Another UAI q (UNSW) (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Anyone have/know where to get information on the distribution of the UAIs of the people accepted into the medicine course?
Also, anyone have/know where to get figures of rejection rates for people with UAI's of say 99.0, 99.1, ... 99.7, 99.8 and 99.9?
Thanks.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmm well i know someone who got 99.90 and didnt get into medicine in any nsw uni :eek: so umat + interview must be very important (sorry if im stating the obvious :p i have no idea bout this stuff)

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Purp|e said:
hmm well i know someone who got 99.90 and didnt get into medicine anywhere :eek: so umat + interview must be very important (sorry if im stating the obvious :p i have no idea bout this stuff)
hmm I know someone who got 99.9 and also missed out

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i think the distribuions for 2003 were posted somewhere on this board. Have a look you'll probably find it somewhere.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
inasero: I can't seem to find the page you're referring to- and if you were talking of the FAQ, then as Bob said, it doesn't apply to admissions, only interviews.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Do the schools publish admissions statistics? I thought that information wasn't disclosed...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
adel did.. lik where ppl were from etc..

got the shit critisiaed bout it

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
um UWA site www.meddent.uwa.edu.au said they'd post up admissions statistics last year, or the year before. Hasn't been updated since then. So it's probably confidential, or they're just too lazy to bother

jang

is not my real name
HSC
i kno 2 people who didnt get into med at unsw with 99.75 and 99.85...(obvioulsy they're devastated)
sometimes i feel the system is vulnerable to cunning people who r up themselves with debating and drama skills (without too much passion for medicine) that may kill it at the interview... then again, i don't know who these universities are lookin for .. and wat is a good doctor...

Keen

MD
HSC
jang said:
i kno 2 people who didnt get into med at unsw with 99.75 and 99.85...(obvioulsy they're devastated)
sometimes i feel the system is vulnerable to cunning people who r up themselves with debating and drama skills (without too much passion for medicine) that may kill it at the interview... then again, i don't know who these universities are lookin for .. and wat is a good doctor...
I don't know, not meaning to offend anyone or anything. But I believe that if you want to do medicine and be successful at it you should have a strong interest in the sciences (an interest in learning new things and how things around us work) if you truly have these then an interest in subjects such as phsics, chem, biology would seem appropriate. So if you took humanities then I'm a bit surprised (sure there are reasons but generally you probably should have taken science subjects). But I don't think the unis really care as long as you have the prerequisites (which are usually English and Chem)

Keen

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Couldn't find any of the stuff referred to above but not to worry, worked out estimations and stuff and I guess it's a little clearer...

jang: intelligence and the ability to articulate that intelligence are both worth 1/3 at UNSW, so what's the problem?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
no...not the ability to articulate your intelligence (thats what the UAI is for), but to articulate your motivations and personal characteristics.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Fair enough... still shows that it's fair to have interview worth so much as long as the UAI counts...

Another q tho... anyone know how many total offers UNSW gave (CSP)?
I know how many places there are, but given there are 500 people who are interviewed, I'm curious as to what position you need to be to be offered a place...

georgia86

Keen said:
I don't know, not meaning to offend anyone or anything. But I believe that if you want to do medicine and be successful at it you should have a strong interest in the sciences (an interest in learning new things and how things around us work) if you truly have these then an interest in subjects such as phsics, chem, biology would seem appropriate. So if you took humanities then I'm a bit surprised (sure there are reasons but generally you probably should have taken science subjects). But I don't think the unis really care as long as you have the prerequisites (which are usually English and Chem)

Keen
hey keen,
don't worry i'm not really offended i just wanted to stick up for those people who get into med and are into humanities. I am clearly one of these people, having done 4 unit eng, 3 unit germ, chem, and 2 unit maths. I love science and have always had a strong interest in the human body and disease but am also strongest at english etc. I feel like i wouldn't have gotten into med in the olden days where it was purely uai based but i think that the system has changed for the better. I guess I just feel a bit threatened by the vast majority of people who assumed that i had no chance of getting into med because i wasn't an absolute science whizz.

Although it is true that you must have some interest in science to study med (which is clearly a science) it is most important that you are a skilled communicator, as in most cases in medicine you deal with patients every day. Proficiency in english and other humanities is a good indicator of your ability clearly articulate your ideas and communicate.

While it is possible to improve your scientific ability through study and perserverence (this is my experience anyway...) it is (arguably) genuinely hard to improve your comminication skills, which are hard to simply 'learn'. I think that even though (as jang said) people who are better communicators are at an advantage in the interview, the interviewers are smart enough to discriminate between those who are bullshit artists and those who are totally committed to studying med - regardless of communication skills.

The system is designed to avoid people getting into med who may be geniuses at science and get freakish uais, but are robots and freak patients out. Or, people who are just doing med because they have high enough marks. So although it may discriminate and is often unfair, it is the only way to prevent this from happenning.

Thanks for letting me have my possibly irrelevant and long-winded rant.

Good night to you all :)

p.s i think unsw offers about 140 unbonded csp places?? i am probably wrong tho....

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
140 unbonded places sounds about right... i'm pretty sure i read that in a pamphlet last year, but on the other hand, the govt isn't likely to have funded many new ones between then and now. i think there are about another 40 bonded places, combination of rural and workforce shortage onces.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
don't mean places (which is 142), but I mean offers...
because many people reject them...

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Estel said:
don't mean places (which is 142), but I mean offers...
because many people reject them...
Really? I thought most people would accept theirs, the point of the interviews being to weed out those who don't *want* to do med (in a relative sense anyway, if that makes sense). Although, there would be people who changed their mind after finalising prefs.. who knows.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
mervvyn said:
Really? I thought most people would accept theirs, the point of the interviews being to weed out those who don't *want* to do med (in a relative sense anyway, if that makes sense). Although, there would be people who changed their mind after finalising prefs.. who knows.
i think the main reason was that so many people from interstate get a UNSW offer as well as an offer in their home state, or somewhere closer to where they live and thus they reject the unsw offer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)