Anu 2013 (1 Viewer)

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
Just finished my first year at ANU.

If your still on the fence. GET OVER HERE.

Canberra will probably be surprisingly much more exciting than you expected.
If you want to do research, seriously no other better place in Australia to be.

Accept your offer. Pack your bags. And take the bus/plane to frosty Canberra.

See you guys next year.

sirquack

HSC
So what's the campus like Chazure? And how hot/cold are we talking on average per year? Is it bearable?

Vernx

HSC
Hi guys! I'll be heading to ANU next year too! But,gosh,I got Fenner Hall and it's like so far away. Can anyone tell me how's it like?

clarg

HSC
I'm making the voyage from familiar old Sydney to the strange land that is Canberra next year. Picked Bruce as 1st preference, sorta worried though because everyone seems to be picking Bruce =s

sirquack

HSC
Does anyone know if you need to enrol into both a lecture and tutorial for every class when we enrol for first semester?

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Hi guys! I'll be heading to ANU next year too! But,gosh,I got Fenner Hall and it's like so far away. Can anyone tell me how's it like?
Are you serious? It's 'far away' if you are missing a leg, yes. Otherwise you can just walk it - it's not far. Alternately, you can bike it or take the dedicated bus. Geez.

Procyon11

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know if you need to enrol into both a lecture and tutorial for every class when we enrol for first semester?
Good question. You'd think that'd be the case, as then everything's planned. Lectures are fixed (or at least they are for me - Engineering, Maths, Physics). But maybe tutorials are flexible, I don't know? I do know that they organise you into 'tutorial groups', so maybe not.

The ANU website says:
Before enrolling, you should plan the courses you want to undertake in your program. Study at ANU and lecture timetable will help you plan your enrolment. If you are still unsure of the courses you wish to undertake, academic advisers will be available during your enrolment session.
Also, you can start planning your timetable ahead of time here!

I may just head in and ask them in person one of these days, I have some other questions to ask them anyway. See you people sometime first semester.

Last edited:

sirquack

HSC
Thanks. :) Also, do you have any idea about timetabling? I have no idea which, out of these classes, I have to pick between and what groups, sessions and lectures A, B, etc mean. And I seem to have clashes indicated by sad faces Help? :)

timetable.jpg

Procyon11

HSC
Uni Grad
They'll tell you all the course structures and workloads during enrollments and O-Week. However, reading the course description of LAWS1203 it says that the first two weeks will encompass four hours of lectures. Therefore, it would seem that you either choose to be in Lecture Group 1 or 2, depending on what time you want to be at uni, potential clashes with other courses and availability of places in the group (so get in early to get the lecture time-slots you want)!

So if you went in Group 1, you'd have Thursday and Friday off! Jeez, you law students have no contact hours... For comparison, my timetable will look something like this: timetable.png; ie 12 lectures per week, one engineering, maths and statistics tutorial per week, plus 8 three hour assessed physics labs, plus study time and other assignments!

:bomb:

The English lectures A and B are just the two lectures that everyone in that course needs to attend every week. Workload: 24 hours of lectures (ie 2 a week) and one hour of tutorials per week.

Signing up to tutorials generally happens in the first week, through Wattle.

I think those clashes are there because someone in the law department set-up the timetable wrong. They are likely to be the same two-hour lecture (noted by the cont.), just duplicated in the computer listing. If you look at the setup for the lectures later in the week, they are of the same format, but the second hour is not entered in duplicate. This timetable is obviously still in beta!

Last edited:

Procyon11

HSC
Uni Grad
No worries!

Enrollment is generally during O-Week (unless you're a local like me and get to do it the week before). The website seems to indicate you could potentially enroll in undergrad law online...

But don't worry about that now - they'll send you a letter sometime before the end of this month with all the enrollment information you need!

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I'm unsure what there is to be confused about ? It clearly states:

Programs that offer enrolment completely online:

Undergraduate law programs - domestic students only (students will be sent information about their enrolment)

sirquack

HSC
Just that it says enrolment will be online and then provides a date for enrollment in person.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
...For comparison, my timetable will look something like this: View attachment 27404; ie 12 lectures per week, one engineering, maths and statistics tutorial per week, plus 8 three hour assessed physics labs, plus study time and other assignments!
I think mine is looking worse at this stage (tutes aren't included for stat and anth). I've got 12 hours of lectures (2 hours of which have clashes), and then like 12 hours of tutes/practicals, then added time for study and phb research :/ oh yeh, and I'm looking to work 6 hours.

clearly, my timetable is broken, and needs fixing somehow.

timetable draft 1.jpg

Procyon11

HSC
Uni Grad
I think mine is looking worse at this stage
Indeed. I'm lucky that I don't have any clashes... yet...

I think our workloads will end up being quite similar. I'm in the B Engineering (R&D) / B Science degree. So lots of extra time for research projects here too. A friend of mine is doing the same degree as you, though with a pure theoretical mathematics focus.

This is where being a local is useful, free board and food with the parents. Then Youth Allowance = no need to work. Moreso, no time to work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)