• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ANU - B commerce (1 Viewer)

jadenpark

HSC
Hi guys.
I ve got offers from ANU b commerce and uni of Sydney b arts and
I just don't understand why ANU commerce requires 75~80 UAI cut off even though it has quite good reputation in the world.

can anyone explain to me?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
jadenpark said:
Hi guys.
I ve got offers from ANU b commerce and uni of Sydney b arts and
I just don't understand why ANU commerce requires 75~80 UAI cut off even though it has quite good reputation in the world.

can anyone explain to me?
Simple explanation.

UAI is not based off the course quality. It's based off the demand for places. So, a plae like ANU, being in Canberra, less people would want to relocate. Thus, it has less demand than USYD, which is able to select from a much larger population.

ecokid101

HSC
but if it was a quality course, demand would be higher and enterscore increased

therefore we can conclude that the quality of ANU commerce is indeed not that great.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The UAI at ANU for commerce isn't based on supply and demand. Most courses at ANU (finance, actuarial, international relations and law being exceptions) have their UAIs set by the university prior to results being released. That's why the university can offer a guaranteed place to people who have gotten over a certain UAI. (Actually, just to qualify that, I check the ANU website and I'm not sure if they're doing that again this year... it's a shame if they aren't).

Just by the by, ANU's economics and actuarial degrees are considered to be the best, or close to the best in Australia according to a Melbourne institute survey that I read a while back, but unfortunately can't find now. Commerce, isn't as well regarded, but is still up there.

Regardless of rankings though, basing your decision exclusively on perceived prestige and the courses UAI cut off is stupid. Make your decision based on whether you'd prefer to do arts or commerce.

jadenpark

HSC
neo o said:
Just by the by, ANU's economics and actuarial degrees are considered to be the best, or close to the best in Australia according to a Melbourne institute survey that I read a while back, but unfortunately can't find now. Commerce, isn't as well regarded, but is still up there.

thanks for replying.
ANU's economics, does it mean B economics?

blacksunset

HSC
ecokid101 said:

therefore we can conclude that the quality of ANU commerce is indeed not that great.
untrue - either you are just trying to wind people up or you are sticking your nose where you shouldnt!

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
ecokid101 said:

you seem to have a habit of selectively reading posts you like, which allows you to grasp at straws when posting your own post.

ANU's UAIs are NOT a function of supply and demand.

at another university they ARE.

at ANU they are NOT.

demand can go up and at ANU, the score will remain STATIC.

you also seem to be blindingly assuming people treat ANU like a magnet, i.e. they are attracted to it due to its prestige. you might be forgetting ANU is in canberra, which 9/10 year 12 interstate kids finding a university to go to, would not class it as a kickass place to spend their young-adult lives.

Last edited:

sparkerasp

HSC
jas0nt said:
you seem to have a habit of selectively reading posts you like, which allows you to grasp at straws when posting your own post.

ANU's UAIs are NOT a function of supply and demand.

at another university they ARE.

at ANU they are NOT.

demand can go up and at ANU, the score will remain STATIC.

you also seem to be blindingly assuming people treat ANU like a magnet, i.e. they are attracted to it due to its prestige. you might be forgetting ANU is in canberra, which 9/10 year 12 interstate kids finding a university to go to, would not class it as a kickass place to spend their young-adult lives.
It would probably have been better to ignore him, but I like your post anyway. ANU is in Canberra and I doubt many people would want to move down there because of it's "...boring...", hence why the UAIs are generally quite low, not many people have the desire to got to Canberra (i.e. some people don't like change).

Seriously, I'm going down to ANU quite soon for a small tour (unfortunately I missed the open day) and I really am looking forward to it.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
sparkerasp said:
Seriously, I'm going down to ANU quite soon for a small tour (unfortunately I missed the open day) and I really am looking forward to it.
glad to hear mate. personally i find canberra a nice place to study... most of the population are educated public-servants, roads are nice and easy to drive on, buses are pretty damn good, and ANU is a damn-fine university in itself. three years living in canberra won't hurt you, plus sydney is 2.5 hours away anyway :) plus it's not like you're the only interstate guy, probably 90% of your residential-college would be too so everyone's in the same boat.

either way you sound like an educated guy so i don't think persuading you is necessary.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
jas0nt said:
glad to hear mate. personally i find canberra a nice place to study... most of the population are educated public-servants, roads are nice and easy to drive on, buses are pretty damn good, and ANU is a damn-fine university in itself. three years living in canberra won't hurt you, plus sydney is 2.5 hours away anyway :) plus it's not like you're the only interstate guy, probably 90% of your residential-college would be too so everyone's in the same boat.

either way you sound like an educated guy so i don't think persuading you is necessary.
The roads are nice, the drivers aren't.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
sparkerasp said:
Sydney's more like 3-3.5 hours away isn't it?
depends if you're a stud driver or a woman driver.

if you're a super-stud like me you can do it in 2.5 easily. :cool:

sparkerasp

HSC
jas0nt said:
if you're a super-stud like me you can do it in 2.5 easily. :cool:
I'm assuming your definition of "super-stud" is one that always drives at the maximum speed limit. If that is the definition, than, yes that is me. Nice, I like ANU even better now!

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
sparkerasp said:
I'm assuming your definition of "super-stud" is one that always drives at the maximum speed limit. If that is the definition, than, yes that is me. Nice, I like ANU even better now!
uhhh sure... 'speed limit'... ehheeheh

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
lol the greyhound bus does the trip in 3 - 3.5 hours. I'm sure you can beat that :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)