Answers To Difficult Questions (1 Viewer)

ravdawg

HSC
Sorry cookie, that was an ANALYSIS of an equilibrium.

A model wouldve been something more like this:
Get two one hudred ml test tubes, one filled the ohter empty
get two pipettes, 1 10ml the other 20 ml
transfer water from full test tube with 20ml and back with 10ml
repeat until no change is seen

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
meh see wht happens

teacher said it was the answer she would have used

we did model it, we placed the gas in a gas jar and carried it out in a fume cupboard. Showed visually how le chatelliers principle works- the system was in equilbrium

so im not sure, i still reckon i will get marks

Armenikum

HSC
For anyone asking about the industrial section and the modelling of an equilibrium reaction, I used black and white and striped beads....if any of you have DOT POINT, they use that experiment as an example....quite easy to remember actually.

ravdawg

HSC
Cookie182 said:
meh see wht happens

teacher said it was the answer she would have used

we did model it, we placed the gas in a gas jar and carried it out in a fume cupboard. Showed visually how le chatelliers principle works- the system was in equilbrium

so im not sure, i still reckon i will get marks
HOpe u do, but imho because its an actual equilibrium, it isnt a model...

Armenikum

HSC
ravdawg said:
Sorry cookie, that was an ANALYSIS of an equilibrium.

A model wouldve been something more like this:
Get two one hudred ml test tubes, one filled the ohter empty
get two pipettes, 1 10ml the other 20 ml
transfer water from full test tube with 20ml and back with 10ml
repeat until no change is seen
Yes, that too.

I think the keyword to look at for would have been MODELLING the equilibrium reaction - not actually doing it.

joshuaali

HSC
How's this?
Code:
1. A
2. D
3. B
4. C
5. D
6. C
7. D
8. C
9. A
10.C
11.B
12.A
13.A
14.D
15.B
1. Ethanol is renewable.

2. Glucose undergoes condensation polymerisation to form cellulose whilst producing a small by-product often water.

3. Electrons travel through the external wire from the anode to the cathode. Salt bridge is for migration of positive ions.

4. A saturated 7-carbon chain (heptan-). Since the OH is closest to the right, counting from the right, we get 3.

5. From the standard electrode potentials table, Mg and Pb gives the highest difference in voltage.

6. Phenolphthalein turns pink in basic solutions. Only NaOH is basic from the given list.
7. Neutralisation is exothermic, thus ΔH must be negative. D is the only graph where ΔH is negative.

8. Since they are both weak, neither has completely ionised. X is stronger than Y, making X more ionised than Y, thus X has the lower pH.

9. Sodium citrate is the salt from a strong base and weak acid, thus making it slightly basic (i.e. pH > 7). Besides, sodium chloride is neutral and ammonium salts are slightly acidic, ruling the other 3 out.

10. I won't go through the calculations here, but if you add 810 mL and since the initial volume was 90 mL, the total volume would be 900 mL, thus making the final solution more dilute by a factor of 10 (and since pH = -log10[H+]...)

11. Mg and Ca ions contribute to water hardness.

12. Water is always produced in the combustion of fossil fuels. Soot is only produced in incomplete combustion. When burning pure hydrocarbons, sulfur dioxide won't be produced. In extreme cases of incomplete combustion, carbon dioxide won't be produced at all.

13. Since ΔH is negative, heat is released when the reaction proceeds to the right, and vice versa (i.e. heat is absorbed when the reaction proceeds to the left). A decrease in pressure will cause the reaction to proceed to the left since there are 4 moles of gases on the left whilst only 2 moles on the right, thus resulting in the absorption of heat.

14. AAS is highly accurate, so it is used for quantitative analysis. Electrons falling to their ground state emit a photon (i.e. light). This is Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (not Emission). A lamp emitting only the wavelengths of light absorbed by a particular element is used, not 'continuous' white light. To detect a metal ion, say, mercury, a mercury lamp is used, which basically excites (by heating) the electrons in mercury atoms, causing them to enter a higher energy state. When they fall back to their ground state, they emit a photon. This is the same principle as that in a flame test.

15. From the two equations given, •Cl is present at the start and •Cl is present at the end - in the same state/condition. Thus, it would be best classified as a catalyst.

Hope that helps. Multiple choice was easy. The other parts were... ok. For anybody that's interested, I made up my scientist.

Where are all the people that did Shipwrecks?

Last edited:

joshuajspence

HSC
Armenikum said:
Yes, that too.

I think the keyword to look at for would have been MODELLING the equilibrium reaction - not actually doing it.
i was very confused... i assumed it meant model not experiment... BUT, what risks are involved with a model?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I'm a Shipwrecker.
I think I chose the wrong prac for the last one.
I said we placed nails in different solutions of 0.1 mol L-1 HCl, NaOH, distilled water, salt water and Na2Cr2O7

Armenikum

HSC
joshuajspence said:
i was very confused... i assumed it meant model not experiment... BUT, what risks are involved with a model?
When you paint the beads with stripes you can get harmful paint on your skin, so wash with copious amounts of water - also, some paints may contain lead in it, which is toxic by all routes of exposure.

sunsuxin

HSC
hey guys... do u think i can still get mark if i didnt change the conc of Cl back to ppm??
i get everything correct but i hv it in mol/L ><

