Answers to General Maths Exam (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thanks to the person that uploaded the exam. I'm an advanced student, but a lot of my friends do the standard course. Just wanted to see the questions they've talked about.

angusb

HSC
N/A
I dont know if this has been asked, but with MC-number 3, why is it (A) and not (C)? just curious.

savio23q

Band
HSC
If for Q27 (a) (i) and (ii) I didn't give the answer to the nearest km or hour, will they still award me the marks? Im worried that they may not give me full marks coz I wrote "8377.58" and the hours one I think I wrote "9 hours 11 mins"

P.S Isn't the skewness of a graph determined by mean-mode? Q26 (b) (ii), I got the mean as 66 or something and the mode was the class centre of 61-65 which was 63. i.e 66(mean)-63(mode) = 3...the number is positive hence it is positively skewed...

Can anyone confirm anything...please? :)

Not 100% though. But very sure that the skewness is determined by mean-mode.

PC

HSC
N/A
savio23q said:
If for Q27 (a) (i) and (ii) I didn't give the answer to the nearest km or hour, will they still award me the marks? Im worried that they may not give me full marks coz I wrote "8377.58" and the hours one I think I wrote "9 hours 11 mins"
Given the number of marks for each question, I think you'll be OK, but the markers could make a harsh call on it.

savio23q said:
Isn't the skewness of a graph determined by mean-mode? Q26 (b) (ii), I got the mean as 66 or something and the mode was the class centre of 61-65 which was 63. i.e 66(mean)-63(mode) = 3...the number is positive hence it is positively skewed...
No. You just look at a plot of the distribution. Most of the numbers are between 61 and 75 and the other ages tail off back toward zero, in a negative direction, so negatively skewed.

You could use your rule, but I think it would be mode – mean, so you'd get –3 which indicates negative skew. I'm just thinking of how I could apply that rule to positively skewed graphs.

Stress.

HSC
angusb said:
I dont know if this has been asked, but with MC-number 3, why is it (A) and not (C)? just curious.
the answer is A) 4 and NOT C)24 because the 4 is already in the 20's row. thats how stem-and-leaf plot dooze it ;)

peter_aek

HSC
PC said:
-----
2008 GENERAL MATHS HSC EXAM

SECTION I
3. A
18. A

SECTION II
QUESTION 23

(b) 0.4%

Thank you so much for doing the answers. If you dont mind me being an arse could I see the logic for some of the questions.

For question 3. Is the value of N 4 or should it be 24 as that is what the value of N is rather than what N represents.

Also for 18, im very curious to see why it is A.

Also 23B. The percentage error, how did you work that out..

Thanks heaps

angusb

HSC
N/A
Stress. said:
the answer is A) 4 and NOT C)24 because the 4 is already in the 20's row. thats how stem-and-leaf plot dooze it ;)
Yes i understand that the number there should be 4, however doesnt that represent the value of 24? ive done a question like this before and it was the larger number, so not sure. but thanks for ur help.

nayxx

HSC
Dudes you'se sound like you'se aced this exam! I dead set failed =( Only spent 10 minutes on m/c and I didn't study. Oh well, only maths. anyone else fail? Well maths is over forever!

least it wasn't your birthday! LOLS what a champ maxy! hahahah

Last edited:

PC

HSC
N/A
peter_aek said:
For question 3. Is the value of N 4 or should it be 24 as that is what the value of N is rather than what N represents.

Also for 18, im very curious to see why it is A.

Also 23B. The percentage error, how did you work that out..

Thanks heaps
Q3
The minimum score is clearly 24. BUT we need to find the value represented by N. In the leaf we give the units digit, so it's just 4. A 4 in that particular row really means 24, but N here is 4.

Q18
Since the first letter of the number plate is M, there is only 1 way for this to happen,
so
Total number of ways = 1 x 26 x 10 x 10 x 26 x 26
= 263 x 102

Q23 (b)
Measurement = 1.25 litres
Precision = 10 mL = 0.010 litres (this was the trick)
Absolute error = 1/2 x 0.010 = 0.005 litres
Percentage error = 0.005/1.25 x 100 = 0.4%

chair

HSC
Kiim2507 said:
Can someone explain the 1/15 for 24 b) (iv)

I got 1/20

:(

Also how do you do 24 c)

And I also got 0.2mL/min
Hopefully they'll accept both because the question didn't really specify
there is also 421 which makes it 1/15

latinserb

HSC
wow...i have a concussion and i managed to get 70 according to pc.....impressed:)

congrats to all those high achievers...:D

madiii

HSC
sooo i kinda thought id done ok for my last minute cramming outside the hall.
apparently not, 33%
haha there u go, guess i should have studied =]
oh well all u ppl ho want good uai's I AM HELPING YOU BY FAILING! lolll

Insanic

HSC
question 23 b)

The capacity of a bottle is measured as 1.25 litres correct to the nearest 10 millilitres.

What is the percentage error for this measurement?

you guys say its 0.4% but if it is meaured to nearst 10 millilitres dont you half it and it then the absolute error becomes 0.05

so 0.05/1.25 x 100 = 4% ????????

Grieg

HSC
did anyone else feel the maths exam was incredibly hard....like wtf?? i thought i was good at maths....but i jst got absolutely rooted by this one...

nayxx

HSC
Grieg said:
did anyone else feel the maths exam was incredibly hard....like wtf?? i thought i was good at maths....but i jst got absolutely rooted by this one...
YEP! I did. Where was all the statistics stuff! I'm so gun at that. eff the BOS they can go die.

nessaitalianbel

HSC
Omfg I Absolutely Died In It!! Wtf Wass Wrong Wif D Board Of Studies In Making Such A Difficlt Exam......wtf Does General Mean 2 Them!! There Goes My Uai!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)