another unsw vs uts thread. (1 Viewer)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i'm tossing up between a transfer to either eco/arts at unsw or business/int'l studies at uts - technically i'm at unsw [currently deferred] and am consequently more familiar with that program structure, but i've been reading that business at uts is pretty good too in terms of reputation and practicality/graduate employability. that said, other than what i've read on bos and in the respective handbooks, i know next to nothing about uts and would appreciate any views/opinions etc.

in terms of what i want to study, i'm particularly interested in development/social advocacy. however, i believe that a solid knowledge of how businesses and the economy actually work would be a marvellously practical complement.

thanks in advance

Fresh_Shibby

HSC
It doesn't particularly matter what uni you go to out of UTS and UNSW. Marks are much more important to employers. If you are interested in quality of education, I can't comment on UTS, but I find that Economics at UNSW is pretty thorough and interesting, and gives you alot of choice of speciality i.e. Econometrics, market optimisation and choice, general economics and growth etc.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
UTS is a much, much easier uni, but some elite employers (i.e. IB's) may overlook you unless your CV is astounding

HSC
i have spoken/know recruiters at banks, they don't care about your uni ONLY marks. macquarie bank (an elite ib had uws, unsw, uts, usyd etc. grads at the careers expo and they told me pretty much that what gets you in the first round of interviews (ie. hardest to break) is marks, of course everything beyond that is personality, extra ciricullar etc

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
i have spoken/know recruiters at banks, they don't care about your uni ONLY marks. macquarie bank (an elite ib had uws, unsw, uts, usyd etc. grads at the careers expo and they told me pretty much that what gets you in the first round of interviews (ie. hardest to break) is marks, of course everything beyond that is personality, extra ciricullar etc
Nah.. most of the banks don't even host recruitment/info sessions at anything but UNSW/USYD or Macq. That's a pretty fair indication of their preferences.

Macquarie are known to interview relatively higher volumes for first-round interviews because they cull lots of people using a 1-1 interview with a HR consultant (unlike some of the other banks who invest more up-front time with actual bank staff). The likes of Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, etc are known to be relatively tougher in offering interviews.

There's always exceptions, i.e. if you have awesome/highly relevant work experience you'll be rated highly regardless of your uni. All other things being equal however you'd probably want to stick to the three I've mentioned.

Last edited:
HSC
i can still tell you that a 55 WAM UNSW will not get a job over D/HD average UWS student as ive seen first hand myself rejected and those UWS recruited.

bottom line is this, wherever you go get top marks to get a good grad job. i gotta do a masters and smash that if i want a good grad job

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
i can still tell you that a 55 WAM UNSW will not get a job over D/HD average UWS student as ive seen first hand myself rejected and those UWS recruited.

bottom line is this, wherever you go get top marks to get a good grad job. i gotta do a masters and smash that if i want a good grad job

Of course not, that's because banks generally require a D-average for them to even look at your application. Your rejection had nothing to do with your uni, it was because you got 55 which would preclude you from *most* employers let alone investment banks.

But even still your example is invalid because my point was based on 'all other things equal'.

When I worked in the Big4 UTS had a pretty healthy representation there, but my experience with banks is that they're mostly restricted to the back office with a few exceptions. I'm not pointing this out out of arrogance but because when I was in highschool these forums provided me with a lot of useful information, which turned out to be true, the comparative strengths of unviersities being one of those things.

Last edited:
HSC
Of course not, that's because banks generally require a D-average for them to even look at your application. Your rejection had nothing to do with your uni, it was because you got 55 which would preclude you from *most* employers let alone investment banks.

But even still your example is invalid because my point was based on 'all other things equal'.

When I worked in the Big4 UTS had a pretty healthy representation there, but my experience with banks is that they're mostly restricted to the back office with a few exceptions. I'm not pointing this out out of arrogance but because when I was in highschool these forums provided me with a lot of useful information, which turned out to be true, the comparative strengths of unviersities being one of those things.
ahuh D average in SOME divisions like corporate banking, less competitive ones a credit is fine and plenty of my friends got into top 4 with credit average into not so glorious divisions like auditing. and marks is purely only for them to look at your app after that its you that matters

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
ahuh D average in SOME divisions like corporate banking, less competitive ones a credit is fine and plenty of my friends got into top 4 with credit average into not so glorious divisions like auditing. and marks is purely only for them to look at your app after that its you that matters
That's not what we were talking about but sure ok.

Affinity

HSC
what "you" here refers to:

University
Marks
Any other Qualifications
Intern experience
Extracurriculars
Your impression at the interview.

So marks are still a major factor here as it is probably the best availalble measure of performance in your most recent main occupation. But the universities reputation would affect the value of the marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)