anti's Guide to Writing Creatively (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Logix said:
ok im using that storyline :p

but r u supposed to write from a first person, 2nd person, or 3rd person?

Haha go ahead, I have no need of it :)

It doesn't matter, as long as you stick to a perspective (good creative writers may disagree with me, but we're keeping it simple). The easiest is 3rd person. 1st person is a bit more personal so use it for very emotional, soul searching texts. 2nd person puts the reader right into the hot seat, is terribly hard to write effectively in, and is also pretty hard to read.

Practise writing a few paragraphs in first / third person and see which you like better. If you start writing in first person and revert to third then stick to third person (a lot of people do this!!)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Equally inappropriate. It's very frustrating to read a piece that goes all over the place.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeah, I did it in 02. I don't remember what I got :D too long ago. This is spam so pm me if you want anything else or keep it on topic :D ta.

J

jhakka

Anti, having read that I feel better about creative writing now. :)

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Oh and another thing do you think this is a good idea for a creative writing piece or will the teachers just get psised off
Okay like we are writing from a perspective of an object , and we dont reveal this until right at the end..... ??? so its a skewed perspective.. i mean its different isnt it?
But will the teacher's be thinking who/what the fuck is writing this ????????
BOOM D+ ?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Seraph said:
Oh and another thing do you think this is a good idea for a creative writing piece or will the teachers just get psised off
Okay like we are writing from a perspective of an object , and we dont reveal this until right at the end..... ??? so its a skewed perspective.. i mean its different isnt it?
But will the teacher's be thinking who/what the fuck is writing this ????????
BOOM D+ ?

That's why you have to make it obvious throughout the piece, without actually stating what the object is. The idea behind most of those kinds of pieces is that the reader thinks it's a human talking, then they realise at the end that it's not human. If they read it again they'll notice all the things throughout it which indicate that it's actually a mousepad or a lamp or something (eg. it never moves, or it talks to other inanimate objects, or something)

If the reader is thinking 'who/what is writing this?' you're not making it clear enough.

Logix

nah, it hink thats a good idea, but its hard to write from that perspective, not many objects that u can write from.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
anti said:
That's why you have to make it obvious throughout the piece, without actually stating what the object is. The idea behind most of those kinds of pieces is that the reader thinks it's a human talking, then they realise at the end that it's not human. If they read it again they'll notice all the things throughout it which indicate that it's actually a mousepad or a lamp or something (eg. it never moves, or it talks to other inanimate objects, or something)

If the reader is thinking 'who/what is writing this?' you're not making it clear enough.
yea thats what i try to do....

so it is an okay idea???

cool :D

although sometimes the stimulus you get doesn't favour this idea lol .... but good if i can use it ,
Logix , if its like in a particular room , its very easy.... but if its out in the open it gets a bit harder
unless you reveal yourself as the sky or the sun or something which is pretty lame ..... "Fry humans fry..." Nark...

oh and i love the "stream of metaphors" idea , if no one minds me using the idea i think ill call mine "mountain of metaphors" :D

J

jhakka

I wanted to write from the perspective of a half digested piece of meat and its compulsory inner journey. :p

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
ANTI = "I've noticed quite a lot of you are struggling with the creative writing section of the paper, and I hope my advice can be of use to you. Creative writing is by far my favourite part of the English paper because for me it requires no prior study :D............"

I've been stressin over this. U may have just saved my ass. I only have 4 more words....

WILL U MARRY ME?!

[hahahahaha - told u i was stressin....]

Last edited:

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
P.S - one of the girls in my class did a really good Creative Writtin thing 4 her trials -- she wrote a narrative from the perspective OF THE JOURNEY [as in - she personified the journey]....i know at least 20 ppl who are gunna do something like that in the exam now! :D

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Anti and whoever else, do you think it's bad to include the following, even when proper context:

• Swearing
  • Racism or discriminatory comments, such as about race, religion etc.
  • cliche's
  • storyies that are too unrealistic

Also, whats the best tense and perspective to write stories from?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
racism and discriminatory comments are unacceptable in ANY context and in ANY situation (the HSC is no exception) in my opinion....

santaslayer

HSC
Someone got wrapped over the knuckles in their 4U English major work. It detailed the death of Prime Minister John Howard. :p

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
Fire_Hydra said:
P.S - one of the girls in my class did a really good Creative Writtin thing 4 her trials -- she wrote a narrative from the perspective OF THE JOURNEY [as in - she personified the journey]....i know at least 20 ppl who are gunna do something like that in the exam now! :D
how does that work?

barbie_doll

HSC
Section II
15 marks
Attempt Question 2
Allow about 40minutes for this section
Answer the question in a SEPARATE English Paper 1 Writing Booklet.
Extra English Paper 1 Writing Booklets are available.

under all of that on your exam paper you will find the little what you would call rubrics that let you know what's going on...

In your answer you will be assessed on how well you :
*express understanding of change in the context of your studies
*use language appropriate to audience, purpose and context

*organise, develop and express ideas using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context

*organise, develop and express ideas using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context

i know most of you already know this, but this is just a clarification for all those who were stressing over the use of texts in this section.

good luck on monday and wednesday [and with all the other subjects] :cool:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
jumb said:
Anti and whoever else, do you think it's bad to include the following, even when proper context:

• Swearing
  • Racism or discriminatory comments, such as about race, religion etc.
  • cliche's
  • storyies that are too unrealistic

Also, whats the best tense and perspective to write stories from?

Swearing is acceptable in appropriate contexts, but avoid using colloquialisms.

Racism and discrimination .. well, let me just say that if a marker realises they are offended by a particular response they will pass it to another marker to mark. I don't know how this will influence your mark but consider that markers already have enough work to do let alone someone else's...!

Cliches are fine. Cliches are cliches because they have been written about time and time again. All you have to do is make your cliche stand out from the other cliches.

Unrealistic? Give me some examples?

The best - I assume you mean 'easiest' - tense to write in is usually past tense (she left the house) because you can stick to it and most people lapse from present tense into past tense anyway. The easiest perspective is third (Anne took her book from the shelf) although writing in first person (I looked at the calendar) can create a stronger intimacy between reader and character. Depends on the context and what you're trying to get across I suppose, although if you're struggling stick to third person past tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)