability to fully comprehend economics and the real impacts of policies will mean you wont go as well as you believe? Such a shame..

Of course in economic policy making soceital impacts must be assessed. Obiviously Costello, JH and his advisers have more of an idea about how things work than you. The funny thing is australians are as happy as they have ever been(australia ranking 7th?), people are earning more, more people are employed. why the fuck would we want to go backwards?

Anyways in response to your personal insults; YOU'RE A FUCKING CHICK, you don't belong in the economic world.
 

natt256

New Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
2
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
williamc said:
Of course in economic policy making soceital impacts must be assessed. Obiviously Costello, JH and his advisers have more of an idea about how things work than you. The funny thing is australians are as happy as they have ever been(australia ranking 7th?), people are earning more, more people are employed. why the fuck would we want to go backwards?

Anyways in response to your personal insults; YOU'RE A FUCKING CHICK, you don't belong in the economic world.


Ok, so I should be the bigger man in this situation (which I’m sure wouldn’t be terribly hard) and ignore that last comment… but the feminist in me is irritated and quite frankly perplexed and disappointed that people like you still exist in contemporary society. So GO TO HELL YOU CHAUVINISTIC NEANDERTHAL!

Australians being happy has NOTHING to do with Workchoices you idiot… only 5% of Australian workers are on awards whilst around 25% are on enterprise agreements (which you may need to be reminded was implemented by a Labor government..)
….I highly doubt the 5% of workers on AWA’s has significantly boosted our ‘happiness rating’

And you talk about going backwards? Well that’s where your headed honey… You can go and join your mate Johnny H back in the 1950’s where you belong…

Also, please come back and tell me I don’t belong in the economics world when I beat you in the HSC and probably continue to beat you throughout economics at university… see I can toot my own horn too.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top