Armenikum

HSC
sunsuxin said:
hey guys... do u think i can still get mark if i didnt change the conc of Cl back to ppm??
Join the club :)

Armenikum

HSC
sunsuxin said:
Join the club :)

Of course we will get marks. I will at least. I dont know about you, but if you put in the equations and calculations, of course youll get marks. The examiners WANT you to get marks, they are their to maximise your marks. They are examining you on what you know, not what you dont know or cant do.

dwatt

HSC
About the Industrial Chemistry equilibrium reaction. It said "first hand investigation" - our school watched a video of people putting up umbrellas and putting down umbrellas...now that modelled the reaction. Dot point 2(a) of the syllabus

"...perform a first-hand investigation to model an equilibrium reaction"

Dot point 2(b)

"perform a first hand investigation....to qualitatively analyse an equilibrium reaction"

But take a look at question i)

"Outline the procedure used and the results you obtained"

How do you gain results from a model? Like the umbrella test or beads of whatever.

ii) Identify a risk associated with this procedure

Now - this doesn't really seem to apply to a "model" of an equilibrium reaction. There is nothing risky about modelling something! But - there IS something risky about using nitrogen dioxide to model an equilibrium reaction in 2No2 <-> N2O4. So the question seems to infer this!

iii) Describe how it models equilibrium and state a limitation.

THis could fit for either. The NO2 prac models equilibrium via an observable colour change when you cool/heat/pressurise it. A limitation is the inability to increase partial pressure of NO2.

So what is going on? It seems like the question was up for interpreattion, though it DID ask for the model, not the analysis.

Armenikum

HSC
dwatt said:
About the Industrial Chemistry equilibrium reaction. It said "first hand investigation" - our school watched a video of people putting up umbrellas and putting down umbrellas...now that modelled the reaction. Dot point 2(a) of the syllabus

"...perform a first-hand investigation to model an equilibrium reaction"

Dot point 2(b)

"perform a first hand investigation....to qualitatively analyse an equilibrium reaction"

But take a look at question i)

"Outline the procedure used and the results you obtained"

How do you gain results from a model? Like the umbrella test or beads of whatever.

ii) Identify a risk associated with this procedure

Now - this doesn't really seem to apply to a "model" of an equilibrium reaction. There is nothing risky about modelling something! But - there IS something risky about using nitrogen dioxide to model an equilibrium reaction in 2No2 <-> N2O4. So the question seems to infer this!

iii) Describe how it models equilibrium and state a limitation.

THis could fit for either. The NO2 prac models equilibrium via an observable colour change when you cool/heat/pressurise it. A limitation is the inability to increase partial pressure of NO2.

So what is going on? It seems like the question was up for interpreattion, though it DID ask for the model, not the analysis.

Results of the model would be deduced from the observations of a constant *whatever you did with water or beads*

ravdawg

HSC
Yeah u got a point, but for several of the models u could hav results eg for mine the transfering of water from two test tubes with two diff sized pipettes, the results was after several repititions the vol ofwater stayed the same in both test tubes.

In regards to the risks i had to bs and said to becareful about breaking glassware and that if u do break it u hav to clean it up straight away LOL.

i dont think they'd really care and give away free marks with the risk, i mean u for most of the models there were very few risks at all, u just hav to b aware that in a lab the worst poss scenario could go wrong so theres always risks.

dwatt

HSC
Armenikum said:
When you paint the beads with stripes you can get harmful paint on your skin, so wash with copious amounts of water - also, some paints may contain lead in it, which is toxic by all routes of exposure.
No offense, and you probably were more correct to say that, but if the BOS Chemistry markers will pay that risk more than nitrogen dioxide poisoning, something is very, very wrong.

Why the hell did they put "risk" in there? It was a confusing question in my opinion.

Armenikum

HSC
dwatt said:
No offense, and you probably were more correct to say that, but if the BOS Chemistry markers will pay that risk more than nitrogen dioxide poisoning, something is very, very wrong.

Why the hell did they put "risk" in there? It was a confusing question in my opinion.
Buddy if you can find a greater risk in putting beads in a box and removing them, please, tell me. I agree with you on your point, but again, it's a model - and if they want to write vague questions - they can get vague answers :p

To be honest, I didnt think my risk was too bad, it could happen and im sure that the model i used has that risk attached to it. Again, wouldnt using the NO2 example, be something other than a model?

Really, this question was vague in respect to the answers that could be written for it.

jacksdharma

HSC
REASON FOR NOT DOING FLAME TEST:

The reason for not conducting the flame test is the mixing of the cation and anions. Normally when conducting a flame test you use a variety of metallic ions which have a common salt base such as Cl. This allows you to distinguish between the metals as the Cl remains constant in all of them. Since the compounds had a differing anion, NO3, Cl, CO3, there was no way of identifying them correctly.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
jacksdharma said:
REASON FOR NOT DOING FLAME TEST:

The reason for not conducting the flame test is the mixing of the cation and anions. Normally when conducting a flame test you use a variety of metallic ions which have a common salt base such as Cl. This allows you to distinguish between the metals as the Cl remains constant in all of them. Since the compounds had a differing anion, NO3, Cl, CO3, there was no way of identifying them correctly.
Maybe I shouldn't have placed a line thorugh 'They should be elemental'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)