Answers to General Maths Exam (1 Viewer)

savio23q

Band
HSC
Hey PC, if for Q27 (a) (i) and (ii) I didn't give the answer to the nearest km or hour, will they still award me the marks? Im worried that they may not give me full marks coz I wrote "8377.58" and the hours one I think I wrote "9 hours 11 mins" :(

EDIT: Isn't the skewness of a graph determined by mean-mode? Q26 (b) (ii), I got the mean as 66 or something and the mode was the class centre of 61-65 which was 63. i.e 66(mean)-63(mode) = 3...the number is positive hence it is positively skewed...

Not 100% though. But very sure that the skewness is determined by mean-mode. :)

Last edited:

bling05

HSC
PC - did you notice that question 27 a iii says (Ignore time zones), so does that not mean its simply 9 hours (ans from part ii) after 10pm, which is 7am.

bee.

HSC
Q2C-ME said:
for that one i got 0.2 ml/min....im thinking im wrong cause every1 else is not getting my answers :(...grrr!...i think its 0.2 because they have given you 1.6 standard drinks...and the MAXIMUM is one standard drink so hence you have to convert
I also got 0.2 mL/min...

asylumgirl

HSC
was there a problem with the bmi question. it seemed wrong to me. it was phrased like this
21< B <25.
the < are less than or equal to.

i thought it should have been phrased like 21>B<25. anyone else think the same?

Shezz90

HSC
umss ii think qu 28 part b is wrongg =S , ii got it decreased by 0.5m =D

Kiim2507

HSC
asylumgirl said:
was there a problem with the bmi question. it seemed wrong to me. it was phrased like this
21< B <25.
the < are less than or equal to.

i thought it should have been phrased like 21>B<25. anyone else think the same?
Nah cos it means
21 is less than B
and
B is less than 25

Cerry

HSC
avibauer said:
but didnt it say ignore time zones?
Yes. I just freaked out because I'd ignored the time zones, and no one else on here seemed to have done so, so I got my copy of the paper. Anyone who added a 5 hour time difference is in fact wrong - it's 7am, not 12pm.

Also, did anyone else find it impossible to prove 28bi? I tried everything I could think of, and couldn't get it to work out, and there are at least 3 other people in my class who had the same problem.

savio23q

Band
HSC
Cerry said:
Yes. I just freaked out because I'd ignored the time zones, and no one else on here seemed to have done so, so I got my copy of the paper. Anyone who added a 5 hour time difference is in fact wrong - it's 7am, not 12pm.

Also, did anyone else find it impossible to prove 28bi? I tried everything I could think of, and couldn't get it to work out, and there are at least 3 other people in my class who had the same problem.
I don't think that that's what it meant by "time zones"...

When the plane left Kenya at 10pm Tuesday, it was 3am Wednesday in Borneo. So if the plane left Kenya when it was 3am Wednesday in Borneo and took 9 hours to get there, it would've been 12pm Wednesday.

What you're saying (7am Wednesday) is in fact the time in Kenya when the plane arrived in Borneo.

That's my opinion..

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
savio23q said:

When the plane left Kenya at 10pm Tuesday, it was 3am Wednesday in Borneo. So if the plane left Kenya when it was 3am Wednesday in Borneo and took 9 hours to get there, it would've been 12pm Wednesday.

What you're saying (7am Wednesday) is in fact the time in Kenya when the plane arrived in Borneo.

That's my opinion..
i agree...they just add that timezone jargon so people dont do any GMT + are account for daylight savings...if you look at practice papers and even past papers they corrobrate this question

courtneyy

Lover of the HSC
HSC
taker0 said:
wtf is this maths?? are they allwed to ask this lol. i said something about baby booming lol
Me too! hahahaha

ccc123

HSC
savio23q said:

That's my opinion..
This is correct. You still have to do the GMT shit, its just that in real life there are zones where places with different co-ordinates have the same time. And it said to ignore that.

Cerry

HSC
What are the time zones that are being ignored then? It threw me, because local time kind of implies that you're taking time zones into account, but I can't work out what it meant otherwise.

*Edit* If the timezones, are, as people are saying, the weird ass places like Russia and China where everyone works on the same time despite differences in latitude, when have we ever been asked to take them into account?

lollipopxo

HSC
Cerry said:

ignore the time zones is a reference to the international date line, in all the past hsc papers that have asked questions like this they have infact added the time difference (as in added the 5 hours)

samali

HSC
Q2C-ME said:
i agree...they just add that timezone jargon so people dont do any GMT + are account for daylight savings...if you look at practice papers and even past papers they corrobrate this question
yeah definately, for a 2 mark question it wouldnt be something as simple as "add 9 hours to 7pm". you cant just ignore what the different time is in another country hahah awhen it says LOCAL TIME IN BORNEO i think the keyword is local.... not what is the time in kenya when you arrive in borneo. pretty sure the answer's definately 12 midday wednesday hey

Kiim2507

HSC
It just means ignore actually time zones
Because it Maths 15 degrees = 1 hour but it's different in 'real life'
So just incase you happened to know the real time difference between Kenya and Borneo then ignore that

Roy9

HSC
savio23q said:

That's my opinion..
This.

courtneyy

Lover of the HSC
HSC
Kiim2507 said:
It just means ignore actually time zones
Because it Maths 15 degrees = 1 hour but it's different in 'real life'
So just incase you happened to know the real time difference between Kenya and Borneo then ignore that
I agree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)